The European Union

Reynard

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people in Scotland clearly didn't want this. You are a minority opinion in Scotland. Nationalism has been firmly rejected in a democratic vote by the people.

Unlucky <_<

Hardly.

The Yes campaign gave the establishment fuckwits the fright of their fucking lives.

Erm no, you might want to actually check up on the histories of Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland etc. before they were included in the EU (hint: they were all backward, economic black holes, three of which were also dangerously authoritarian, corrupt dumps). You can whine about the pace of European integration if you like, but you will not find a majority of opinion in any of the above states, nor those in eastern Europe, who actually long for a return to the days when their own corrupt political elites ran the entire shop. Nor do their populaces wish to leave the Euro, because they know fine well that paying for imports like oil in a clown currency like the drachma is not economically preferable.

The biggest bitching about the EU is rather unsurprisingly found among the chippy post-imperial set, and their concern about the poor southern Europeans are crocodile tears.

Well, the economic hole part is true again. Unemployment is at just under a quarter of the workforce in Spain and just over a quarter in Greece. Meanwhile, austerity is forced from further up due to the bailouts and they are pretty much stuck. At least if they got out they'd have complete control and could perhaps start rinsing out the mess rather than wait for policy to eventually change in their favour. The currency angle is an interesting one - the Euro is crippling them but leaving it may f**k them as well. There really isn't a right answer, although there are various options available.

Do you believe further integration will help turn these countries around?

I actually agree that you wouldn't find a majority in these countries who want to leave. There are, after all, several advantages that they'd have to give up like free movement/trade and the surplus of funding they gain from the EU relative to what they put in. Even if they don't leave, being in the EU is no barrier to corrupt and/or authoritarian governments.

I don't agree with who does the most moaning about the EU. Spain and Greece in particular are a highlight of fiscal policy failings and the mess they are in isn't helping the EU's prosperity.

Generally I find it's people who aren't happy with the freedom of movement aspect and get angry about immigration that moan the most about the EU. It's also why I don't think we'll ever vote to leave - the immigration angle is toxic and UKIP are destroying their own dreams by prioritising this argument.

I think I was proving that YOUR argument was actually the steaming pile of excrement.

Yep. Why should scottish MPs be allowed to continue to influence policy when English MPs cant do the same in Scotland, Wales etc? If scotland want to spend more money then it should tax its own citizens for the pleasure and justify it to the electorate up here.

That almost sounds like independence.

They are. Particularly yourself

I have no interest in nationalism. English, Scottish or even British. But I do have a strong aversion to an unelected group of people dictating what I can and cannot do. Thats my gripe with the EU.

I'm sure you'll be arguing with equal vigour for the abolition of the House of Lords and the monarchy then?

I'm sure you'll be arguing with equal vigour for the abolition of the House of Lords and the monarchy then?

I have done often. But not on a thread about the European Union. :1eye

Maybe you should start a thread about those topics if they exercise you so much? I'm sure you'll have lots of incisive comment on here..

About ten minutes spent on radio Scotland this morning with the panicky left analysing some Polish MEP that seems to have stopped Martin Shultzs plan to make every Eurosceptic MEP a second class citizen. I can't be the only one having enormous fun at the blind panic being displayed towards UKIP by the political establishment. Particularly on the Scottish run bit of the BBC and when Ukip have ONE elected representative in the whole of Scotland. :lol:

Everything from the (Polish) Satan having had the bad taste to allow UKIP to avoid the Shultz plot to Mike Reid being a closet Grand Kleagle for doing a caribbean calypso in a caribbean accent. (My gran used to sing "je ne regret rien" in a French accent: did that make her racist?)

With drivel like this, it is no wonder they believe Farage to be a "Teflon man".

They'd be much better off attacking Ukip on their non existent policies rather than this sort of crap. I wonder when these buckled lefty fucks will start to calm down a bit? They are giving Ukip all the publicity they could ever wish for

I have done often. But not on a thread about the European Union. :1eye

Maybe you should start a thread about those topics if they exercise you so much? I'm sure you'll have lots of incisive comment on here..

You haven't even done so on a thread about the HoL.

No one knows how any part of the UK would vote, before the 1975 referendum the NO vote was miles ahead but the YES vote got there in the end. If the majority of the rest of the UK voted to stay, and the majority of Scots voted to leave, would the SNP try and pull Scotland out ? If not why do they waffle on about the rest of the UK voting to leave, with the majority of Scots wanting to stay and "dragging" Scotland out. The EU would love the UK to break up completely, for the simple reason. DIVIDE AND CONQUER.

Archived