Clyde FC -- Debt Free

I assume other locations would need to have some sort of link up similar to the EK proposal. We certainly can't afford to build something on our own.

Perhaps NLL would be interested in extending our stay given the debt is gone and by all means we have kept our promises for a wee while now. And as said above, we are not exactly that demanding of their facilities, certainly not for the price the club is being charged for the rent.

Are East Stirlingshire not building their place around Springkerse? Is that tied in with a community project ala EK?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would ask for clarity if i were all of you. As I understood it 2 weeks ago, this is delayed due to funding and in particular grants not currently available.

The name change will be required for any move to happen. I was told that the desire was still a full linking of the Ek clubs , with EK Clyde at top, EKFC becoming the youth wing and EK Thistle used as a feeder.

I hope that is off the table, but I will be meeting with someone connected with it next week and will find out for sure.

Would be good news if Clyde stayed Clyde and went back to their homelands, its been built up and it would be the right place for them.

The Glens is a non starter, one of their Pinkerton nutjobs from the Junior forum was all over the suggestion of Clyde moving there, and simply put, the ground wasnt built there for a senior club. Rutherglen doesnt want one, certainly one theyd have to pay for anyway, and doesnt deserve one either....EK was all the eggs in the one basket, and if any serious inroads were looked into properly when the plans went south, the statement may have read a conclusive list of two or three options. If a temporary ongoing arrangement is what might suit us then Lesser would imo be a better shout than Firhill or Airdrie. Or even Crownpoint???

I would ask for clarity if i were all of you. As I understood it 2 weeks ago, this is delayed due to funding and in particular grants not currently available.

The name change will be required for any move to happen. I was told that the desire was still a full linking of the Ek clubs , with EK Clyde at top, EKFC becoming the youth wing and EK Thistle used as a feeder.

I hope that is off the table, but I will be meeting with someone connected with it next week and will find out for sure.

Would be good news if Clyde stayed Clyde and went back to their homelands, its been built up and it would be the right place for them.

There's 1.8 million reasons EKCT have a problem with this as outlined in the planning application made public in May last year. Add to that the £20m + cuts SLC have to make this year

SSB, earlier post, understand what you're saying. What's being looked at in terms of Broadwood would address those. But it is just one option as the statement says

The statement says the name change has been put aside due to situation at Langlands. That's promising. It will now be a question of whether they put something more "permanent" in place in time to satisfy SFA requirements, or whether something clearly temporary in the hopes Langlands (or something else) will be an option a few years further down the line. Hopefully the latter isn't the case

Wait & see time

As above, the statement is non committal.

I for one wont be back until the name change is completely off the table. The statement would allow them to continue with their plans at anytime.

A simple there will be no name change, without new approval from the members, will see me and others return.

As above, the statement is non committal.

I for one wont be back until the name change is completely off the table. The statement would allow them to continue with their plans at anytime.

A simple there will be no name change, without new approval from the members, will see me and others return.

Agreed - we need it permanently off the table, not still sitting there should EK come up with a solution

Having said that, this is another positive sign, following the good news about the debt, and hopefully a sign the Board are paying attention to the fans.

A significant number of questions and points arise from this.

1. The idea that we are not in a perilous financial situation is imho incorrect. Our income is small and declining, and every season in Division 3 leads to more deciding not to bother, it's another dent to our reputation and frankly no one sees any quick return to Division 1 now. On that basis any upturn in attendees must be limited and probabaly short-lived.

2. Much as I have no love for Broadwood, it is surely better than changing home again. Another move would be the 4th in 28 years. Hardly conducive to building a strong club nor a loyal support base. The question then is can anything be salvaged from the NLL & Colts relationships that would allow sufficient financial resource to return to the Championship? If it cannot then are our support content with a future in Div 2&3 OR do they prefer a move?

3. If a move is preferred, what happens if it comes with strings e.g. name change or ownership change?

4. Where are these alternatives to E.K.? For me anything outside Glasgow and a semi circle from EK to Cumbernaul is not acceptable. So for example Scotstoun for me would be a killer.

5. I have heard people put forward Airdrie & PT as possible solutions. Really? Another groundshare with no income generation potential. Guaranteed Div 3 permanance in my view.

Clarity is required and quickly. 28 years out of Shawfield and we are still scrabbling around looking for a long term, permamanent revenue generating home with a stable community programme.

Agreed - we need it permanently off the table, not still sitting there should EK come up with a solution

Having said that, this is another positive sign, following the good news about the debt, and hopefully a sign the Board are paying attention to the fans.

I think it is off the table. The statement says:

"In the circumstances, a natural consequence is that the board will set aside the authority given by the club's owners to amend the name of the club."

It's great news that the historic debt has been cleared and hopefully this is the start of more good news after many years of bad news.

It shows with the EK move and what other people are saying that we are damned if we do and damned if we don't. I feel that staying at Broadwood might be difficult due to the fact that we don't earn a penny at the place and it seems like every season we lose something else at the stadium and it doesn't feel like our ground anymore.

The EK move also seems to be troubled so this now leads us to what do we do next.

I do not envy the board in their next decisions that will be made.

The statement, while good news, is pretty vague. 'In the circumstances, a natural consequence is that the board will set aside the authority given by the club's owners to amend the name of the club. The authority was specifically granted on a successfully negotiated arrangement on a relocation to the Langlands site and any alternative proposal will be presented to owners separately.' It's saying they 'will' set aside the authority, as oposed to saying that they 'have.' On the face of it, it looks like they're saying there'll need to be another resolution and vote before any name change and that the Langlands option is over, but it could also be read as saying that the name change will stand if there turns out to be 'a successfully negotiated arrangement on a relocation to the Langlands site.' So 'the circumstances' in which they'll lay aside the authority is if Langlands indeed doesn't work out, as they now expect it to.

So it's a welcome statement in that the name change and EK option seems really unlikely and is no longer the priority, but I think the statement is vague enough to leave the door open for a name change in the unlikely event the Langlands project works out.

It should be simple, no name change (including to EK Clyde) without a new vote. That is all they need to make clear.

They do that and I and others will be back, will even buy my season ticket for the full season despite the season being a quarter done.

A significant number of questions and points arise from this.

1. The idea that we are not in a perilous financial situation is imho incorrect. Our income is small and declining, and every season in Division 3 leads to more deciding not to bother, it's another dent to our reputation and frankly no one sees any quick return to Division 1 now. On that basis any upturn in attendees must be limited and probabaly short-lived.

2. Much as I have no love for Broadwood, it is surely better than changing home again. Another move would be the 4th in 28 years. Hardly conducive to building a strong club nor a loyal support base. The question then is can anything be salvaged from the NLL & Colts relationships that would allow sufficient financial resource to return to the Championship? If it cannot then are our support content with a future in Div 2&3 OR do they prefer a move?

3. If a move is preferred, what happens if it comes with strings e.g. name change or ownership change?

4. Where are these alternatives to E.K.? For me anything outside Glasgow and a semi circle from EK to Cumbernaul is not acceptable. So for example Scotstoun for me would be a killer.

5. I have heard people put forward Airdrie & PT as possible solutions. Really? Another groundshare with no income generation potential. Guaranteed Div 3 permanance in my view.

Clarity is required and quickly. 28 years out of Shawfield and we are still scrabbling around looking for a long term, permamanent revenue generating home with a stable community programme.

Perhaps our own history can help with some of your points

1 - Part with you on this. There's not many teams in rude health. It's the difference between the current standard with no longer term plan, and understanding where we are but a feasible strategy that fans can buy into and help the club. This is only Scottish football. The first 4 years at Broadwood were wasted and represented a steady decline where we just missed out on relegation. A change of strategy changed that around relatively quickly (pre throwing money at SPL ambitions). Im not saying it has to be like for like, but the standard in Scotland makes it "easier"

2 & 3 are part linked. Would agree & think it is at least a little likelier now that NLL have a stadium with much wider use in line with their M.O. dealing with a club who have paid their debts and are paying what's due on time. If Clyde were to leave, only part of that stadium would be of any real "use" to NLL. Point 3, If strings are attached, the past 18 months has shown what will happen.

4 The current new town is probably still the best option. If any club can show they've learned their lessons it's Clyde. New generations of potential support are born every year. The mistake the club made in 94 having been invited there by the old CDA was thinking the town owed them something. They forgot it was 1994, not 1894. Football's a hard sell everywhere, but the key factors for development have nothing to do with a name, and everything to do with hands on involvement.

5 Sharing at Firhill nearly killed them. Aside from it being Thistle's, when we went there there was no other plan on the horizon. When we went to Douglas Park, we knew we were going to Broadwood. If a groundshare is being considered, it will depend if that's allied to a positive future plan all the fans can buy into

They're working to a deadline. Let's see what they come up with

Archived