The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Dumfries is caked in snow. Social media awash with “oh my god, I can’t believe it’s snowing”. These idiots seem surprised it’s snowing in a country, where it literally snows every year from around this time onwards. 

Pttgoyn for this, but I recall a radio Scotland breakfast presenter saying "we're going to have professor someone or other from the met office to tell us why it's been so wintry of late". It was January. 

2 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Dumfries is caked in snow. Social media awash with “oh my god, I can’t believe it’s snowing”. These idiots seem surprised it’s snowing in a country, where it literally snows every year from around this time onwards. 

I suppose it’s been a fairly mild winter so far and this adverse weather has come out of the blue. 

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Over 48hrs without power at home now - spent Sunday in the office as it was a better alternative to sitting burning logs all day.

Was at ma grans bit Friday to Sunday. Power went off 2 hours after I arrived and when I left at 11 this morning it was still off. Thank f**k they had a gas fire and hob. 

On 26/11/2021 at 17:59, HibeeJibee said:

Is this a true rare superstorm or has last 18 month reset everybody's "intervention threshold"?

Well must say damage to trees in eastern Berwickshire is startling - entire plantations flattened (in some parts all torn off halfway up leaving a forest of jagged spikes), lines of old trees planted in Napoleonic times or earlier down like dominoes, stretches of main road still single-file where they've cut passes through mountains of lumber. Certainly worst for decades. Sad.

Near me:

FFTAQ0KXEAQiJuR?format=jpg&name=large

FFSyGj_XEAMcoBb?format=jpg&name=large

FFTAQ1BWYAI8A4p?format=jpg&name=large

FFSyGlDXEAYpbAZ?format=jpg&name=large

Somebody lost their head:

FFMP5WYWQAQQc7z?format=jpg&name=large

@heedthebaa's hoose:

FFOeC5bWUAgWMu3?format=jpg&name=small

10 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Well must say damage to trees in eastern Berwickshire is startling - entire plantations flattened (in some parts all torn off halfway up leaving a forest of jagged spikes), lines of old trees planted in Napoleonic times or earlier down like dominoes, stretches of main road still single-file where they've cut passes through mountains of lumber. Certainly worst for decades. Sad.

I'm guessing that's because the ancient trees are left standing on their own under some protection order instead of surrounded by thousands of others to share out the battering from the wind, like many years ago?

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Near me:

FFTAQ0KXEAQiJuR?format=jpg&name=large

FFSyGj_XEAMcoBb?format=jpg&name=large

FFTAQ1BWYAI8A4p?format=jpg&name=large

FFSyGlDXEAYpbAZ?format=jpg&name=large

Somebody lost their head:

FFMP5WYWQAQQc7z?format=jpg&name=large

@heedthebaa's hoose:

FFOeC5bWUAgWMu3?format=jpg&name=small

Never witnessed wind like it, but think I got off light. One summerhouse into next doors garden, another with no roof and 8 tiles off. EUFC got it bad anaw

Shame to see the big hoose (Gunsgreen?) in Eyemouth with the tiles aff. Hopefully it'll get repaired before too long.

Eyemouth suffered 140 years ago when a windstorm on "Black Friday" in October 1881 wiped out their fishing fleet. There was a plan to expand the harbour but the money went to the North East instead otherwise Eyemouth United might have played in the Scottish League rather than Berwick or Peterhead.

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm guessing that's because the ancient trees are left standing on their own under some protection order instead of surrounded by thousands of others to share out the battering from the wind, like many years ago?

I'm no naturalist so wouldn't know.

What makes it so stark is it's not localised, it's over the whole landscape - 'skittled trees' wherever you look. Not just old deciduous monsters either. Even passed 2 areas of modern evergreen timber woods - near Grantshouse and on Greenlaw moor (part of which my grandfather planted decades ago) - huge lengths of which look like scenes from an atom bomb test or the Tunguska event.

EDIT: it must have been exceptionally strong for a while up on the moor as there was a stretch where several roadsigns were all bent the same way from the force of the wind.

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm no naturalist so wouldn't know.

What makes it so stark is it's not localised, it's over the whole landscape. Not just old deciduous monsters either: passed 2 areas of modern evergreen timber woods - near Grantshouse and on Greenlaw moor (part of which my grandfather planted decades ago) - huge lengths of which look like scenes from an atom bomb test or the Tunguska event.

I'm not either, just thinking that a big mix of young and old trees, some more supple and others with deeper roots, would give more protection than pine factories and isolated copses of old trees. Sounds horrendous though, think the worst that happened in Inverness was the odd bin blowing over.

8 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Shame to see the big hoose (Gunsgreen?) in Eyemouth with the tiles aff. Hopefully it'll get repaired before too long.

Eyemouth suffered 140 years ago when a windstorm on "Black Friday" in October 1881 wiped out their fishing fleet. There was a plan to expand the harbour but the money went to the North East instead otherwise Eyemouth United might have played in the Scottish League rather than Berwick or Peterhead.

Aye there’s been tears over the Big hoose ffs, I’m more devastated over the Taverns roof blawn aff, there was a EUFC race night on Saturday night cancelled 

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not either, just thinking that a big mix of young and old trees, some more supple and others with deeper roots, would give more protection than pine factories and isolated copses of old trees. Sounds horrendous though, think the worst that happened in Inverness was the odd bin blowing over.

In terms of damage it's certainly worse here than January 1987 ("the Michael Fish storm").

Local opinion seems to think it may be the worst since January 1968 ("the Glasgow storm"), but for example my father insists there are far more trees down this time.

If so you'd potentially have to return to October 1881 in these parts, which was in a league-of-its-own and would certainly eclipse it.

Just now, heedthebaa said:

Aye there’s been tears over the Big hoose ffs, I’m more devastated over the Taverns roof blawn aff, there was a EUFC race night on Saturday night cancelled 

How can you be devastated Heed mate, you avoided getting a round in... :lol: :cheers