The Storms & Severe Weather Thread

CityDave

• 8 months later...

https://barrie.ctvnews.ca/catastrophic-tornado-in-barrie-ont-injures-eight-people-damages-multiple-homes-1.5510218

First time since 1985 a Tornado touched down in Barrie, an hour north of Toronto. Tornados aren't that uncommon during Ontario summers but they usually aren't as bad as yesterday. Fingers crossed it brings down the price of renting/buying and we can finally move to the area! 

Water/flooding is definitely the scariest of all the severe weather in my book, the sheer destuctive force and rapidness that  it can literally just sweep entire cities away is terrifying.

Always been pretty thankful that I stay on top of a hill so have never been a flood risk.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Water/flooding is definitely the scariest of all the severe weather in my book, the sheer destuctive force and rapidness that  it can literally just sweep entire cities away is terrifying.

Flash floods are pretty fascinating, best appreciated when you live thousands of miles away from them.

edit: 'cool' wasn't really the appropriate word in light of recent events.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Always been pretty thankful that I stay on top of a hill so have never been a flood risk.

^^^Peppa Pig^^^

The other day I saw some pictures from the Ahr valley, less than an hour's drive from me where me and Mrs Boz love to go to for weekends. Our favourite village there is Mayschoss and it's literally cut off from everywhere due to the flooding.  image.png.66dea3b29037fa1419f77094505483ef.png

The area was struggling due to almost no tourism during COVID but  the whole wine region is now utterly devastated. There's a camp site that we stay at often that is only reachable via a forest path now. There's apparently a bus going from Cologne at the weekend for people to go offer help somewhere in the area, so tomorrow I'll be purchasing some wellies and head down there on Sunday.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Slight drizzle here on the costa del eh? Dog wasn’t impressed when out for his walk.

Meanwhile god appears to be trying to wash Kincardine away.

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Torrential in Dundee right now. Forecast for 50mm between 12 and 1 which is half the monthly rainfall. Luckily we sensibly built the city on hills. A bit like  Rome 

Except we don’t bribe referees.

Spoiler

Mind you the season hasn’t started yet.