Weather-games off

pleslie99

I assume today will be the start of the never-ending games off cry for everyone playing on grass, it's frustrating and a killer for fixtures at the end of the season when some teams play 3 games a week and struggle to get teams. 3G is obviously the way forward but there isn't enough pitches to go round and a lot of teams don't want to pay the higher prices. Why doesn't amateur football play in the summer? This would mean more games on, better pitches and people would get to go to support their senior team which in turn increases attendances a cross Scottish football. Just a thought

In my opinion football should be played on grass unless it HAS to be fulfilled. There are aome shocking 3G surfaces out their which completely spoils the game. Has a right kick about or pub league feel about the matches IMO. It's frustrating but we live in Scotland.

Ideally I'd like to see clubs/councils take more pride in their parks. Maybe tarpaulin the danger area etc

I agree with likelylad. 3G is handy for the scottish because theres nothing worse than a scottish game aff as u dont kick another ball in any other comp until fixture is fulfilled but football is about grass and shd be played on it. Summer football is great in theory but wd never work at our level as players wdnt trap for games

At this time of the year when the games get called off there is not much you can do when the grass parks are flooded but one thing that annoys me is when games are called off due to the frost.

There are some times the pitches are just as hard in the summer and the games are on but in the winter the games are off!!

Players do take holidays all year around, but the majority of holidays are still taken in the summer.

In addition a lot of pitches are maintained or even closed during the summer.

And how would you catch-up games postponed in September-October-November?

Those are the main issues with moving amateur leagues to March-November, IMO... player/official/committee availability; pitches; dealing with postponements.

Also, pre-season would be January/February, and cup finals October/November.

I agree with ur points however having a summer league would mean less postponments so that issue is taken away, also due to less postponments and lighter nights to accommodate midweek games then the season can be shorter meaning cup finals in August/September if the season was to start in March! At the end of the day a lot of teams don't kick a ball from October to February at the min due to the weather so I don't see the harm in giving it a go! It works in woman's football btw and that is majorly on the up at the moment

I don't imagine that "a lot" of teams "don't kick a ball" from "October to February". I think you're exaggerating quite substantially there.

Certain other points:

March to August is a playing season of only 6 months!! And my point stands - any match postponed after the end of August (or earlier if the 2 clubs aren't nearby) could only be rescheduled by extending the season. And extending into the potentially poorer weather. That is, clearly, problematic. And the matter of unavailable/closed pitches, and reduced availability of players owing to holidays/alternative leisure pursuits, is another fundemental problem.

Womens football has very few teams (just 63), a strong proportion of which use 3G pitches, and play a short season. Many clubs play 18-20 league games each has only 2 cups. To win the Scottish womens treble involves only 29 matches.

It's not that it's impossible - some amateur leagues do it and manage OK. It's whether the downsides of doing so are outweighed by the envisaged positives. And currently only the far north & the isles run summer leagues.

Unavailbale/closed pitches wouldn't be an issue as the council would close them in the winter instead of the summer as they do now. Players availability and leisure persuits wouldn't mean they miss more games than they do now, I'm sure players would miss more games as it is just now due to midweek fixtures interfereing in work commitments than they would 'in the summer on a Saturday' holidays is a poor excuse as granted most holidays are taken in the summer but not really an excuse to postpone matches and I'm sure the league's could let teams apply for a couple of free weeks per season if a number of their players were all away the same week, seeing as there wouldn't be as big a backlog of matches. I'm not saying it has to be done but it might be worth a consideration and a trial at some point. Think you would find the majority of players would prefer to play consistently on good pitches rather than mud baths that lend itself to one type of football, long ball.

Archived