mark roberts

ayr

I don't think Watt would have any bad blood with Ayr, He took over, signed the core of his successful Stranraer team, realized he wasn't going to replicate his success fairly rapidly and walked away before any pressure from the fans even started and his waster signings went to the juniors or off with stress....

This is why I would be concerned with Aitken, has a team made up of guys who have not made the grade elsewhere and got them playing as a team, this doesn't work every time.

The club is at a critical stage, fans are breaking a habit some have had for 30-40 years and walking away from the club, the wrong appointment or no signs of recovery in the first few weeks could see the average attendance level off at 600-800 at home games for the foreseeable future

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard Roberts being interviewed on Radio Scotland, He said he wasn't shocked to get sacked, results weren't good and confidence was low and a lot of that was down to injuries.

He and the board were confident that things would improve but fans made it clear they didn't want him there and the board had to act.

I agree with him to a point, things would probably improve, we probably wouldn't get relegated and maybe even have got back into the play-off spots with 21 games still to go, it is possible anything could have happened.

But the last 2 years have shown that we are inconsistent..................consistently, good performances are very few and far between and when we have strung 4-5 good results in a row they normally include a high % of draws and are normally followed by a hiding

So I don't think the board could potentially write off another five months with him in charge when in all likelihood that they would not renew his contract for next season anyway.

He also said scoring in the play-off final was the best moment of his playing career

Let's look at our results v Junior/highland league sides in recent years

Hurlford 3-5 Ayr

Ayr 2-1 Crusaders

Cumnock 0-5 Ayr

Girvan 0-3 Ayr

Ayr 5-0 Sunnybank

That's just of the top of my head. Fucking easy

Wow!............I`m sitting up and taking notice.

I don't think Watt would have any bad blood with Ayr, He took over, signed the core of his successful Stranraer team, realized he wasn't going to replicate his success fairly rapidly and walked away before any pressure from the fans even started and his waster signings went to the juniors or off with stress....

This is why I would be concerned with Aitken, has a team made up of guys who have not made the grade elsewhere and got them playing as a team, this doesn't work every time.

The club is at a critical stage, fans are breaking a habit some have had for 30-40 years and walking away from the club, the wrong appointment or no signs of recovery in the first few weeks could see the average attendance level off at 600-800 at home games for the foreseeable

future

Nonsense!

Bell proved himself at a higher leve, Longworth a proven goalscorer before he signed, Robertson played a few seasons at a higher level, Gibson, Chris Aitken had won promotion from this division.

That's just a few.

Nonsense!

Bell proved himself at a higher leve, Longworth a proven goalscorer before he signed, Robertson played a few seasons at a higher level, Gibson, Chris Aitken had won promotion from this division.

That's just a few.

Has bell really proved himself at a higher level? He spent so long out the game i don't think it can be counted tbh.

Has bell really proved himself at a higher level? He spent so long out the game i don't think it can be counted tbh.

With the amount of time he's been out since it could be considered irrelevant but with Stirling and yourselves he showed that he was a quality Championship player, despite most of that Stirling team being hopelessly out of their depth at that level.

In any case, the past relationship Aitken, his brother or Neil Watt have had with Ayr fans isn't going to come into it: it won't happen because Stranraer to Ayr isn't a step up just now. There's no guarantee he'd be willing to leave them for Dunfermline or Morton, never mind an Ayr side that are in a relegation battle.

With the amount of time he's been out since it could be considered irrelevant but with Stirling and yourselves he showed that he was a quality Championship player, despite most of that Stirling team being hopelessly out of their depth at that level.

In any case, the past relationship Aitken, his brother or Neil Watt have had with Ayr fans isn't going to come into it: it won't happen because Stranraer to Ayr isn't a step up just now. There's no guarantee he'd be willing to leave them for Dunfermline or Morton, never mind an Ayr side that are in a relegation battle.

Yes without his injury it isn't in doubt he's good championship player, but it did happen and needs to be considered, i doubt we'll see him ft again.

2nd part is obvious, he need to spend 2-3 years at ayr and do a good job at turning them around to get a championship gig, whilst if he was to stay he's already in a position to step up. It simply isn't worth his time.

As ever the fact Ayr would pay him a lot more would probably outweigh that. Wouldn't be my choice though. He's built one team, credit to him for that. Doesn't mean he can build another.

Nonsense!

That's just a few.

Its not nonsense

I'm not trying to mark down Aitkens achievements at Stranraer or any of the team, but they all signed for Stranraer for a reason and it was probably where they had landed, all credit to Aitken in achieving what he has.

McLeod was the master at building a team full of no-marks in to world beaters and it looks like Roberts had the reverse effect

I have a lot of time for Roberts as a person as a gaffer; no. I spoke to him quite a few times during his time at Ayr. Said Moffat was best striker he'd played with. the playoff goal eclipsed his goal against Rangers at 17, best night in an Ayr shirt was the Hibs game followed by Hearts in the cup. I hope he does sign for Hurlford and continues banging in goals. May have lost the pace but not the technique.

As for the new manager; Aitken or Lennon for me.

Archived