The European Union

Reynard

Will it? Show your working pls.

Given the UK gives a net spend of £12billion per year to the EU (we'll ignore Farage's fanciful claims since he ignores the money we get back from the EU), and Scotland accounts for 8.4% of the UK population, that means Scotland will be paying £1billion as part of our share.

Now, Scotland generated £4billion of revenue for 13/14. That means unless oil revenue falls drastically, Scotland won't be spending all its oil money on EU membership .

Even if we use the £20billion per year figure, Scotland still pays roughly £1.6billion as part of "our share".

We will pay a comparable amount to somewhere like Finland with a similar population and GDP.

Around 1.8bn I'd reckon.

Lets hope the next 6months oil income goes on an upward curve then eh? <_<

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well look at that: support for leaving the EU sinks in tandem with the rise of UKIP, who are of course going to form a coalition and drag us out.

UKIP are a toxic brand and are ruining the Eurosceptic cause.

Who with?

We will pay a comparable amount to somewhere like Finland with a similar population and GDP.

Around 1.8bn I'd reckon.

Lets hope the next 6months oil income goes on an upward curve then eh? <_<

"Around £1.8billion" is wrong.

Using population to determine how much Scotland pays:

Net spend: £1,008,000,000

So, given the 2014/15 revenues are already at £1.1billion, there's little chance of all the oil money being spent on the EU (if Scotland pays its own share). OBR's prediction for the whole of 14/15 is £3.6 billion - at the moment that seems optimistic, but if we assume that Scotland generates the same oil revenue in the second half of 14/15, we're still at £2.2billion.

"Around £1.8billion" is wrong.

Net spend: £1,008,000,000

So, given the 2014/15 revenues are already at £1.1billion, there's little chance of all the oil money being spent on the EU (if Scotland pays its own share). OBR's prediction for the whole of 14/15 is £3.6 billion - at the moment that seems optimistic, but if we assume that Scotland generates the same oil revenue in the second half of 14/15, we're still at £2.2billion.

Its not "wrong". And until we start coughing up we wont know anyway. You are guessing too.

Scotland will certainly be coughing more than you are guessing too.

Do they use population?

Is that why the UK are currently being asked to cough up more to account for the fact our economy is pissing on the Eurozone's?

Looks like the Eurocrats didn't get the Nat memos. Haven't they heard that the UK is a "basket case" economy, ready for an IMF bailout?

Do they use population?

Is that why the UK are currently being asked to cough up more to account for the fact our economy is pissing on the Eurozone's?

Looks like the Eurocrats didn't get the Nat memos. Haven't they heard that the UK is a "basket case" economy, ready for an IMF bailout?

Anti EU Britnats arguing the wrongs of a wealthier region of the union subsidising the poorer parts.

????

I wasn't being serious I'm afraid - that was the fashionable line for a while pre-referendum.

They'll get less seats than Plaid Cymru and no-one will work with them.

But, but, but... It's going to be a Tory UKIP Coalition and Nigel Farage will be deputy prime minister!!1!1!1

Its not "wrong". And until we start coughing up we wont know anyway. You are guessing too.

Scotland will certainly be coughing more than you are guessing too.

"Certainly"?

Do they use population?

Why wouldn't they? As being a region in the UK, how else to do you propose Scotland pays its own share of the UK's fee?

We're not talking about the membership fee of an independent Scotland - we're talking about a Scotland that's still part of the UK, contributing towards the UK membership payment.

I think many people see EU and immigration as one and the same issue, which they aren't.

The problem I and many people have with the EU is the erosion of British sovereignty from London to Brussels.

I am pro immigration while being anti EU. I would like us to leave the needless and expensive bureaucracy of big government in Brussels, whilst retaining our current immigration arrangements.

"Certainly"?

Why wouldn't they? As being a region in the UK, how else to do you propose Scotland pays its own share of the UK's fee?

We're not talking about the membership fee of an independent Scotland - we're talking about a Scotland that's still part of the UK, contributing towards the UK membership payment.

Oh yes

Looks like the outgoing commission president is intent on shafting as many of "the awkward squad" as he possibly can. From the attempt to remove funding from the Eurosceptic bloc in the parliament (failed) to lumping UK taxpayers with a 1.7bn Euro bill for the economy doing too well. How dare we see any GDP growth.

Cameron is going to look like a bigger c**t than normal no matter what he does next. And it should give Ukip some traction

Martin Shultz was thwarted by the Eurosceptics managing to find some dodgy Danish nutter to get their numbers up, but Cameron is shafted. Good politcs I suppose from Barosso and co. But lets face it, WE will be paying for this as usual.

As I remember, Blair gave up a 2bn rebate in order to get CAP reform. As this has never happened the UK should demand they get their money back as the EU has reneged on this. 2005 I think, so an 18bn cheque in return, thanks.

Bbbbuut.. UKIP.... nasty anti-EU English people...

That cant be true??????

But, but, but... It's going to be a Tory UKIP Coalition and Nigel Farage will be deputy prime minister!!1!1!1

Yes these were all scare stories used by the Yes campaign to try and counter the No campaign. Yes its negative politics but what point are you pair trying to make?

That the Yes campaign tried to use negative tactics?

That these scare stories were over-hyped bullshit?

That's fine other than the fact that the No campaign relied much more on negative tactics - and the level of bullshit dwarfed any attempts by the Yes campaign.

Anti EU Britnats arguing the wrongs of a wealthier region of the union subsidising the poorer parts.

I'm not anti-EU.

So unlucky - not a surprise to see you being utterly wrong again - it's all you seem good at.

Archived