Clyde FC -- Debt Free

Our biggest obstacle, outwith the club itself, is what we have been prepared to pay whilst top dogs at Broadwood. No businessman in their right mind would just accept something is better than nothing for what it would cost and potentially jeopardise what must be a small if steady income from the mutts. Our status now is probably about less than we had at either Firhill or Douglas Park....we don't even have the run of the stand on matchday for Christ's sake, at least Johnny Clark got to work out of the ladies' bogs when we were at home. All this has made any potential move a hundred times harder to negotiate, as quite rightly, if we expect a better quality of landlord we'll bloody well have to pay through the nose for it now.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This brings me to my point,could Clyde not offer to rent the stadium out which would bring the owner some cash and clyde back too their spiritual home?

I know the stadium would need readjusted of some sort ,but I'm sure it can be done some way or another.

Or is that to simplistic?

There's a lot of history there for a start between the two parties which doesn't help ! Re-adjusted doesnt begin to describe the overall state of the place. The main stand is usable, though even bits of that up the back have been divided off...maybe the damp's that bad if you leaned on it you'd end up on top o a car outside!!!

If they'd money for a stand they could build it along where the terracing is, but I don't know. I think it's one of those places that would likely need bulldozed and redeveloped, which is what the consortium were looking to do

He's an old man though & the various councils and organizations redeveloping the surrounding area have that card marked for later

Our biggest obstacle, outwith the club itself, is what we have been prepared to pay whilst top dogs at Broadwood. No businessman in their right mind would just accept something is better than nothing for what it would cost and potentially jeopardise what must be a small if steady income from the mutts. Our status now is probably about less than we had at either Firhill or Douglas Park....we don't even have the run of the stand on matchday for Christ's sake, at least Johnny Clark got to work out of the ladies' bogs when we were at home. All this has made any potential move a hundred times harder to negotiate, as quite rightly, if we expect a better quality of landlord we'll bloody well have to pay through the nose for it now.

If you're meaning Shawfield, I would doubt King would see it as a problem. There's no extra costs to him. He's just sittin there waiting for all the redevelopment to take place around him and in turn increase the value of his land. He's a gambler by trade and that's what he's banking on with the stadium...if he's alive long enough for it to work

But the stadium itself is such a mess, it's not ready just to walk into. So any improvements would have to be funded by the club, and then pay rent. King would be laughin

There's a lot of history there for a start between the two parties which doesn't help ! Re-adjusted doesnt begin to describe the overall state of the place. The main stand is usable, though even bits of that up the back have been divided off...maybe the damp's that bad if you leaned on it you'd end up on top o a car outside!!!

If they'd money for a stand they could build it along where the terracing is, but I don't know. I think it's one of those places that would likely need bulldozed and redeveloped, which is what the consortium were looking to do

He's an old man though & the various councils and organizations redeveloping the surrounding area have that card marked for later

OK BC cheers for the replys. Every days a school day.

All the best to Clyde fc in the coming future,whatever it may bring yous.

Actually, you're quite correct on that specific point

Which makes matters even worse in terms of their reasoning

Yep, basically it was a way out of a hole, created entirely through their own accord.(most probably also to cash in themselves). Dodgy practices by owners is far from a new thing , it wasn't even a new thing then.

Tigers folding in read in ET other night. Good riddance and hopefully every William King bookmaker gets raided by men in balas fae now and every night onwards & weve got a full house.....

Bit harsh on the tigers, can't blame them for accepting what was a great opportunity to bring the sport back to their home city. It was the will of a dedicated small number of fans that got them into Shawfield and made sure they survived. It's not too different to our predicament just now, any viable options that secure our future will be snapped up!

Yep, basically it was a way out of a hole, created entirely through their own accord.(most probably also to cash in themselves). Dodgy practices by owners is far from a new thing , it wasn't even a new thing then.

Precisely. There was an accepted understanding for years it was done out of necessity. Clearly that wasnt the case. £s were in their eyes & they slept well at night on the basis that at least they'll have made things better for a few years

Greed allied to short termism that cost the club long term.

Bit harsh on the tigers, can't blame them for accepting what was a great opportunity to bring the sport back to their home city. It was the will of a dedicated small number of fans that got them into Shawfield and made sure they survived. It's not too different to our predicament just now, any viable options that secure our future will be snapped up!

Tend to agree. The situation was coerced by 2 or 3 individuals who clearly had no idea what they were doing, thought they could make a more lucrative situation out of something with no track record of doing so, and didnt have enough nouse to realise they couldnt build housing on a protected site. The Tigers' length of stay was predictable as was the current state of the stadium.

There are some parallels today

Clyde_Start_Looking_For_A_New_Home.th.jp Shawfield_Betrayal.th.jpg Full-Time_Whistle.th.jpg Clydes_new_home_-_its_Roseberry.th.jpg Moving_out.th.jpg The_Club_That_Glasgow_Left_Stranded.th.j

Some headlines from the past with a Chick Young exclusive in there too.

Click any images again if they seem truncated. Keep clicking to zoom in.

Mind it well RWB, had one of them. Brings a tear tae a glass eye.

There's still a video on Youtube somewhere of the Reporting Scotland piece about it where they said they were hoping to sell for housing!

I remember STV covered the final game - Jim White got an absolute poundin that night :lol: - and they broadcast it on Scotland Today the following night. I used to have it on tape but got chewed up long ago. White introduced it "And Clyde even won" cheeky bar steward

Well researched RWB. Quite interesting reading how central figures like Brown and McBeth were happy to leave, albeit for differing yet equally important reasons. Not unlike the current unrest, but at least a desire to fight for the future of the club. Its been a month since 'DebtFreeDay'.......yet nothing from the club.

Well researched RWB. Quite interesting reading how central figures like Brown and McBeth were happy to leave, albeit for differing yet equally important reasons. Not unlike the current unrest, but at least a desire to fight for the future of the club. Its been a month since 'DebtFreeDay'.......yet nothing from the club.

From what I remember at the time SA, it was more like they were puttin a brave face on it as they'd little option. There was a lot of different things going on at that time, and none of those involved have ultimately benefited from it.

Of course they wouldn't have chosen to leave, for the reasons you've already stated, but the fact that there was no shortage of potential options publicly discussed, gives the game away that the current bunch are getting away with leading the ownership up shit creek in a barb-wired canoe. If there are no options, as appears the case, then they should get off the pot and tell the truth. If a better deal at Broadwood is attainable, but the wreckless actions of one man and his disciples are preventing the club fighting for that sole possibility, then those sitting by allowing it are just as guilty.

Archived