The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Looks like the weather is going to start getting lively again. But with rain, lots of it.

Yellow warnings issued by the Met Office - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1415664000 for today Tuesday and up to Saturday.

No flood alerts in Scotland so far, we wait.

Snow in Airdrie December 2010

Uploaded on Dec 7, 2010

This is what Plains in Airdrie was like BEFORE the major snow fall on Monday 6th December 2010. Although still passable when this was filmed at 8:30am, the roads were soon blocked by vehicles unable to negotiate the slippery conditions. This was the day that the M74, M8, M73 and most other roads were eventually closed for more than 24 hours.

Just awesome. :lol:

Snow in Airdrie December 2010

Uploaded on Dec 7, 2010

This is what Plains in Airdrie was like BEFORE the major snow fall on Monday 6th December 2010. Although still passable when this was filmed at 8:30am, the roads were soon blocked by vehicles unable to negotiate the slippery conditions. This was the day that the M74, M8, M73 and most other roads were eventually closed for more than 24 hours.

Just awesome. :lol:

Plains never looked better.

Some videos of our Scottish winters. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcv1mrL2qmo

The second video has been disabled not use on other sites, but if you click on the link on the screen you can view the video on youtube. The video shows shots of Kirkintilloch during a winter snowfall; its streets, park and boatyard on the Forth and Clyde Canal. National Library of Scotland.

Edited by CityDave

winter 2009/2010 was a pain in the dick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009%E2%80%9310_in_Great_Britain_and_Ireland

That was an incredible winter, I don't remember anything like it. The snow arrived with us in Inverness about the 13th Dec and just kept going until Xmas day. Temperatures from that week on never got above zero until late January. I think if I remember we were among the first to be hit with the winter weather, which for us in Inverness surprisingly is unusual.

The photo below taken on New Years day 2010 shows how much snow was still around about a week after the last snowfall.

post-29857-0-51831300-1415782564_thumb.j

Edited by CityDave

It was awful, a fresh blizzard came into january as well and travelling was a nightmare, i had a spell of being out of work then and my start date was effected by it for a new job!

Last winter in Edinburgh was great though hardly had any bad weather

It was awful, a fresh blizzard came into january as well and travelling was a nightmare, i had a spell of being out of work then and my start date was effected by it for a new job!

Last winter in Edinburgh was great though hardly had any bad weather

That road in the photo is a minor side street so low priority in clearing the snow of the road by the council. It was another week before they could spare a gritter to do the residential areas in the outskirts of the city as it was so bad they had to concentrate on clearing and keeping the main routes in and around the city open and ice free. The council ran out of salt and grit very early on and the grit bins around the city ran down very quickly since the council never expected anything like this they never had enough stockpiled so couldn't refill the bins. Many people were quite angry about this, but there was little that could be done, it was an unusual once in 20 years snowfall.

Keeping the driveway and path ice clear was a daily task and once it was evident the snow ploughs would not be clearing the road again for a while and the snow was so deep any car trying to drive on the road couldn't get any traction so I decided to start clearing the snow of the pavement and road in front of the house and then the next door neighbour's driveway, much of this because it needed to go somewhere else rather ended up in my driveway, a large mountain of snow at the side of the house. Hard work!!

What comes in handy and I always have a few bottles of it is cheap supermarket brand table salt, much cheaper than the sand and grit bags sold at garages or DIY stores and does just as well in keeping your path from icing up. ;)

Edited by CityDave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_2009%E2%80%9310_in_Great_Britain_and_Ireland

That was an incredible winter, I don't remember anything like it. The snow arrived with us in Inverness about the 13th Dec and just kept going until Xmas day. Temperatures from that week on never got above zero until late January. I think if I remember we were among the first to be hit with the winter weather, which for us in Inverness surprisingly is unusual.

The photo below taken on New Years day 2010 shows how much snow was still around about a week after the last snowfall.

1st January 2010 (10).jpg

I loved that winter. I remember having to park my car streets away because I had no chance of getting near my house and when I was walking home there was more people walking about the streets than at any other time of the year due to abandoning their cars. It was like a lovely Victorian street scene off of a Christmas card so it was. Except with more modern clothing and street furniture obvz.

I was living in Dundee city centre in 2010. It was like 28 days later ( the quiet street bits, not the zombies bit, the Seagate is always like that). The missus had to abandon her car on Lyon street and it stayed there over 2 weeks before we could move it.

My work was closed as were most shops in town. The buses were all off so even on a weekday it was like a ghost town. The council gave up clearing streets so even in the city square the snow was around 2 feet deep.

For some reason the only thing open was the bingo on the nethergate so ended up getting pished in there from mid day a few times. Good times.

Then there's the large dumping of snow over large areas of Scotland late November 2010 - only 2 weeks away from being 3 years ago now.

Aberdeen

Glasgow

Always wanted to build an Igloo or a snow cave. :D

Winter 2009 was bad but 2010 was unbelievable. Edinburgh was bombarded in late November and there was still snow on the ground in early February.

Fun times but it was probably a once every 10/15/20 years event. The last three years have been mild pish.

Here's hoping for some white stuff this winter, though.

The Express says we're doomed. The language in this article is actually hilarious.

Shocked forecasters warned tonight the latest high-tech weather models point to a CATASTROPHIC big freeze in late 2014 with THREE MONTHS of blizzards and Arctic gales.

tlj.png

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/534304/Winter-weather-forecast-UK-heavy-snow-months-polar-vortex

The Express says we're doomed. The language in this article is actually hilarious.

tlj.png

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/534304/Winter-weather-forecast-UK-heavy-snow-months-polar-vortex

OFFS! Leaving aside the fact that they say this every year, the forecasters struggle to accurately predict 3 days in advance never mind 3 months.

A guy I work with laps this shit up and passes it off as the gospel. Dick.

I love how these articles usually finish by pouring cold water on themselves with a bit of reality.

They start off with predictions of apocalyptic carnage and end with quotes from actual forecasters saying things like "temperatures are likely to be around average, with a slightly higher chance of being a little below average than above average".