The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

Got my power back at 10pm last night - been off since 4pm on Friday. 

I had my woodburner installed a couple of weeks ago so that was brilliant timing - even managed to cook meals on it which was particularly satisfying.  However, it was wierd not having easy access to the phone or internet (even 3G and 4G intermittent on my mobile) - spent the evenings reading by torch and candle light.  Some neighbours are still waiting for power but this is no surprise given the number of trees doon.

Went for a walk round my golf course - next to my hoose - I would say around 50 or 60 trees down......worst I have ever seen and probably the worst windy storm of my lifetime.

Was wondering whether a lot of damaged was caused by the storm blowing in an unusual direction. On the west coast we had gales but it was a bitterly cold wind, I had to go to Largs during a high tide and was expecting coast road being closed or getting hammered by breaking waves but the swell was blowing down the river. The Western ferries also went off for a while too even though they hammer through rougher weather all the time.

Was wondering whether a lot of damaged was caused by the storm blowing in an unusual direction. On the west coast we had gales but it was a bitterly cold wind, I had to go to Largs during a high tide and was expecting coast road being closed or getting hammered by breaking waves but the swell was blowing down the river. The Western ferries also went off for a while too even though they hammer through rougher weather all the time.
Think this was part of it for sure. We have no damage, but the giveaway about the wind direction for us is where all the fallen leaves had gathered. Normally we end up with a pile at the end of our driveway as the wind generally blows through the gap between our house and next door. We ended up with a pile of leaves under our living room window which has never happened in the 11 years we've been in this house.

Went out for a walk yesterday and never quite appreciated just how many trees have been annihilated up this way.

This is the current state of the tarmac track that I regularly use (looking along the 'track').  Everything along one side of the forest has been flattened as if there was a nuclear blast:

PXL_20211202_141717602.thumb.jpg.51dcdcb311bcd371e067b9f62bd7e020.jpg

8 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Went out for a walk yesterday and never quite appreciated just how many trees have been annihilated up this way.

This is the current state of the tarmac track that I regularly use (looking along the 'track').  Everything along one side of the forest has been flattened as if there was a nuclear blast:

Aye it's like that all over eastern Berwickshire:

DSCF0061.thumb.JPG.d83f76cb0ddafde74bd795a80f048760.JPG

DSCF0059.thumb.JPG.2a5a028b3cc286fba778dff1c8ec6524.JPG

DSCF0045.thumb.JPG.eafd6457907d35729d06bcf2d5ec76aa.JPG

b25lY21zOjRjZWRjZGM4LTYwOTItNDIxZC05ZDM1

Side roads still being reopened and power reconnected today. Must be 10s of thousands of trees down. It'll take years to clear, if they ever are.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Side roads still being reopened and power reconnected today. Must be 10s of thousands of trees down. It'll take years to clear, if they ever are.

Can you deliver to Fife.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That is some devastation!

We stayed on a farm near Berwick on holiday in the summer. There was an ancient wood at the top of the hill nearby, I daren't imagine what's become of it :(

On 05/12/2021 at 02:15, Lurkst said:

That is some devastation!

We stayed on a farm near Berwick on holiday in the summer. There was an ancient wood at the top of the hill nearby, I daren't imagine what's become of it :(

I was up at Cranshaws in the Lammermuir hills yesterday. There was a chap whose family owned the Abbey St Bathans estate and he still has old records going way back. He think it's the worst damage to the forestry in a century and it'll take 10yrs to clear-up.

Reporting Scotland was at Haddo House in Aberdeenshire just now. They estimate 100,000 trees down on their (admittedly large) estate; it'll take 5-10yrs to clear-up; and a lifetime to recover.

Damage up there:

51311121-10272379-A_destroyed_forest_aft

51311119-10272379-Drone_photos_from_the_

W3I12KT2HSQH8CPOBTUZ.jpg

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was up at Cranshaws in the Lammermuir hills yesterday. There was a chap whose family owned the Abbey St Bathans estate and he still has old records going way back. He think it's the worst damage to the forestry in a century and it'll take 10yrs to clear-up.

Reporting Scotland was at Haddo House in Aberdeenshire just now. They estimate 100,000 trees down on their (admittedly large) estate; it'll take 5-10yrs to clear-up; and a lifetime to recover.

Damage up there:

51311121-10272379-A_destroyed_forest_aft

51311119-10272379-Drone_photos_from_the_

W3I12KT2HSQH8CPOBTUZ.jpg

I wouldn't want lumbered with that.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just the trees in the middle bit gone? Doesn’t look right. Somebody should call in special branch to investigate.

I'm sure they'll eventually twig how it happened.