Albion Rovers v Berwick Rangers Sat 24/10/14

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly wouldn't put Fairbairn in the 'disinterested fanny' camp either, granted I wasn't there on Saturday. He made some mistakes earlier in the season but definitely don't think it was due to disinterest. From what I've seen of the development squad, he's really knuckled down and is helping a lot of the new players along showing leadership.

Fair point. i like him as a player and think he's got real ability. i also hear good things about his support for the development squad.

Your heading to the right place if you need a victory our season just as bad as yours, very similar in that some games it looks good other games players don't look like they give a monkeys. Fans are slowly running out of patience. For the players both teams have they are badly under achieving. Our home form is horrendous and if we come up against 2 tall strong central defenders our strikers look lost.

It's somewhat ironic that a club in the middle of an identity crisis (1881 or 1884 - not that 2014 matters) can look so good and yet be so bad. We perform in a manner which is only consistent in that it is always baffling.

There are some very good posts on this thread - a lot of harsh reality. People talk about the same problems haunting us again and again. I don't think anyone can disagree that the same issues have plagued us for the last 4-5 seasons, certainly, and probably ever since relegation.

But have the steps ever really been taken to rectify them? I agree with those who state that the board are showing ambition. The appointment of Colin Cameron was one I was fucking delighted with. The alleged budget increase is something I'm impressed with. I personally still support Cameron, but has he done much to rectify the same issues that have plagued us?

Lets look at leadership. Has he addressed that? He got away with it last season, the honeymoon effect and all that, in addition to the fact at he's a big leader himself. But the guy is forty-two years old. He can't play week in, week out. What are we left with? Well he's competing with the likes of Steven Notman - a tireless midfielder who has an attitude who can't be faulted. For the team, Notman is the better choice. Then you have a player alleged to be on big money (understandably so after last season). He's played so deep he's been completely fucking wasted. I don't agree with Razor Bill's observation that we've been playing with a defensive midfielder, because in my opinion, I think we've actually been playing with two, and that is poor for a side who wants to go out and dominate teams. Notman has a fantastic attitude while Currie was our captain last season. They were both around when the problem existed though. They should be the players you build your team around and add more too. Did he add that leadership?

Has he addressed our problems going forward? Lavery and Dalziel hit 30 goals between them last season, but it was very well acknowledged that we struggled to take the chances we created. What we needed was a big arsehole who could wind up opponents and would put himself about for the benefit of the rest of the team up top. Dalziel was perhaps lucky to win a new deal, but him re-signing didn't mean problem solved. Instead, we wait until we're weeks into the season, and then sign a striker who Cameron clearly doesn't think is fit enough to be starting. I actually rate Dargo, but is he the player we needed? Maybe. He's selfless, has good movement and has set up quite a few already. But he's barely even played. Dargo is someone you can afford to have a partner with. 4-4-2 is probably outdated these days, but Dargo will drop deep and open up gaps for Lavery. I agree Lavery needs to be central. But how do you expect to solve the problem when the proposed solution isn't involved?

Next? Our midfield has lacked a natural width for all of the last seven seasons. Ross Gray's return solves that problem on one wing, but also creates a new one. We're now totally over-reliant on the poor fucker. Every single out-ball is directed his way. As a result, we're now highly predictable for the opposition. We're making it easy for them. And on the left? We've reverted to the now age-old pish - playing a centre mid (Gold or Willis) out wide, then wondering why we have nothing there. That is infuriating. I was chuffed to see Horribine start on Saturday, but it seems he didn't make much of an impact which is a shame.

Back to the defence, I am still absolutely bewildered at the fact we didn't (and still haven't) got a back-up left back. It seems fairly clear to me Cameron doesn't rate Jacobs that much. When he finally gets games, he gets them on the wrong side. I personally don't think Jacobs is half as good as some make out (although I can't fault his attitude & determination), but for the past month we needed him back in a defence that is too easily bullied under periods of sustained pressure. If there's one thing he's good for, it's sticking up for himself.

I do think there is an entirely valid point on the over-protection of the defence. I don't think we shouldn't be giving them any, but at the minute, it's way too much. We go out in every game and dominate for the first 70 mins. Our lack of width, lack of finisher, lack of penetration, whatever, results in a lack of goals - we're usually good for one. But then we spend the final 20 with our out-ball (Gray or Lavery generally) on the bench, and instead invite pressure by bringing on a(nother) defensive midfielder. We invite pressure in any game we play, and yet we're surprised when we conceed late on because we're uncomfortable handling it. It's absolutely basic. Try bringing someone on to help relieve the pressure, because its very clear to me that inviting it isn't something we're comfortable with.

Back to the centre of midfield. If you look at it, we had Paul Currie, Lee Currie, Steven Notman & Colin Cameron (and Ben Miller). I like Gold and have seen flashes of Willis that have impressed me (although judging by the opinion of others on him, I may be wrong), but in a team crying out for width and strength, were the signatures of two central midfielders to add to the five we already had what we needed first and foremost? Not a left back? Not a striker? Or the centre half we signed weeks into the season?

I don't buy that the players aren't trying hard enough. We're in a rut, but we lack leadership on the park. The last home game were the quietest I've seen Cameron and Horn, and that was quite surprising as they're usually animated. But in a way, I don't blame them. If I was them, I'd see it as a test of character for the players. See if they can do it themselves. Clearly, they can't. If they have lost faith in the management, it confirms my suspicions that some of them might be thick as f**k, because they need to be working together.

Where is the togetherness? I've barely seen any of that. No one wants to take on the responsibility. I actually think the players are quite a good bunch of guys - whenever I've spoke to any of them they've been sound, and off the top of my head I don't think I've seen anyone look 'disinterested' - though others may beg to differ. But it just seems as though it isn't in any of their natures to be leaders. As has been said, technically, this team is better than the championship side, that is something I genuinely believe. But at the minute, we're a squad of players, not a team. That is poor for a side over a quarter of the way into the season & even more astonishingly, that the bulk of were together last season.

Think Albion need a trip to B & Q with their new found cash reserves. A roller, a decent lawnmower and strimmer for the thirty year old weeds at the back might suffice. Still a dump.

original. Those weeds are a protected wildlife environment as it happens. As rare as a Berwick victory.

Funny how watching the highlights changes you mind on a couple of things. "live" i felt Darren Young's goal was a tame hit fumbled by the Keeper but in the highlights its a lovely swerved shot that makes it hard for the keeper with a lovely backhealed set-up from The Beast.

Seccond goal also a bit better than it looked with John putting in some nice touches.

Poor game though one of those you need to stick the three points in the back pocket and forget about. To the points about Phillips and McGuigan. I think Love and McNeil will think themselfs unlucky not to be in the team ahead of those. Espeically Phillips if i recall correct he was droped last week ? but back in the team this week. Maybe tonights game in Elgin will give a few a chance to steak a claim.

Epic post from BTU.

Boils down to some very average decisions by CC. But I feel that the last 3 games and the heart to heart on a dead bus mean we are at a turning point.

Hopefully an out of touch East Fife are just the sort of team we need to play on Saturday.

And who's going to communicate this news pre-match anyway? You rarely hear about injuries pre-match in the Premier League, never mind at a part time club. Managers usually confirm why players didn't play in the post game interview. If nobody asked him, what can we do.

Btw, our social media is run by fans. Any official info they have from the club will be communicated. Communication is far from perfect, but it's getting better IMO.

post-49846-141461669617_thumb.jpg

An example here of fans being told a day in advance. I'm aware communication is getting better but it would take very little to organise team news like this.

Edited to add:

Also, fans such as RB appear on here and tell us this sort of information, so surely whoever told them from within the club could easily tell the social media team. Its not rocket science.

To be fair, Aberdeen are a full time team, will train every day, meet the media pre-match and probably employ a full time media officer. Not saying things can't get better, but we have to be realistic.

And as for people knowing certain things, not everything people hear needs to come from an official source. I hear little bits and pieces from players, like who's at training, who's carrying a knock and stuff, but not everything is going to be revealed in a press release. Nobody at the club is full time, so there's always going to be delays in news and stuff when most things need official confirmation before being tweeted or whatever.

And who's going to communicate this news pre-match anyway? You rarely hear about injuries pre-match in the Premier League, never mind at a part time club. Managers usually confirm why players didn't play in the post game interview. If nobody asked him, what can we do.

Btw, our social media is run by fans. Any official info they have from the club will be communicated. Communication is far from perfect, but it's getting better IMO.

I can't remember about not knowing about an Arbroath player being injured before a game unless it happened on the day. Who is going to communicate it to fans? Emm the papers maybe?

True, if it had been known in the days beforehand. If it was on the day you're unlikely to hear until after the match. Can't speak on behalf of the papers. They care more about speedway down here.

True, if it had been known in the days beforehand. If it was on the day you're unlikely to hear until after the match. Can't speak on behalf of the papers. They care more about speedway down here.

Seems pretty poor for yous which doesn't seem very fair when you support a smaller club that isn't back page news every day the clubs need to make more of an effort, we have a very good Facebook page and twitter page with regular informative updates. I also receive chain emails at work from the club secretary informing me of everything that happens at the club even including news about development games and players going out on loan. Our website however is pretty pish as they seem to be focussing on the Facebook page more. Which is good as it gets a lot of the younger folk involved in competitions etc. But the website still needs a drastic overhaul.

We don't get much coverage when we're doing well, but when we're doing badly we get even less! The local paper, 88 pages long and this is the back page, with no disrespect I'm sure she's good at hockey and football, however the biggest sporting team in the area, berwick Rangers, get a mere 1 page in the inside back page containing a match report and the gaffer's reaction, and even then we don't even get the full page. Now take into account this paper is only published once a week.. post-43752-14147032580207_thumb.jpg

Archived