St Mirren V Ross County 25/10/14

St. Mirren had plenty of the ball but County were quite comfortable for most of the first half. Brown had that double save but I (and most of the County fans I spoke to) weren't too concerned about Saints getting an equaliser - until it came of course.

The second half was more open from both teams. County's second goal was reasonably well worked (Goodwin getting out muscled by Arquin again, IIRC that happened for a goal last season?). Don't remember much about the equaliser as I only saw Tesselar shooting, but it's disappointing to lose a goal that quickly.

Two teams bereft of real quality but an exciting game. This is only my third game of the season that I've attended so a few observations:

> Gardyne looked good at times - I wasn't pleased with his return but he looked like the player that tore the First Division apart.

> Darren Barr makes an okay makeshift left-back. He was caught out for the second goal (I think) but he looks a better player than Ben Gordon did last season.

> Paul Quinn looks a good signing and with him, County's defence can only improve. I would eventually like to see Frempah replacing Boyd.

> Irvine is a better signing that I expected. A holding player (like Lawson was) playing beside him would be ideal - hopefully Woods can do that role.

> I have nothing but pity/sympathy for Jake Jervis. He's clearly not good enough but he's trying to do his best. That slip, when he had plenty of time, summed him up.

> If De Leeuw is to leave, County need a replacement.

St. Mirren looked a poor team. The defence push up but the two centre-backs have no pace. County looked to be unlucky with one offside goal, but there looked to be other offside decisions that were questionable. Callum Ball is a disgrace and it must be soul destroying to see him instead of Steven Thompson - Ball will probably do a job purely because he's a big guy but he's obviously well overweight and looks like he belongs in Sunday league.

I'd have taken a draw beforehand but when you get a legitimate goal disallowed that could put your team 0-2 up, it's a bit sore.

Edit: Carey's set-piece delivery isn't as good as Vigurs. However his crossing is much better. For a brief moment, I thought his free-kick yesterday was dipping under the bar.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carey usually delivers one ball a game which is as good as you get at this level. The other 10 attempts are often over hit or short to the first defender.

Disappointed to only take a point, but some real signs of improvement. Only Celtic have beaten us in the last 4 games.

As I said prior to the game Quinn is very good signing, not just ability but he is a real leader which we need.

Jackson Irvine is also proving he will be a key member of the team.

How did Tony Dingwall do when he came on?

How did Tony Dingwall do when he came on?

He had a couple of nice touches and kept to simple (but effective) passes. Got stuck in a couple of times. He didn't do anything wrong but probably didn't get enough to have any real impact. His running style looks very awkward, almost as if he's constantly carrying an injury. It's good that he's getting introduced into the team.

My only complaint about Dingwall getting game-time (on the right) is that it pushes Maatsen further down the pecking order. I still feel that County could do with an out-and-out winger on the bench.

Yesterday's game was dire , I was actually bored and waiting for it to end so I could get to the pub.

We have a major issue up front, yet again yesterday we failed to create enough changes and when we did Ball froze. I think the big man works hard but needs support up there with him. Why does Tommy insist on isolating Ball, please start playing two strikers! We were at home to bottom of the league and we still didn't have a go, we actually looked quite happy to take a point. Bad times.

I'm fairly certain he won the ball back deep inside our half after we lost the ball in midfield too. Good to see him getting some game time.

He did, which was brilliant, but it was in a St Mirren counter which Dingwall was complicit in allowing by undercooking a pass.

Just posted on Twitter by Gardyne. Shocking decision

Like McIntyre said, it's not even a marginal decision. Inexcusable for the linesman to cock that up.

That is quite disgraceful.

Indeed..

Sean Kelly should get his arse booted for playing them on. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it was a dreadful call, almost as bad as the decision we got against us last season at Tannadice.

I wasn't having a go at you, I just don't rate Carey and don't see why so many of our fans do! He scored a couple of peaches against Rangers and Hearts in his first spell with us. I think the other one you mean was at Pittodrie but that was in November 2011, he didn't score any set pieces in a year and a half after that and only the one goal from open play too. His assist total was far lower in that second season in his second spell too if I remember correctly. That record is nowhere near good enough to justify having him in the team when he contributes so little outside of dead balls.

Off the top of my head, there's loads of players who I think are consistently better set-piece takers: Mulgrew, Robson, Brittain, Niall McGinn, Clingan, Greg Tansey, van Dijk and Iain Vigurs to name some.

I meant Saturday attendances earlier but I was pleasantly surprised by the turnout considering the apathy around the club at the moment. County brought good numbers down considering their position too, fair play to them.

I agree with what you say about Carey. BAWA tweeted yesterday that he was the best player on the park and he should never have left.

I agree he was the best player on the park, but I don't agree that he should never have left. Him being released was the right call, and I said so at the time.

Van Dijk? I never even knew he hit free kicks for Celtic. Carey hit every corner and free kick for County yesterday, and practically every one caused us problems. We weren't defending them great, but the quality of delivery was superb. I don't remember any player causing us so many problems from dead balls as he did yesterday. His free kick from beside the touch line that hit the bar when everyone was expecting a cross was an outrageous bit of technique.

Regarding the offside call, that is a horrible decision.

We were doing our usual overly high line yesterday, but it was actually working for long spells. Kelly has simply lost concentration there and got himself out of position, but we've got away with it.

Apart from that we must have caught them offside about 10 or 15 times. That striker Arquin would have been more than half of them. Both him and Ball had terrible games yesterday, but I thought Arquin was the worst of the two. He was just hopeless.

Was certainly an open game with plenty of chances, a bit too open. Finished 2-2 and could easily have been 4-4. We need someone in that midfield to protect our back 4, we need someone like Isaac Osbourne. Hopefully he's back shortly and we can kick on.

Every one I believe has accepted the officials got the offside decision with Gardyne and Aqrquin wrong.

However the highlights show that Saints first goal shouldn't have been chopped off (Naismith actually pushed from behind causing him to contact the player in front) and Arquin definitely doing an ice hockey blocking job on Kello for RC's first.

Shame the usual Sportscene highlights programme missed Ball's great chance in the second half... same as Ball then.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1414339704.860044.jpg

Just posted on Twitter by Gardyne. Shocking decision

Don't know what you are complaining about. Clearly offside. :angel

I suspect the linesman did what I did, was looking at the ball and Arquin and had no idea where Gardyne was and simply guessed it. I suspect a lot of offsides are actually guessed.

Think our first being chopped off looks a wee bit harsh, but then if you concede to us from a corner it must be a foul or you should be immediately relegated. If I was Tommy Craig I would have them standing practising dead balls until they could do it.

Think our first being chopped off looks a wee bit harsh, but then if you concede to us from a corner it must be a foul or you should be immediately relegated. If I was Tommy Craig I would have them standing practising dead balls until they could do it.

Indeed it was.

Looks like Quinn leans into Naismith's back, which pushes him onto the other defender.

Subtle, but a foul all the same.

Either a penalty for us or the goal should have stood.

Still, they all even themselves out in the end.

Indeed it was.

Looks like Quinn leans into Naismith's back, which pushes him onto the other defender.

Subtle, but a foul all the same.

Either a penalty for us or the goal should have stood.

Still, they all even themselves out in the end.

Indeed, only last week we saw that sometimes a defender pushing or pulling an opponent DOES result in a penalty.

And in fact, 10 minutes after that we saw that sometimes an attacker can take the keeper out of the game it's not penalised.

All evening out nicely :-)

Don't know what you are complaining about. Clearly offside. :angel

I suspect the linesman did what I did, was looking at the ball and Arquin and had no idea where Gardyne was and simply guessed it. I suspect a lot of offsides are actually guessed.

I know you're being sarcastic, but watch the highlights again and see where Kello ends up, and WHY he ends up there.

Kello's coming for the ball and Arquin just completely takes him out of the game.

Maybe Kello should have been stronger and just went through him, but maybe he was scared of giving away a penalty?

Archived