Clueless Jim v Clueless Jim

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The challenge by the 'keeper looked fair enough to me. If anything had McManus went down under the first challenge from the defender he'd have had a decent shout. Too honest.

I felt a draw would've been fair in the end, tbh, but credit to Morton they took advantage of our slackness after we made it 1-0 and cashed in by getting the equaliser and swinging the momentum into their favour. I knew Barrowman and McManus would be a handful before the match and they didn't disappoint. They compliment each other and have a good understanding - keep those two fit for the majority of the season and you'll score plenty goals.

We started off the better. Could've, and probably should've, been ahead at the break with Morton rarely troubling Scully. Only shot which Scully had to save in the first half that I can remember was Mark Russell with a long range effort on Morton's left. Barrowman did have a great chance too but missed it when it looked easier to score.

When we got the opener I thought we'd go on and get a second as Morton pushed for an equaliser. I thought we'd see Stirling come on to give us some fresh legs and some more direct play into the space left by Morton as the pushed higher up. We didn't, and Morton benefited. For some reason we sat back, and that's the most frustrating thing for me. O'Ware got the equaliser and I was once again impressed with him, as I was at Morton earlier in the season. Another who I thought had a good game was Joe McKee.

In terms of the penalty shout, it looked as if Scully got the ball cleanly and for me it wasn't a penalty and the correct decision by the officials.

For me, overriding feeling is of annoyance as I felt up until the 1-0 we were fairly comfortable, but as I said, credit to Morton for taking advantage of our slackness. Both teams will be up there at the end of the season, alongside Forfar, imo. A long way to go, 25 games, 75 points still up for grabs. I'm not overly concerned just yet. I still think we can win the league but Morton and Forfar will push us hard.

The challenge by the 'keeper looked fair enough to me. If anything had McManus went down under the first challenge from the defender he'd have had a decent shout. Too honest.

I'm normally fine with that if I think the player has really lost out and the ref should have given it, but he simply could have done better after that I thought.

If we're looking for dodgy calls from Saturday's game btw then we need look no further than the comedian who claimed 3342 people attended that match.

I too find it hilarious how we can double the crowds Morton get despite having a totally pish team.

I too find it hilarious how we can double the crowds Morton get despite having a totally pish team.

That'd be fairly easy to achieve if you borrow the Seville calculator to provide your figures. It seems that Dunfermline used the same calculator for their finances though, which has left you utterly fucked for the foreseeable future.

Marvellous.

If we're looking for dodgy calls from Saturday's game btw then we need look no further than the comedian who claimed 3342 people attended that match.

How many would you say was in attendance?

Surely to keep in line with our cheating reputation, we would have claimed a much lower attendance?

How many would you say was in attendance?

Surely to keep in line with our cheating reputation, we would have claimed a much lower attendance?

I would have said about 2700.

And, in response to the "cheating" reputation, I'd argue that it seems to be the done thing to talk up a club's league crowds- Celtic, Inverness, Ross County and Falkirk have IMHO been guilty of this in recent years, the latter three from having been at games when I've looked round the ground and thought the crowd was overstated. It's easy enough to just say to the tax man that XYZ free tickets were given out to schools for nothing, whilst telling potential sponsors, "Look at us, we've pulled in 3300 for a League One game". There would be no sense in talking down crowds when you have to see pitchside advertising etc.

Of course, this policy changes in the event of cup ties in which the gate money has to be shared with away teams. Certainly these games are often less well supported in many cases as season ticket holders don't get the use of their season tickets, but there have been times I've seen official crowds around the 2000 mark for Ross County v Morton in the league and 500 for the same fixture in the Challenge Cup. Merely looking round Victoria Park at such games is enough to tell you that clubs will often make up crowds to suit themselves.

Why on earth would Celtic announce 45,000 crowds when we all know that they're talking absolute nonsense?

I would have said about 2700.

And, in response to the "cheating" reputation, I'd argue that it seems to be the done thing to talk up a club's league crowds- Celtic, Inverness, Ross County and Falkirk have IMHO been guilty of this in recent years, the latter three from having been at games when I've looked round the ground and thought the crowd was overstated. It's easy enough to just say to the tax man that XYZ free tickets were given out to schools for nothing, whilst telling potential sponsors, "Look at us, we've pulled in 3300 for a League One game". There would be no sense in talking down crowds when you have to see pitchside advertising etc.

Of course, this policy changes in the event of cup ties in which the gate money has to be shared with away teams. Certainly these games are often less well supported in many cases as season ticket holders don't get the use of their season tickets, but there have been times I've seen official crowds around the 2000 mark for Ross County v Morton in the league and 500 for the same fixture in the Challenge Cup. Merely looking round Victoria Park at such games is enough to tell you that clubs will often make up crowds to suit themselves.

Why on earth would Celtic announce 45,000 crowds when we all know that they're talking absolute nonsense?

Thanks for the reply. I guess in some cases you're correct in what you're saying. I would say that the crowd quoted was correct though. It did seem more busy than our average crowd. The south east stand was open and it had lots of kids in there - I'd presume that's what put the figure up.

As for celtic with their claims. . .Is it not the case that they include season tickets whether they're there or not?

The hospitality was sold out on Saturday - no arguments about any dodgy headcounts there.

From an article in The Courier last week...

I have spoken at length with Dunfermline chairman Bob Garmory in the past week, and it was heartening to see the passion and enthusiasm he has to take the Pars forward. He was perhaps an unwitting volunteer when Pars United were tasked with saving the club, and he still is in some respects, yet he and others have given up substantial amounts of time and effort to help bring success back to East End Park.

Having said that, he drummed home the fact that the football team is almost secondary these days. It is the football club that makes the money: the pre- and post-match pints in Legends bar, the advertising, the sponsorship, the programme sales, the community groups who use the facilities during the week.

The footballing side being almost secondary is pertinent point. Tricky balancing act for the directors - do they almost turn a blind eye to the footballing side and hope it takes care of itself with JJ in charge or do they look at the quality of the first team being the thing that drives folk to want to come along in the first place? Answers on a postcard..

Archived