The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Current temperature in my part of Inverness 1.7c just now. Sky overcast and we had a little rain overnight.

Checked the traffic cams around the country and only the B835 from Dingwall to Ullapool at Aultguish has snow. Met Office Warnings for ice in Highland, West Grampian, North Tayside & Central and North Strathclyde.

We can see on this satellite animation the front that went through last night as a great long line of cloud followed by the showers. Look over to the west and we can see the storm/low pressure system has moved close to Iceland. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Its now believed this system isn't the monster sent to destroy us which was claimed by the likes of the Daily Express :lol: and will be nothing more than a low pressure system when it reaches us, I see that the main part of the system has stalled over Greenland and the rest of it has spread out across the North Atlantic weakening it. But given that it will hit the cold air on Sunday it could produce some snow, but nothing to suggest this is the start of this hard winter predicted, not yet anyway. :rolleyes:

8'' of snow, Arctic blasts, as cold as Moscow. :rolleyes:

Why the continued hysterics or doom and gloom over our weather?. No wonder us up here in Scotland laugh at these softies down in London who get all stressed out because the weather is something they cannot control. Nothing ever positive is said, yet some of us love weather like that.

This is fucking brilliant for skiers and snowboarders and provides work for people in this country in the ski resorts.

Edited by CityDave

It's a wee bit chilly here this morning. My friends in the Philippines have sent me their best wishes.

Yep that is armageddon type stuff, hope your friends stay safe.

Typhoon Hagupit reached the highest category 5 yesterday with 175mph winds and a central pressure of 905mb. A good blog on the Typhoon by Dr Jeff Masters which updates regularly http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2872

This system that people were getting hysterical about last week has stuck between Greenland and Iceland, all its done so far is send a warm front towards us as it weakened in the Atlantic a couple of days ago and as it reaches us its pushing the cold air from the Arctic away from us at least briefly. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Still keeping an eye on that system since it could affect us during the week.

Although we are likely to get snow showers tonight and tomorrow, weather cold enough to store your vodka outdoors is still way off. Noticed a polar low to the west of Norway on the pressure charts though (seen below), which is a sure sign winter has arrived. I don't know about anyone else but I always look to the north and the east for the real serious wintery weather rather than west across the Atlantic.

post-29857-0-11440800-1417858842_thumb.g

Edited by CityDave

This system that people were getting hysterical about last week has stuck between Greenland and Iceland, all its done so far is send a warm front towards us as it weakened in the Atlantic a couple of days ago and as it reaches us its pushing the cold air from the Arctic away from us at least briefly. http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Still keeping an eye on that system since it could affect us during the week.

Met Office forecasting gusts of 66mph on Wednesday, central west coast.

ETA: Update now showing 69mph.

Edited by FlyerTon

Yellow warning of high winds out early for next Wednesday, 10th Dec.

Currently yellow, but expect this to be upgraded to amber if the 70mph gusts are expected nearer the time.

Risk of storm force winds, western Scotland on Wednesday.

NB: Out of a scale of 1-12, storm force is a 10:

Edited by FlyerTon

_79549852_ex6.jpg

That's nice, :huh: but -8C is not that bad, not for us up here in the North.

A white Christmas would be a an event to look forward to, bring it on.

Better stock up on cheap table salt and Finnish vodka. ;)

Yellow warning of high winds out early for next Wednesday, 10th Dec.
Currently yellow, but expect this to be upgraded to amber if the 70mph gusts are expected nearer the time.
Risk of storm force winds, western Scotland on Wednesday.
NB: Out of a scale of 1-12, storm force is a 10:

This is a useful site I've come across (tis' for surfers),http://magicseaweed.com/news/black-wednesday-swell-for-north-atlantic/7017/nice animation of the storm as it moves towards us. I've heard concerns about high tides and the possibility that a storm surge could cause problems.

This chart looks worrying (below) with that storm's pressure dropping as much as 950mb in the center with those tightly packed millibars to the south, that's going to be a beast if it happens and the west coast is going to get the worst of it.

b5db2be41c.png