Motherwell's Next Manager

267 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need no reminder of what happened when they sacked their manager!

Something beautiful happened :)

Only people that weren't paying attention last season would think that its a sudden, spectacular collapse rather than a logical progression from the mass exodus we suffered at the end of the season before. We simply can't sustain that loss of talent with f**k all in transfer fees to allow us to replace them - which is a simple strategic failure at board level and the lack of leadership when we are in this state is more concerning than what's happening on the pitch.

Motherwell as a club aren't renowned for sacking managers and there haven't been many supporter protests at the main door over the years - but the time for the ruthless streak to come out is soon and if results go to form (and especially yet another early cup exit) then we need to get someone in before the end of the year and the before the change window.

So if I understand this right, the root cause of Motherwells poor performances this year lies with the strategic management at board level, failing to provide the resources to replace the assets they've lost - but the poor manager with a fairly remarkable recent track record should pay the price for his bosses failings? Wouldn't it be better simply to support McCall? Or is the problem that, good manager though he may be, he is unable to discover or attract the necessary replacements at a price Motherwell can afford?

He has to go, however I partly agree with Helpma. The club is rudderless from the top down; a confused business model, no cash, no investment in youth, bizarre player contracts, a stadium falling to bits - I could go on. In my opinion, this can be indirectly attributed to the "supporter owner" model that has created instability as we wait to discover if enough money has been raised; we won't hit the targets by the November deadline and this is proof that committee ownership does not and will not work.

On the pitch, we're a disaster. Journeymen pros, Championship reserve players, aging legs, no Faddy and a striker that has always had concrete boots.

Last night we had four right backs in the team, one shot on target, and thats against an untried keeper. A pacy right winger given 4 minutes. Law as our creative outlet. McManus posted missing for the goal. Where are the youth players coming through?

I look enviously across the clyde now. They have a clear business model; long term contracts for youth players - play them - sell them on - repeat. We missed a trick during the good times to create the same set up as Accies. We'll pay for it come end of May.

Something beautiful happened :)

So if I understand this right, the root cause of Motherwells poor performances this year lies with the strategic management at board level, failing to provide the resources to replace the assets they've lost - but the poor manager with a fairly remarkable recent track record should pay the price for his bosses failings? Wouldn't it be better simply to support McCall? Or is the problem that, good manager though he may be, he is unable to discover or attract the necessary replacements at a price Motherwell can afford?

I see where you are coming from, but it wasn't the board's decision to sign Josh Law (just because McCall knows the family well) or sign Dundee's 3rd choice goalkeeper and install him as the No.1.

McCall's "tactics" have pretty much always been to try and outscore the opposition. Fair enough when you have players such as Chris Humphrey, Nicky Law, Jamie Murphy, Michael Higdon and James McFadden. Not so ideal when you have a line-up such as last night when you start with 7 defenders and still ship a goal within 2 minutes.

His recruitment is coming back to bite him on the arse. Simply not good enough. It's effectively been if you've previous played under McCall or you've previously been at Motherwell, we'll sign you. The luck will run out eventually, which we're now seeing.

As for the manager, it'll be someone who no-one expects. We usually go away from the usual Scottish market and I believe that, with the exception of Craig Brown's short spell in charge, we haven't appointed a manager who's previously managed another Scottish team since Tommy McLean in the 80's? (McLeish, Harri Kampman, Billy Davies, Eric Black, Terry Butcher, Maurice Malpas, Mark McGhee, Jim Gannon, & McCall).

It's time for a change.

McCall's post match interview was ridiculous, the guy is absolutely delusional. Talking about seeing lots of positives in our performance tonight and his usual cliches about spirit, commitment etc.

Don't think he's going anywhere yet though.

Sounds like our manager, who , like yours, doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon.

Next four - St. Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Inverness, Celtic.

Surely he won't survive still December if we don't pick something up out of those.

I think it depends. If the likes of the Jags, St Mirren and St Johnstone are still dropping points all over and Ross County continue to be poor and are rooted to bottom of the table then I think McCall keeps his job.

But if some daylight is seen between 10th and Motherwell get stuck in 11th fighting the 12th spot with County then he could be toast before we enter into Christmas holiday period.

That's a tough month of football for Motherwell. Those are no easy fixtures based on their poor performances. It is possible they take zero points from those. However we've seen unpredictable results all over this season. A home win and some confidence can change the situation quickly.

My bet is that if McCall leaves or is shown the door a veteran is brought in to stabilize the ship. Not a young unproven man like Murray and even though Hartley has done well in his short managerial career I think he wouldn't take it if the team is threatened with relegation. Butcher is out as he took Hibs down in a flame of glory and its a risk to have him, and so that leaves limited options I think. Steve Lomas? George Burley maybe is a decent idea if he is sober!? Both have done well at club level and have plenty experience.

I'd stay well clear of the heed banger that is John Brown Esq. That would be a train wreck.

Derek Adams with his father taking up a role "behind the scenes".

This is a frightening possibility. However I am sure Leitch was appointed youth guy with the belief he would work his way up. I reckon Leitch is next

This is a frightening possibility. However I am sure Leitch was appointed youth guy with the belief he would work his way up. I reckon Leitch is next

This is a frightening possibility.

McCall won't be sacked but will go regardless at the end of the season with Leitch stepping up IMO. If there is a cheaper option we will go for that as you would assume our budget will be in tatters next season if we don't get to the Scottish cup final, and that aint happening.

FWIW I still think he can turn it around. We just need a bit of luck, a scrappy goal to get us going and I think we will pick up.

I think it depends. If the likes of the Jags, St Mirren and St Johnstone are still dropping points all over and Ross County continue to be poor and are rooted to bottom of the table then I think McCall keeps his job.

But if some daylight is seen between 10th and Motherwell get stuck in 11th fighting the 12th spot with County then he could be toast before we enter into Christmas holiday period.

We can't afford to wait until there is daylight there. If we do, we are doomed. This team is absolutely shite. This is not a bad spell we are going through, we've not been able to make 5 yard passes from the beginning of the season or even look like we even have a shape to the team, which is surely the most basic component of football.

McCall's record gives him a little bit of leeway but I'll be quite open about it. I'm a long standing critic of McCall and I've never really rated him that highly, despite the high league finishes. For me he was handed a very good squad that was performing well in a very poor league and the only tactical formation he every played for the vast majority of the time was a straight 4-4-2. Our performances were down to player performance, rather than clever management from McCall. Probably his best attribute has been man management but as I've said before it's easy to man manage when the team is winning and everyone is happy. Now that it's not working he doesn't have a clue what to do.

He's signed a few good players but I bet if you'd asked him if he thought Michael Higdon would score 27 goals and win player of the year he'd have laughed in your face. He's also signed a few rotten players as well (Jones, Daley, Josh Law, Hollis) and extended contracts so that our squad is full of junk. We have a very small squad yet there are about 12 first team players out of contract in the summer most of whom have absolutely no chance of getting another contract. Who's to say that hasn't contributed to the collapse in moral at the club?

Our youth system which has always been very good has absolutely died on its arse for the last 4 or 5 years and McCall obviously has no interest in developing youth players. His cup record is also absolutely atrocious.

I basically want this from any Motherwell manager

1 - A decent standard of play and a modern tactical set up

2 - Cup runs

3 - Good youth development

McCall hasn't delivered and he is running out of time fast.

The fact that Motherwell's attendances have been in sudden and shocking decline since McCall took over should spell it out to opposition fans and journalist who base their opinion on league positions that things have not been right at Motherwell for quite a while. There are other problems at Motherwell besides the management but I'd rather we sorted them out as a Premiership club that's not in administration rather than a Championship club that is.

We need at least 4 points in the next 4 games - to be sitting on 7 or 8 points after 15 matches is just completely and utterly unacceptable.

If the track record of the most successful manager in Motherwell's recent history isn't enough, the genuine "McCall out" brigade could always have a read through this thread, started eleven months ago, take a look at the current Premiership table, laugh loudly at KillieLBTR, Craigkillie etc., then look at themselves.

If the track record of the most successful manager in Motherwell's recent history isn't enough, the genuine "McCall out" brigade could always have a read through this thread, started eleven months ago, take a look at the current Premiership table, laugh loudly at KillieLBTR, Craigkillie etc., then look at themselves.

This time last season Kilmarnock had played 11, 8 pts, scored 12 and had a goal difference of -3.

Motherwell have played 11, 7 pts, scored 6 and have a goal difference of -13.

We are way, way worse than Kilmarnock were last season.

Nice to see the Killie Board accepting the sage advice offered by myself on that one. Nice to see them doing so well off the back of it.

Despite this I will put my hat into the ring and want McCall out. He has done little to bring through youth players and often left them out in favour of an experienced player out of position instead. Jack Leitch and Stuart Carswell have come through but Leitch should have played more games last season to get him ready for when Lasley's legs start to go.

The style of football is terrible and route one stuff right now. Considering McCall is an ex midfielder I am surprised that we seem to avoid midfield in build up play recently.

However the main part of my problem is the lack of bottle in the team and this was displayed last season. How many times do they take the lead at half time and McCall starts the second half sitting back allowing the team that has just had a bollocking form their gaffer to come at us? Too many points were lost as a result of this IMO.

You've missed the point made, but i'll let that go.

Could you answer me a couple of things, before St. Mirren, St. Johnstone & Kilmarnock fans get in there. How do you define success? What success has Stuart McCall achieved at Motherwell?

Agree 100% with Ya Bezzers post.

Last year we were extremely fortunate to finish 2nd in the league and we watched a fair amount of turgid uninspiring football but ground out results.

McCall is a tactical buffoon, whenever he has tried in the past to change our style/tactics/formations etc it has crashed spectacularly, generally in Europe.

The writing has been on the wall for a while but I am genuinely concerned with the future of my club, on and off the pitch.

In my opinion McCall has to go and soon.

You've missed the point made, but i'll let that go.

Could you answer me a couple of things, before St. Mirren, St. Johnstone & Kilmarnock fans get in there. How do you define success? What success has Stuart McCall achieved at Motherwell?

I don't know how you could define regular top half finishes at Fir Park as anything other than success, let alone European football! A question for all of you: how does a Well fan define "sackable offence"?

McCall would be my pick for Manager of the Decade-so-far. His repeated over-achievement at his club has been against all odds, and it's a credit that he delayed the inevitable slump for several years. The least he's earned is your patience through a few difficult months.

Archived