Albion Rovers v Berwick Rangers Sat 24/10/14

Be harsh to ruin her career so soon.

To be fair, I don't think we help ourselves when it comes to media coverage. We kind of just expect it and don't do any media relations. I understand resources are limited for part-time clubs, but small things can go a long way in media management, it seems journalists are sensitive soles. The board may find 'nice touches' going a long way whenever we get into a situation like we are at current. If the 'Tiser decided to sensationalise the run of poor form (and I wouldn't put it past them based on a few past stories), the board would maybe regret not having that closer relationship with them.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's all very well from the point of view of the chairman, director, or a manager, but as a fan id rather see the local press at least be little bit critical and pass comment, as opposed to just telling us what has happened. There's barely any point in reading their match reports and I just skim to quotes. Been the same since Razor Bill stopped doing his excellent match reports for them.

If the club get upset at comment and opinion in the local press, then tough really. It would be better than the shit nothing coverage at the moment.

I see what you're saying but what applies more to prospective fans? A place where all seems rosy or crisis central? That is a big reason as to why the relations are important. There's nothing to say it has to get rid of opinion, but what's wrong with highlighting the positives? Half the town still thinks no local player had played for us in years for example.

Normal fans may be able to see through it but is it worth it for the opportunity to reach new publics promoting positive messages about your club? When you've got stuff like the app and here for your more serious fan, I think so.

In general terms, it's unrealistic to expect the manager / club to be public with everything that we, as fans, might want to know. For example, I would imagine that most teams will set up in a way to combat big dangerous strikers like Rovers' John Gemmell. If I were the Rovers manager and knew that he couldn't play, I wouldn't be telling anyone about it, which might force the opposition into some last-minute personnel or tactical changes. Also, if the big man had an injury that might keep him out for a few weeks, I wouldn't really want that known either, for the same reason. As a fan, of course I would want to know why he wasn't playing, but I'm not going to go into a strop about it if I'm not told. You have to rely on the judgement of your manager.

Having a poor PR department is one thing, but at QP a couple of years ago, in response to demands from members and fans, we decided to make a particular effort to keep people informed about goings-on at the Club. At one meeting, everyone was asked to keep a particular bit of information confidential until the official announcement. Not surprisingly, someone at the meeting had it on Twitter or whatever as soon as the meeting was over. I can therefore understand why some clubs aren't as forthcoming with information as they might be.

That last point is a good one. I'm on the Newcastle fans forum and was there last week. Now I'm no fan of Ashley or his brown nosers running the club, but they were talking about the media and one fan there was moaning on that the club hadn't revealed that Jonas had cancer sooner. Saying stuff like "We'd all have understood" and other bollocks. Even when the club were saying Jonas wanted to reveal it in his own way and in his own time and that hardly any of the players even knew, this idiotic fan still kept moaning on about it and how the fans deserved to know because there was other kinds of speculation in the papers.

Bit off topic, and I know fans are always going to be desperate for information, but it's not always as easy as some think it should be. I still remember when Berwick announced a signing, Motion I think it was, then he hadn't even signed and went to Stenny. Ha.

Archived