South Challenge Cup - 2014-15

HibeeJibee

Bump.

Next weekend sees the biggest round of the competition, with 32 clubs in action in a full set of Second Round ties. Two of them are all-LL, and in all the rest the bookmakers will surely make the Lowland teams out as favourites. But this is cup football and, as with Gala in R1, who knows what will happen.

Here's my take on the ties.

In the South-West zone:

Dalbeattie Star and Threave Rovers face-off in a Stewartry derby. Star no doubt favourites given their higher league position and home advantage.

Gretna 2008 will be forecast for a cricket score at home v Dumfries YMCA, who've lost every game of the season, scoring 19 and conceding 129.

BSC Glasgow face an interesting challenge at home to an improved Abbey Vale who sit 5th in SOS League.

East Kilbride are in a similar position at home to 4th-placed Heston Rovers.

In the North-East zone:

Spartans will be strong favourites to beat Peebles Rovers, but the EOS First Division leaders and Alex Jack Cup finalists will be looking for an upset.

Selkirk and University of Stirling meet again, after yesterday's equivalent league fixture finished 2-1.

Edinburgh City travel away to EOS Premier Division holders LTHV, who this season are currently running 4th.

Whitehill Welfare make the short trip to Ormiston, whom they edged 3-2 at home earlier in the season in the EOS Qualifying Cup.

And finally Vale of Leithen will be looking to dispatch an Eyemouth United team toiling towards the bottom of the EOS First Division.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This highlights the advantage of being in the south west section- there are very few teams of any note in it. And they have to play less games to reach the all in round.

I understand the original reasoning- but that was at a time when the SoS was a bit stronger than now.

Time for an all in draw from round one- surely no one wants to play the same teams over again in four or so cups in each section.

This highlights the advantage of being in the south west section- there are very few teams of any note in it. And they have to play less games to reach the all in round.

They don't - 3 rounds in both sections, with 20 clubs in SW and 24 in NE.

Admittedly 5 LL clubs in SW, 9 in NE.

I understand the original reasoning- but that was at a time when the SoS was a bit stronger than now.

Time for an all in draw from round one- surely no one wants to play the same teams over again in four or so cups in each section.

Doubt that will happen without a substantial sponsor - SOSL clubs in particular won't risk multiple away draws to the Edinburgh area?

Personally I'd prefer it all-in from Last 16, but even that would double the burden from 7 to 15 all-in ties.

Yesterday's results:

South & West Zone, Second Round

Dalbeattie Star 4-4 Threave Rovers (aet, 4-4 FT, 4-2p)

Newton Stewart 2-0 Mid Annandale

Gretna 2008 (eleven) 11-0 Dumfries YMCA

Edusport Academy 3-1 Glasgow University

East Kilbride 5-0 Heston Rovers

St Cuthbert Wanderers 0-4 Wigtown & Bladnoch

North & East Zone, Second Round

Coldstream 2-3 Civil Service Strollers

Spartans 4-2 Peebles Rovers (aet, 2-2 FT)

Lothian Thistle HV 0-1 Edinburgh City

Vale of Leithen 5-1 Eyemouth United

Tynecastle 4-0 Duns

Saturday's fixtures:

South & West Zone, Second Round

BSC Glasgow v Abbey Vale

Upper Annandale v Creetown

North & East Zone, Second Round

Hawick Royal Albert v Heriot-Watt University

Selkirk v University of Stirling

Ormiston v Whitehill Welfare

That means the Third Round, the last played on a zonal basis before it turns 'all-in', comprises the following clubs:

South & West Zone

(LL) Dalbeattie, East Kilbride, Gretna

(SOSL) Edusport Academy, Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Upper Annandale/Creetown

(tbc) BSCG/Abbey Vale

North & East Zone

(LL) Edinburgh City, Spartans, Vale of Leithen, Selkirk/Stirling

(EOSL) Civil Service Strollers, Tynecastle, Hawick/Heriot-Watt

(tbc) Ormiston/Whitehill

Today's results:

North East Zone

Hawick Royal Albert 0-4 Heriot-Watt University

South West Zone

Abbey Vale 1-3 BSC Glasgow

Upper Annandale 1-0 Creetown

Saturday's fixtures. (Well, rain/snow/frost/fog/wind permitting...).

North East Zone

Selkirk v University of Stirling

Ormiston v Whitehill

Today's results: North East ZoneHawick Royal Albert 0-4 Heriot-Watt University South West ZoneAbbey Vale 1-3 BSC GlasgowUpper Annandale 1-0 Creetown Saturday's fixtures. (Well, rain/snow/frost/fog/wind permitting...). North East ZoneSelkirk v University of StirlingOrmiston v Whitehill

so the biggest NON league competition awaits 2 games from the east yet the south know the script ?

WW now hold back a fixture list on completion of a tie that could well take weeks to complete.

Still say if MOST prestigious cup at non league level get us ALL in from start ! ;)

Does anyone know when the draw for the next round is?

Not sure Patches but when ye still avoiding the likes of ww (nae disrespect to ormiston) City, Spartans or Stirling uni/Selkirk nae wonder ye canny wait for draw ??

P.s take note this is before the sour grapes o potentially being "crushed" oot competition :P

It wouldn't particularly bother me. It really does seem to annoy you. However if your rightful place is at least a top three finish is every year, it shouldn't worry you about getting to the quarter finals when it is all in.

I am sure your treasurer won't thank you if you are drawn against a Wigtonshire team if you ever do get your wish.

It wouldn't particularly bother me. It really does seem to annoy you. However if your rightful place is at least a top three finish is every year, it shouldn't worry you about getting to the quarter finals when it is all in.

I am sure your treasurer won't thank you if you are drawn against a Wigtonshire team if you ever do get your wish.

I take it ye replying to my posts cic.

A lot of things in life annoy me, one is the way my club is going when theres a lot more money to be made locally (just my opinion by way).

I canny see where ive quoted a rightful place in the top 3 for ww.

The South Cup is theee biggest cup (apart from the big Scottish) yet its regionalised till 4 from south east and (north west) meet in an ALL in last 8.

As i see it if ye canny play ALL in from start don't enter the competition ?

There's an amateur Sunday team from Rosewell recently played a Scottish cup tie in Aberdeen by the way ?

A lot of things in life annoy me, one is the way my club is going when theres a lot more money to be made locally (just my opinion by way).

The South Cup is theee biggest cup (apart from the big Scottish) yet its regionalised till 4 from south east and (north west) meet in an ALL in last 8.

There's an amateur Sunday team from Rosewell recently played a Scottish cup tie in Aberdeen by the way ?

He's getting confused newky. I commented on Lawson never finishing lower than third and probably not keen to start now. In his chip on the shoulder anger he's thrown you in with it!

He's getting confused newky. I commented on Lawson never finishing lower than third and probably not keen to start now. In his chip on the shoulder anger he's thrown you in with it!

Even at that Surely Not the league is that tight I think we (again personal opinion) will finish top 6.

1) Can we actually win the league ?

2) Could we ever sustain a challenge in the bottom tier of the spfl with the home crowds we get should we win a play off ?

3) Can we afford to use a bus every other week when (as cic says treasurer not happy) with a South cup draw ?

4) Upgrade facilities at (Ferguson Park) who by my reckoning we are the ONLY team in the LL to OWN their ground.

There s 4 (I think) NO s to start with ?

Obviously wrong thread but just being a realist. :o

Even at that Surely Not the league is that tight I think we (again personal opinion) will finish top 6.1) Can we actually win the league ?2) Could we ever sustain a challenge in the bottom tier of the spfl with the home crowds we get should we win a play off ? 3) Can we afford to use a bus every other week when (as cic says treasurer not happy) with a South cup draw ? 4) Upgrade facilities at (Ferguson Park) who by my reckoning we are the ONLY team in the LL to OWN their ground. There s 4 (I think) NO s to start with ? Obviously wrong thread but just being a realist. :o

Selkirk?? Threave?? Dalbeattie??

Not just you Newky. Everyone who replied on this open forum

So you would like Whitehill to go back to the Welfare leagues or a move to the juniors?

That bit was a dig at someone who never comments on a game that he has been to and does not admit to following any particular team. I think he is Lurker in disguise.

At the beginning of your post, you were saying that there was more money to be made locally now you are wanting the cup competition to be played nationally from the start. A bit inconsistent here Newky.

Archived