It's all kicking off in Canada

51 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

My best mate lives in the beaches and he loves it, although he eventually wants to move more rural nearer his wife’s family who live just outside Barrie. He rents a one bedroom apartment for about $2000 a month, and the apartment is worth something like $750k. Last time I was over we went a walk with his dug, and he was pointing out the houses for sale in his street, most of which were in the $2 million + price bracket.

At the beginning of the year, he suggested working from home 2 or 3 days a week to his bosses who were reluctant. Once lockdown kicked in, him and his wife fucked off to the in-laws in the country where he continued to work from home, coming into the city 1 day a week. He’s basically told them it’s perfectly doable and thinks they’re coming round to the idea. Also, he was saying that for less than a 1 bed apartment in the beaches, he could buy a 4 bedroom house with loads of land just outside Barrie.

The Beaches is a great area of the city but $2000 for a one bedroom shows how mental the housing market is here. we pay much less for a two bedroom in Etobicoke but the building has got steady worse since it was taken over by a new property company a few years back. I'm hoping for the same thing as your mate in that my company realise my job can easily be done from home, would open a lot more options for places to live. As it stands we've be told we won't back in the office till 2021 probably. 

The area South of Barrie, Innisfil around Lake Simcoe is magic, my wife grew up in the area and her mother lives there. It's another place on the list for me but their GO Train connections seem a bit shite. 

25 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Oshawa is pretty fucking sketchy.  I had friends who lived out there for a bit and have not heard rave reviews, the Hamilton of east GTA  

By all accounts Hamilton seems to be on the up a little bit and is becoming a little nicer to live in. Whereas Oshawa just seems like a meth filled shithole full of white trash. I used to live in Parkdale and that was sketchy enough for me, once you've had one shooting outside your house that's plenty

I've only been in the West of Canada in Albert's, Calgery was a good night out and a cool place, Banff is genuinely the most beautiful place I've been in the world, stumbling out of the Dancing Sasquatch at silly o clock in the morning to this view was incredible. 

banff.jpg.6bfed9a76627b21002e301a3d83cde02.jpg

I've only been in the West of Canada in Albert's, Calgery was a good night out and a cool place, Banff is genuinely the most beautiful place I've been in the world, stumbling out of the Dancing Sasquatch at silly o clock in the morning to this view was incredible. 
Jasper is quite nice too.

36 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

I tried to scrap a bouncer outside DS when I was 18 and got arrested. Happier times really.

28 minutes ago, Torpar said:

By all accounts Hamilton seems to be on the up a little bit and is becoming a little nicer to live in. Whereas Oshawa just seems like a meth filled shithole full of white trash. I used to live in Parkdale and that was sketchy enough for me, once you've had one shooting outside your house that's plenty

Yah my friend was working at a bar in Oshawa and someone date rape drugged her drink....

22 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

"He is described as a white man in his 50s with medium build. He had a bald head and a reddish-brown beard."

#ginger'smustardmatters

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I lived in Calgary for two years, great spot. Banff is even better. Sitting on an inflatable cruising down the river with a bag of cans, the life ha.  Stampede too, a must see 

Edited by Bohemian

2 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I tried to scrap a bouncer outside DS when I was 18 and got arrested. Happier times really.

Inside the DS some Australian girl full on spartan kicked me in the back, a case of mistaken identity apparently. 

3 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
3 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Jasper is quite nice too.

I know a few people who went further north to Jasper and spoke really highly about it. 

50 minutes ago, Bohemian said:

I lived in Calgary for two years, great spot. Banff is even better. Sitting on an inflatable cruising down the river with a bag of cans, the life ha.  Stampede too, a must see 

Sadly my trip didn't coincide with the Stampede, heard it's s fantastic. 

Never did make it to Jasper. I think the hotel I worked at in Banff offered trips there with an overnight stay, I should have gone tbh.

I loved the canoe trips you could go on and the hiking was class, climbing Mt. Cascade was just unreal. Would love to go to Canada again.

13 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Never realised how much I wanted a baconator until I read this. 

Big Doug Ford considering regional reopening of Ontario, opening the areas with fewer or less cases before the hotspots of the GTA and Hamilton. So you can enjoy a patio beer before me and all the morons that had to hang out in Trinity Bellwoods Park

23 hours ago, Torpar said:

Never realised how much I wanted a baconator until I read this. 

Big Doug Ford considering regional reopening of Ontario, opening the areas with fewer or less cases before the hotspots of the GTA and Hamilton. So you can enjoy a patio beer before me and all the morons that had to hang out in Trinity Bellwoods Park

This is a bureaucratic town man, things never happen quickly in Ottawa until a bunch of levels of government have committees ans meetings to discuss what they will discuss at meetings take place so I wouldn't be so sure about that lol

On 03/06/2020 at 14:33, Torpar said:

Posted something about this in the Minnesota Riots thread but they are totally different things so posting here

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/siu-probing-death-of-woman-from-toronto-balcony

A week ago a woman, Regis Korchinski-Paquet, dies after falling from a 24th floor balcony. Police were there at the time attending a domestic dispute call from the mother of the woman. They meet the family in the hallway outside her apartment, the mother was insisting they take her daughter to CAMH (the local mental health facility) Regis says she needs to use the bathroom and officers accompany her back into her apartment. She then ends up falling to her death. The mother and cousin tell people that police officers pushed her off the balcony and an alarming amount of people that as the truth and final word on the subject. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/protest-toronto-regis-korchinski-paquet-1.5591745

Then yesterday this news story comes out

https://torontosun.com/news/crime/woman-blockaded-balcony-door-before-deadly-fall-sources

Now it's not an official statement and just comes from "sources" but seems a little more plausible than police officers pushing a woman off a balcony. It's just mental how many SJW types seemed almost delighted that they now had a homegrown cause to get behind. 

I can not wait to move. 

Every second sentence.

Somewhere in the Peel or Halton area, Milton would be nice or maybe the London area as I could move to our company's office there. Looked at Oshawa/Ajax area, it's cheap but it's also a bit grime. 

Used to live in Oshawa, up near Durham colleague. Was okay, but bland as much of Canada is in my opinion. At least a short drive into some country though

Depends on what you mean by bland I guess. If you mean in comparison to our mental Southern neighbour then I'm quite happy it's bland. But it's diversity of people and landscapes make it far from bland for me. Like you mentioned, it's a short drive from the city to the country and the further north you go in Ontario the nicer it seems to get (maybe not Sudbury so much) Manitoulin Island truly is God's Country imo and I've had many a good night (and day) in Wikwemikong reserve.

Canada is for the most part an excellent country to live in, their treatment of First Nations people was appalling in the past and isn't a whole lot better in some places today, but generally for such a diverse country seems to be quite harmonious.  

On 05/06/2020 at 08:39, senorsoupe said:

This is a bureaucratic town man, things never happen quickly in Ottawa until a bunch of levels of government have committees ans meetings to discuss what they will discuss at meetings take place so I wouldn't be so sure about that lol

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/restaurants-hair-salons-and-malls-can-reopen-in-parts-of-ontario-on-friday-toronto-area-excluded-1.4973956

Enjoy your haircut and pint on Friday mate! In the meantime I'll have to make do with a 2 all over cut from my wife! 

On 05/06/2020 at 14:55, Torpar said:

Depends on what you mean by bland I guess. If you mean in comparison to our mental Southern neighbour then I'm quite happy it's bland. But it's diversity of people and landscapes make it far from bland for me. Like you mentioned, it's a short drive from the city to the country and the further north you go in Ontario the nicer it seems to get (maybe not Sudbury so much) Manitoulin Island truly is God's Country imo and I've had many a good night (and day) in Wikwemikong reserve.

Canada is for the most part an excellent country to live in, their treatment of First Nations people was appalling in the past and isn't a whole lot better in some places today, but generally for such a diverse country seems to be quite harmonious.  

Canada is a great country but a lot of the GTA is pretty dull. Just loads of generic suburbs with chain family restaurants.  Tons of folk commuting on that horrendous highway into the city everyday, not for me like.

• 2 weeks later...