Johann Lamont quits

The Master

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically everyone on my Facebook who is a member of the Labour Party is supporting Findlay.

Personally before this week I think I had heard his name twice before. He's an even bigger nonentity than Lamont was, yet somehow already seems to be forming a decent support base.

Basically everyone on my Facebook who is a member of the Labour Party is supporting Findlay.

Personally before this week I think I had heard his name twice before. He's an even bigger nonentity than Lamont was, yet somehow already seems to be forming a decent support base.

Clear sign that the labour party are brimming with talented politicians and have clear direction IMO.

Probably because people agree with him on the need to move to the left of the SNP despite the fact he's a charisma vacuum. Unlike yourself, there's no doubt that most ordinary Scottish Labour members do want to go left. The problem of course is that regardless of policy, if your leader is a total non-entity you're going to struggle and more than likely become even more of an irrelevance.

If you go with Murphy and move to the right as the SNP move to the left with Sturgeon, you're fucked on policy

If you go with Findlay and move to the left, you increase your appeal on policy but have a non-entity of a leader who'll be fucked in debate by Sturgeon

If you go with Boyack it's a continuation of Alexander/Gray/Lamont, you remain a directionless shambles and get fucked on everything

Can someone explain a potential scenario that doesn't involve Labour being fucked? Unless Sturgeon turns out to be a Swinney-esque disaster area, things look bleak for them.

Nope, labour are pretty fucked in Scotland. A good number of no voters were vote Labour at all cost simpletons. They will continue to do so. I don't see them appealing to any other demographic tbh.

Probably because people agree with him on the need to move to the left of the SNP despite the fact he's a charisma vacuum. Unlike yourself, there's no doubt that most ordinary Scottish Labour members do want to go left. The problem of course is that regardless of policy, if your leader is a total non-entity you're going to struggle and more than likely become even more of an irrelevance.

If you go with Murphy and move to the right as the SNP move to the left with Sturgeon, you're fucked on policy

If you go with Findlay and move to the left, you increase your appeal on policy but have a non-entity of a leader who'll be fucked in debate by Sturgeon

If you go with Boyack it's a continuation of Alexander/Gray/Lamont, you remain a directionless shambles and get fucked on everything

Can someone explain a potential scenario that doesn't involve Labour being fucked? Unless Sturgeon turns out to be a Swinney-esque disaster area, things look bleak for them.

Labour squeak a workable majority in 2015 and spend the next 12 months making positive policy decisions at UK level and hope Sturgeon implodes leading to a Labour plurality in Edinburgh. The Lib Dems or Greens probably won't have enough MSPs to form a coalition and there would be no formal pact with the SNP or Tories. Murphy or whoever governs a minority govt effectively and everyone gets back to supporting Labour for the next election.

What is happening to the Scottish Election schedule? Holyrood is supposed to have 4 year term parliaments but postponed a year due to the fixed term Westminister parliament, are both still scheduled to have elections in 2020?

What is happening to the Scottish Election schedule? Holyrood is supposed to have 4 year term parliaments but postponed a year due to the fixed term Westminister parliament, are both still scheduled to have elections in 2020?

I'm confused about this too. The next Holyrood election was postponed until 2016 because the Westminster election was due in 2015 as far as I understand it. But that would cause a clash again in 2020 (Scottish in 2021?) and 2025. Does the fixed term election in Westminster push Scottish parliamentary elections back to being every five years from now on by default?

In Scotland the only one I can see is the one where the SNP/Greens are unable to keep all their new members happy and end up splitting into a million smaller groups in something of a People's Front Of Judea style. Don't think it'll be happening any time soon though.

In England they may just about scrape along if the Tories and UKIP cut each other's throats.

I'm not so sure with Murphy. I think there are a lot more conservatives (small 'c') in Scotland than people think, but they don't vote for the Tories because they're a toxic brand. Salmond was able to appeal to these people over nonentities like Iain Gray but Murphy vs. Sturgeon might be less straightforward. I think Sturgeon could help the SNP gain more ground in Glasgow and the west but they could lose ground in middle Scotland, Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. if Murphy's in charge. I'd still fancy the SNP to win the election but I'd be surprised if they kept their majority.

I'm not so sure with Murphy. I think there are a lot more conservatives (small 'c') in Scotland than people think, but they don't vote for the Tories because they're a toxic brand. Salmond was able to appeal to these people over nonentities like Iain Gray but Murphy vs. Sturgeon might be less straightforward. I think Sturgeon could help the SNP gain more ground in Glasgow and the west but they could lose ground in middle Scotland, Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. if Murphy's in charge. I'd still fancy the SNP to win the election but I'd be surprised if they kept their majority.

Most of the SNP Westminster seats are old Tory shire seats. None of these areas voted for independence and most of them rejected it pretty big style too.

The Tories were certainly toxic prior to the referendum but its not so much the case now. Davidson had a decent referendum and made a contribution. The Tories have risen a bit in the polls and they generally do better in the actual vote than they do from opinion polling. It was quite funny seeing them actually in a marginal lead over Labour in a recent poll or two after the referendum. It wont last, but Labour are probably getting the "toxic" treatment more these days and the centre ground is right there for the taking if Sturgeon decides to go for the urban Labour vote. Middle Scotland will turn away if she decides to punish success.

Most of the SNP Westminster seats are old Tory shire seats. None of these areas voted for independence and most of them rejected it pretty big style too.

The Tories were certainly toxic prior to the referendum but its not so much the case now. Davidson had a decent referendum and made a contribution. The Tories have risen a bit in the polls and they generally do better in the actual vote than they do from opinion polling. It was quite funny seeing them actually in a marginal lead over Labour in a recent poll or two after the referendum. It wont last, but Labour are probably getting the "toxic" treatment more these days and the centre ground is right there for the taking if Sturgeon decides to go for the urban Labour vote. Middle Scotland will turn away if she decides to punish success.

define 'punishing success'

If Murphy DOES take this job as leader. I'd expect him to be a far more formidable opponent than anything the SNP have faced from Labour at Holyrood in its entire existence. He may well be a c**t, duck, p***k fanny or whatever, but he is a bit of an attack dog.

Archived