It's all kicking off in Canada

On 8/26/2017 at 02:35, BallochSonsFan said:

Let's be honest here. The only sport that matters in Canada is hockey. Anything else is just baws for people who can't skate and are therefore lesser, diminished Canadians in the eyes of their fellow Canucks.

Or poor, or an immigrant, or both. I'm both but can play hockey so like to think I'm above other poor immigrants.

7 hours ago, Andershen said:

I emigrated to Canada on Friday. 

Swapping Dundee for Vancouver...

If you ever get homesick for Dundee, a wee trip to Downtown Eastside should help!

On 8/26/2017 at 02:35, BallochSonsFan said:

Let's be honest here. The only sport that matters in Canada is hockey. Anything else is just baws for people who can't skate and are therefore lesser, diminished Canadians in the eyes of their fellow Canucks.

Curling is also pretty popular.  Partially because you don't need to be as fit (or wealthy) to play it, and partially because in most parts of the country you can drink while playing

On 26/08/2017 at 07:35, BallochSonsFan said:

Baby seal clubbing was said to be quite the thing.

Although you're probably right, Lacrosse has equal weighting in terms of official national sports (this being the summer game whist hockey is the official winter game). That said, that's a bit like French also being an official language to keep the Quebecian(?) separatists at bay. Just another case of schools forcing kids to do something they couldn't give a f*** about.

M'on the Mooseheads btw. That's my team.

Although you're probably right, Lacrosse has equal weighting in terms of official national sports (this being the summer game whist hockey is the official winter game). That said, that's a bit like French also being an official language to keep the Quebecian(?) separatists at bay. Just another case of schools forcing kids to do something they couldn't give a f*** about.

Play at the Scotia bank centre.... about 10 mins from me.
Think they used to play at the Halifax forum which is a bit closer.... 2 mins away.
Don't know how good or bad they are though.... don't follow hockey much.
Was meant to go to a Moosehead v cape Breton game a while back, But had to cancel due to work.
That's the closest I've been to going.

45 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Quebecois is the technical term.  And it's a bit more complicated than just forcing kids to learn something they don't care about.  French is the first language of nearly 1/4 of the Canadian population and being fluent in both languages is pretty useful.  Lacrosse being the official national sport is more of a historic thing as a nod to the indigenous people of Canada.  Realistically it's a niche sport while Hockey is the most popular to watch, while Curling (I think) has the highest participation rate. 

4 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Quebecois is the technical term.  And it's a bit more complicated than just forcing kids to learn something they don't care about.  French is the first language of nearly 1/4 of the Canadian population and being fluent in both languages is pretty useful.  Lacrosse being the official national sport is more of a historic thing as a nod to the indigenous people of Canada.  Realistically it's a niche sport while Hockey is the most popular to watch, while Curling (I think) has the highest participation rate. 

Read somewhere that Lacrosse and Ice Hockey are the most expensive sports in North America for parents to pay for their kids to take part. No wonder curling's popular. Played ice hockey in Sweden when I was 8-11, great way to learn to skate, the stick helps you stay upright.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Read somewhere that Lacrosse and Ice Hockey are the most expensive sports in North America for parents to pay for their kids to take part. No wonder curling's popular. Played ice hockey in Sweden when I was 8-11, great way to learn to skate, the stick helps you stay upright.

Hockey is really expensive.  One of my coworkers has a son who plays and it costs her well north of $1000 per year, and he's not even a goalie.  I played competitive curling as a teenager and it cost my family a fraction of that (probably closer to $200-$300 per year including hotels for long away bonspiels).  Plus you can curl long after you are too old to play hockey, and as mentioned previously you can drink while you curl (although not at the competitive level)

I think this may depend on where you live in Canada but I genuinely don't know a single person that participates in curling. "Soccer" I'd imagine has the highest number of players, it's definitely the most popular sport played by new Canadians

5 minutes ago, Torpar said:

I think this may depend on where you live in Canada but I genuinely don't know a single person that participates in curling. "Soccer" I'd imagine has the highest number of players, it's definitely the most popular sport played by new Canadians

And has to be one of the cheapest.

1 minute ago, Torpar said:

It's definitely more popular out west or in smaller towns than it is in the major Central Canadian cities (Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, etc...) but there are still a lot of curling clubs in the cities.  Ottawa probably has more curling clubs per capita than Toronto mind you.  Oh and fun fact I used to work with a former Canadian curling champion!

Just now, welshbairn said:

And has to be one of the cheapest.

It is a lot cheaper than Hockey.  The inconvenient truth of Hockey is that it's quickly becoming a sport only available to wealthy families, at least if you want to play in a league.  

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

It is a lot cheaper than Hockey.  The inconvenient truth of Hockey is that it's quickly becoming a sport only available to wealthy families, at least if you want to play in a league.  

We just used to play on frozen ponds or lakes. A neighbour had a big yard that they used to hose water on when it was cold enough. I don't think the kit was that expensive though, my folks were generally pretty mean.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We just used to play on frozen ponds or lakes. A neighbour had a big yard that they used to hose water on when it was cold enough. I don't think the kit was that expensive though, my folks were generally pretty mean.

If you are playing in a backyard rink or on a frozen pond (shinny) then it's not too expensive as you don't need all the pads and gear, you just need skates, a stick, and a helmet (or at least it's a good idea for kids to have helmets).  If a kid wants to play in an organized league in a proper arena then you are looking at close to a thousand dollars worth of equipment for a skater, probably close to 2 grand for a goalie, plus huge league fees.  And kids will often need that gear replaced every year as they grow.  

My dad made a rink in our backyard and I played with used skates, a cheap wooden stick and a hand-me down helmet but my parents could never afford to put me in an organized league, and we weren't that poor.

Edited by senorsoupe

6 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Very true, the $1,000 a year you mentioned your co-worker pays seems a bargain compared to playing hockey in the GTHL, the top minor league here, where I read a midget AAA kid pays around $5,500 a year.

Just now, Torpar said:

Very true, the $1,000 a year you mentioned your co-worker pays seems a bargain compared to playing hockey in the GTHL, the top minor league here, where I read a midget AAA kid pays around $5,500 a year.

This kid is only 13 and he plays for his school team in Gatineau so it's a lot cheaper than a midget AAA level in the GTA.  It may be more than $1000, that was what she mentioned for him last year