Motherwell's Next Manager

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you could define regular top half finishes at Fir Park as anything other than success, let alone European football! A question for all of you: how does a Well fan define "sackable offence"?

McCall would be my pick for Manager of the Decade-so-far. His repeated over-achievement at his club has been against all odds, and it's a credit that he delayed the inevitable slump for several years. The least he's earned is your patience through a few difficult months.

Every Well fan apart from a couple of well known buffoons realise that what McCall has achieved is to be rightly lauded. He has delivered far more success in the league than any of us had any right to expect. Whatever the outcome I will remember him as the best manager since Tommy McLean.

Things however can quickly change and they have. The start of the season and the inept preparations for our Europa league failure have set the tone for this season. The spine of the team may be experienced, but that is also code for old and slow. Injuries have not helped, but now we have a full team to choose from his team selection is baffling .

Josh law should be nowhere near the team. And nor should Sutton, Lasley and McManus based on form, but yet they are the first names on the team sheet week in week out.

I am not sure we could afford to sack him if he does not walk away. He deserves the chance to take us through November, but if we are still in 11th or 12th place and show no signs of improving, then we need to make a change.

Some Motherwell fans called for McCall's head last season after their Cup defeat to the Rovers and a 5-0 hammering to Celtic, and he spent the rest of the season proving why those fans were wrong.

To borrow a cliché, he should be bomb proof. He has proven his ability to rebuild a team time and time again: it's taking a little longer this time but as long as he doesn't get you relegated (he won't) the team will come good once more.

I'd be interested to know about his ability to rebuild teams time and time again. The only time he's had to replace more than a couple of players was Summer 2013. The players he signed were ;

Gunnar Nielsen - incompetent-fail.

Stephen McManus - bombscare, cost us umpteen points -fail.

Fraser Kerr - young centre back inexplicably played at right wing constantly - fail.

Craig Reid- came in and done a job, scored a vital goal, dubiously given a two year extension. Success.

Paul Lawson - signed to play in a 3 man,possession based midfield, system scrapped after one game and dropped for months -fail.

Iain Vigurs - great when occasionally played in the right formation - success.

Lionel Ainsworth - roaring success in his first season, McCall decides to give him 4 minutes now and then.

Henri Anier - scored some important goals on loan, inexplicably dropped after signing a permanent contract before making some money off him. Success.

If the track record of the most successful manager in Motherwell's recent history isn't enough, the genuine "McCall out" brigade could always have a read through this thread, started eleven months ago, take a look at the current Premiership table, laugh loudly at KillieLBTR, Craigkillie etc., then look at themselves.

That's a hardly a like for like comparison though. Johnston's an inexperienced manager who was in his first season at this level, and the questions asked of his suitability for the job were over whether he was capable of learning to manage at this level, whether quickly enough or at all. The evidence of this season so far would suggest he has now improved, but that's irrelevant to McCall, who's been in his job for years, has done extremely well and is now seeing a total collapse. His previous successes mean that there does have to be some patience, but how much? How bad does it have to get before they end it?

You can just as easily produce examples of clubs who've persisted with a failing manager for too long as you can situations like Johnston, where standing by an underperforming manager has paid off.

Would Owen Coyle take it? He's not been offered anything since Wigan.

Although knowing the club it will be Scott Leitch which would be the worst decision since some German said "I know, let's just allow this Hitler chap to be chancellor."

This is what happens when the clown running the clubs Twitter account is allowed to run the club. Total shambles.

If Leitch got the job every County fan would wet themselves. Woeful gaffer think Malpas in Well terms. Alan Burrows could do the job after twitter to GM to player manager it all makes sense.....

I'd be interested to know about his ability to rebuild teams time and time again. The only time he's had to replace more than a couple of players was Summer 2013. The players he signed were ; Gunnar Nielsen - incompetent-fail. Stephen McManus - bombscare, cost us umpteen points -fail.Fraser Kerr - young centre back inexplicably played at right wing constantly - fail.Craig Reid- came in and done a job, scored a vital goal, dubiously given a two year extension. Success. Paul Lawson - signed to play in a 3 man,possession based midfield, system scrapped after one game and dropped for months -fail.Iain Vigurs - great when occasionally played in the right formation - success. Lionel Ainsworth - roaring success in his first season, McCall decides to give him 4 minutes now and then. Henri Anier - scored some important goals on loan, inexplicably dropped after signing a permanent contract before making some money off him. Success.

Vigurs is a success.? You must be watching a different game fae me

Archived