Dumbarton v Rangers

This thread is beyond tedious now, wherever an Old Firm team play, you'll always find their fans in the wrong end. Its the nature of the beast(s), perhaps if more of our fellow townsfolk bought tickets and cheered on their local team we'd fill our own end.

:unsure2:

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is beyond tedious now, wherever an Old Firm team play, you'll always find their fans in the wrong end. Its the nature of the beast(s), perhaps if more of our fellow townsfolk bought tickets and cheered on their local team we'd fill our own end.

:unsure2:

Things is, I know of Dumbarton fans who didn't get a ticket because they sold out so quickly. It just annoys me that they couldn't get tickets because the opposing teams fans wrongfully bought them. We are being told to 'deal with it' basically? But why can't the Rangers fans just deal with the fact we have a small stadium and they should maybe have to miss a match?

Chances are half of the Dumbarton based Rangers fans - I recognised a few - don't even bother going to home Rangers games.

Things is, I know of Dumbarton fans who didn't get a ticket because they sold out so quickly. It just annoys me that they couldn't get tickets because the opposing teams fans wrongfully bought them. We are being told to 'deal with it' basically? But why can't the Rangers fans just deal with the fact we have a small stadium and they should maybe have to miss a match?

Chances are half of the Dumbarton based Rangers fans - I recognised a few - don't even bother going to home Rangers games.

But it wasn't sold out. Crowd was 1850.

Dumbarton supporters do have a case when some of them are missing out. They just went down the wrong road when they started on about non existent violence.

I have no problem with going in the home end as long as they are not likely to sell out. That wasnt the case here.

Is it not the case that in a sell out, some seats will be kept vacant for the purposes of segregation?

Pete - i think as we have a natural break between the home and away fans (posh seats), we perhaps dont need to keep the empty lines of seats we have seen at other grounds.....then again the only time i am in that section is when im in the hospitality, so its fair to say my judgement may have been slightly impaired

In Dumbarton???????????

There's the 'Dumbarton & Alexandria Loyal RSC' , why don't you ask them? Reckon they probably have more members than our average home gate. As BBPF says it really is sad that so many people ignore their local team to tag a long as a glory hunter with one of the ugly sisters.

Probably a 50/50 split between Rangers and Celtic to be honest. Hoardes of buses leave the town every weekend to head to Glasgow whilst we struggle to scrape together 1000 fans.

It's incredibly sad when you think about it.

It pisses me off no end. Is it particularly bad in Dumbarton, compared to other towns in the Glasgow area? How big is Dumbarton's population. The club seems smaller than it should be.

It pisses me off no end. Is it particularly bad in Dumbarton, compared to other towns in the Glasgow area? How big is Dumbarton's population. The club seems smaller than it should be.

1. As of 2006, the town had an estimated population of 19,990 and forms a conurbation with Alexandria, Bonhill and Renton with a combined estimated population of 44,690.

That's from Wiki^^^

When you also include areas in Argyle & Bute that are local like Helensburgh, Luss etc then the average home gate of about 5-600 looks even more pathetic.

I'd say Dumbarton is particularly bad considering we have our own club. Places like Clydebank are probably similar but the only current alternative they have is ourselves or a junior outfit (hopefully they can work their way back into the SPFL). Most locals take a passing interest in the Sons but that's about it. When any old firm supporting friends enquire about attending a game they tend to be put off by the price, which unfortunately isn't just a problem in Dumbarton.

The youngsters are who we need to target, get them hooked and hopefully fend off the lure of supporting either of the Old Firm. If it was up to me u16s would get in for free or we'd have someone doing the rounds in local schools dishing out free tickets and promoting the club. This may or may not work but it's worth a bash. Does anyone with kids know if the club is advertised at all in local schools?

We're always going to be up against it given our geographical location. Combined with Alexandria I think our population is around 50k but may be mistaken.

It would be good if we could get a few players who have the time to go round to local schools. They could maybe do a bit of coaching with the kids, speak about the club and then hand out some tickets. I remember some guy from Thistle did that when I was in P4 (or something like that) and quite a few people in the school started going to their games.

Archived