Shire vs Pars- William Hill Scottish Cup 3rd Round

The reason people are slightly critical despite the win is that we shouldn't be judged on games like this.

When it comes to the crunch we do not have it, Geggan said so himself in the paper today.

"We need to cut out the mistakes" "you can get away with it in the league to an extent but not in the cups"

Guess Geggan knows nothing also then.

Where in those quotes you have picked does Geggan say anything like you are implying?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times can the manager and now the captain trot out the mistakes line?

If you think picking holes in that statement is being negative then fair enough but when we make the same mistakes in the playoffs what do you think will happen? Same as Alloa, same as Cowden. It's not good enough and JJ can't fix it. He has to go before the next transfer window to give someone else a chance to sort it out. Just get an experienced couple of players, let some go out on loan. Practice marking and set plays. We are a full time side with the biggest budget in the league and more than half the teams in the league above us.

If we don't go up its part time and the crowds will drop to 1000 and will probably never recover. We have left it a year too long to sack JJ.

But no, let's all sit back and watch it happen.

If you think picking holes in that statement is being negative then fair enough but when we make the same mistakes in the playoffs what do you think will happen? Same as Alloa, same as Cowden. It's not good enough and JJ can't fix it. He has to go before the next transfer window to give someone else a chance to sort it out. Just get an experienced couple of players, let some go out on loan. Practice marking and set plays. We are a full time side with the biggest budget in the league and more than half the teams in the league above us.

if we don't go up its part time and the crowds will drop to 1000 and will probably never recover. We have left it a year too long to sack JJ.

But no, let's all sit back and watch it happen.

:lol:

No hyperbole there then.

And yes I do think you have gone into overdrive now with your negative view on the management (and anything you can possibly link to them) and you arguments are making less and less sense as a result

And yet I have not seen one reasoned thought out response other than financial fear that shows JJ in good light.

I knew that when he stood by us in admin that this potential situation could happen. The board are in a very weak position and don't want to make the tough decision.

I think after the Cowden game he should've held his hands up and admitted its beyond him. I don't dislike him as a person and obviously still want him to do well but the past months and years tell me that unless we have a major turnaround and win the league it's not going to end well.

Can someone outline how and why they have faith in him and how he will turn it around, can you give some examples please?

I wasn't there but I'm not going to get too excited over a 4-1 win over a League 2 side but on the flip side it is a 4-1 win and a case of job done so moaning about things is a pointless exercise this week.

And yet I have not seen one reasoned thought out response other than financial fear that shows JJ in good light.

I knew that when he stood by us in admin that this potential situation could happen. The board are in a very weak position and don't want to make the tough decision.

I think after the Cowden game he should've held his hands up and admitted its beyond him. I don't dislike him as a person and obviously still want him to do well but the past months and years tell me that unless we have a major turnaround and win the league it's not going to end well.

Can someone outline how and why they have faith in him and how he will turn it around, can you give some examples please?

It's going to be a bit tricky for anyone to give examples of how JJ is going to turn things around in the future.

Obviously, he's not going to be the Pars manager in the long term. However, we 'won' the league comfortably last season. The squad has been improved and the players all have another year of playing together under their belts. We're two points off the top of the league with 75 points still to play for.

Our full time status is going to be more of an advantage as the season wears on, especially during the third quarter of the season when some of the other teams will find it more difficult to train together when the weather is sh1te.

If we're not a few points clear at the top by the end of March I'd be panicking. If we look like we have to deal with the play-offs again I'd be panicking, but all JJ has to do is win the league and our league performance last year is the best example that he can do that with this squad.

Either way you're going to be shot of him soon, because he's said that this is going to be his last job as a manager, so calm down FFS.

We dominated the game today and Scully had virtually nothing to do for 89 mins of the match. The Shire goal was a superb strike and Sculls had no chance with it. Apart from that, they had a couple of weak efforts on goal which Scully dealt with at ease. Overall, Urquhart stepped in for the injured Martin comfortably and Buchanan was solid as a rock as usual. Whittle done well, particularly in the first half, imo, and he is certainly getting back to his best now, if he can stay injury free. Millen had an unspectacular game but never put a foot wrong. Got up the right wing a few times, his deliveries were generally decent from open and set plays, while has cheeky and audacious chip for the penalty was the icing on the cake for a good team performance this afternoon. We never missed Josh at all this afternoon. Geggan isn't 100% fully fit yet but he's getting there. Similar to Millen, an unspectacular performance but never made any major errors and done what he had to well, I thought. Spence is consistently good. He had another good game in front of the back 4, but also got up to support the strikers when he could. He made a great run for Byrne's goal which made the defender unsure where to go or who to track, this, allowing Byrne to jinx his way into the open space before a composed finish. Byrne had a good game overall, moreso in the second half I'd say. There are small flashes that the player we know he can be are starting to shine through again. Forbes had an impressive game, imo. He worked hard, played some nice balls into the strikers while also having a couple of digs at goal - one in particular forcing the Shire keeper Barnard into a top drawer save. Moffat worked hard and only really had one opportunity, (similar to his chance vs Morton last week) where he got ahead of his man at the near post but couldn't direct it on target, hitting the side net. Overall though, contributed to the win putting in the cross for Faiss' goal and is only a goal away from regaining the predatory touch in front on the net, imo. Faissal has turned into a scoring sensation since his return from injury - that's 5 this season now in all competitions, our top scorer. Took his goals well, albeit the first one being slightly fortuitous as he didn't hit it cleanly, it came off his knee I think. I do agree with JJ though, that his decision making requires work as he missed a couple of other chances which were guilt edge, but thankfully never cost us today. In terms of the subs, none really made a massive impact. Thomson won the penalty with a good run into the box but apart from that was pretty synonymous tbh. Ugwu had a good shot near the end which forced the keeper into a save while young Thomas camr on, ran about a lot energetically without really getting many touches of the ball - although, he did assist Shaun Byrne for his goal with a good pass to send him free. Overall, a convincing win with a good, solid team performance. Job done, into the hat for round 4! Onwards and Upwards!

People in this thread clearly furious they don't have anything to criticise JJ with :lol:

We absolutely battered what was an absolutely awful Shire team. Could and should have scored a lot more but if we're going to start complaining about 4-1 away wins then we should just pack it in now. Shire's goal was a screamer though and thought it was only right to applaud such a goal. Stranraer away in the next round though :thumbsdown

Hope we pick it up in the league next week now.

I think you can hear two boys near the camera laughing at whether Gozie will take the penalty or no!

JJ also said he wanted to grab Gozie's hand to make sure he didn't get to take it!

Cheers for posting the vid.

Still not sure if that was a complete sclaff by Faissal for his first or if he meant to score with his thigh. Great finishing for his second.

There's still something not right with our attempts at wing play but who needs wingers when you have Byrne playing those kind of balls through to Moff & Faissal?

If you think picking holes in that statement is being negative then fair enough...

I didn't pick any holes in any statements, you simply quoted Geggan and claimed he said something completely different despite the quote being right next to the words you typed. Strange really.

Completely dominated the game, scored four goals away from home and got through to the next round. Don't see why there should be any complaint tbh. Thought Moffat and Faissal linked really well up front while Shaun Byrne had a very good game in midfield.

Shire's goal was tremendous.

Archived