New P.C.

Just out of curiosity, what are the specs of your current PC? The make and model would do, if it's a name brand.

It's amazing how many people decide to buy a new PC because it's "slowing down". when all they need is some extra RAM, or a bigger hard drive.

Edit: sorry, just noticed that this isn't a replacement. As far as price goes, I spent £500 in April on a machine that's spanking the arse of everything that I've asked it to do, and I play a lot of games (when I can). That didn't include my nice 24" 1080p monitor, which is like night and day compared to my old 1280x1024 screen. Can wholeheartedly recommend that as an upgrade :thumsup2

I have a mate who has bought about 5 PC's due to his old ones 'slowing down'.

I've explained to him that PC's don't get slower over time other than having some overheating problems if they get full of dust and that the reason his machine is 'slowing down' is because he has a shitload of unwanted crap running in the background.

All he needs to do is spend some time re-installing his operating system and starting again but instead he keeps chooing to spend hundreds on a new system.

For folk saying don't buy in PC World, where is a better option? I'm wanting a desktop to do some pretty basic stuff (office work from home, FM, play/download music/podcasts) and wouldn't want to spend a bomb without needing to. Anywhere include MS office as part of a deal?

Flippantly, anywhere! Seriously, local shops and/or the internet.

To be fair, theres nothing specifically wrong with buying from PC World, as long as you're not bothered about a) paying over the odds for something or b ) you can get a good deal or something in the sale.

What everyone should avoid is going into PC World and asking for any kind of advice from the staff. You'll get far better information on the internet, contacting local shops or even by email from online retailers like e-buyer.

In my younger, more naive days, I once asked for advice from a member of staff in PC World. I cant remember what it was but I remember what they did. They listened to my question, looked a bit confused, read the little product note on the shelf (yeah, cause I hadnt thought of that), looked even more confused and then said "errr, Im not sure. I'll go find out". They didnt

Ive also heard them spout so much shite to a woman looking to buy something for her kid that, when the assistant went away, I had to tell her that what she'd just been told was nonsense.

Archived