Be Afraid

Mine Man

First time poster folks- I went along to the Glasgow Perthshire v Rutherglen Glencairn cup game today and witnessed the worst performance from a ref that I have had the misfortune to see. If your team has this ref in the future then be afraid and be prepared for the most ridiculous decisions you will ever see. This person was an embarrassment to his fellow refs and should not be allowed near the junior game. I am sure we have all seen bad performances from refs but this can not be described. All 4 goals for Perthshire were provided by this ref.

First time poster folks- I went along to the Glasgow Perthshire v Rutherglen Glencairn cup game today and witnessed the worst performance from a ref that I have had the misfortune to see. If your team has this ref in the future then be afraid and be prepared for the most ridiculous decisions you will ever see. This person was an embarrassment to his fellow refs and should not be allowed near the junior game. I am sure we have all seen bad performances from refs but this can not be described. All 4 goals for Perthshire were provided by this ref.

Did you "go along" because you were playing for Rutherglen by any chance?

My match report will tell the story from a Glencairn viewpoint. But to summarise, all four of Perthshire's goals were controversial.

It would be interesting to know if Mine Man was at the game as a neutral, as the majority of Perthshire fans I spoke to, and some Perthshire officials, also thought that the referee had a howler in their favour.

Who was the ref in question?

My match report will tell the story from a Glencairn viewpoint. But to summarise, all four of Perthshire's goals were controversial.

It would be interesting to know if Mine Man was at the game as a neutral, as the majority of Perthshire fans I spoke to, and some Perthshire officials, also thought that the referee had a howler in their favour.

2nd goal was controversial cause ball was clearly not over the line the 1st penalty was a stonewaller as glens defender clearly pushes shire player when he is just about head towards goal 2nd penalty is a hard 1 to call from were I was standing but the defender seem to stick out a leg and 4th goal looked onside with the ball being cut back past the keeper for shire striker to score will be interesting to see the decisions on the highlights also glens 2nd goal came from a soft free kick when messi seem to just go down without getting touched Glencairn were better team 1st half but 2nd half shire played really well and deserved the victory but it's a game of opinions

I'm told the video says offside for the 4th goal. The 2nd goal was just a diabolical decision, there is no way that the referee could say for certain that the whole ball had crossed the line from where he was, so he can't give the goal. The Perthshire fans were saying the ball didn't even land on the line never mind cross it.

The 3rd goal (2nd penalty) was an atrocious decision, Andy Neil actually pulls out of the way of a tackle, but he ends up with a 2nd yellow card and a red for a foul which didn't happen. It was right in front of me and I actually laughed when the player went down, then my amusement turned to disbelief at the referee's decision.

The 1st 'Shire goal was too far away from me to judge if it was a penalty or not, so it probably was.

I'm told the video says offside for the 4th goal. The 2nd goal was just a diabolical decision, there is no way that the referee could say for certain that the whole ball had crossed the line from where he was, so he can't give the goal. The Perthshire fans were saying the ball didn't even land on the line never mind cross it.

The 3rd goal (2nd penalty) was an atrocious decision, Andy Neil actually pulls out of the way of a tackle, but he ends up with a 2nd yellow card and a red for a foul which didn't happen. It was right in front of me and I actually laughed when the player went down, then my amusement turned to disbelief at the referee's decision.

The 1st 'Shire goal was too far away from me to judge if it was a penalty or not, so it probably was.

All teams have been on the receiving end of good and bad decisions and this is part and parcel of the game. But this referees performance was so poor that it will cost teams dearly in the whole. He should not be allowed to perform at this level. I didn't get a good look at the first incident and will except the possibility it was a penalty, but the other three decisions were embarrassing. Be afraid if he is appointed to your fixture.

The group of 9 or 10 'Shire fans who were standing at the corner flag in the second half were hooting with laughter when the 2nd penalty and red card was awarded. They had just seen their side get a goal that hadn't crossed the line, then they got another gift from the ref.

They were good fun, to be fair, one of them gave me a sympathetic handshake near the end, saying "the referees are murder son, I know, but we've had our fair share of them."

The group of 9 or 10 'Shire fans who were standing at the corner flag in the second half were hooting with laughter when the 2nd penalty and red card was awarded. They had just seen their side get a goal that hadn't crossed the line, then they got another gift from the ref.

They were good fun, to be fair, one of them gave me a sympathetic handshake near the end, saying "the referees are murder son, I know, but we've had our fair share of them."

Son? :o I hope you clapped his guide dug on the way oot,glens. :huh:

Totally agree with a thread being started about that referee today. Was unbelievable to watch an official make so many bad decisions. I can't comment on the first penalty as I didn't have the best view but the decisions for the other 3 goals were shocking. There was also at least 3 clear hand ball incidents which he witnessed and totally blanked. In the second half perthshires number 11 fouled Jordan Dalziel for which he received a yellow, then right after the play was resumed he took out Del Esplin as he was running with the ball and didn't get a card. 2 Perthshire fans beside me were also saying how embarrassing he was. Really do hope he doesn't ruin anymore games like the one he ruined today. But now that my rant is done all I can say is best of luck to Glasgow Perthshire for the rest of the campaign.

Pictures and a full match report (from the Glencairn website) are here.

Gerry's highlights are on the highlights thread.

Can I just say a big thank you to Gerry for getting the highlights up so quickly, as I know he was out tonight with family and then jetting off on holiday tomorrow morning. He does a great job every week with his highlights and deserves the wee break he is now about to have.

Can I just say I wasn't at this game and am commenting purely based on highlights video.

1st penalty I think looks fairly straight forward, big defender gets a shove in the back as he's about to stick the head on it.

2nd goal, ball over the line or not - it's impossible to tell from the video but the one thing the ref has in his favour is that he's on the goal line almost immediately afterwards so is in a decent position to call it.

3rd goal/2nd penalty, it's a strange one I think, the number 3? Who was penalised appears to lazily dangle a leg out backwards to almost block the Perthshire player after the other glens defender had taken the ball away. Hard to tell if there's contact from the video but really careless/naive of the glens player to do that when his teammate already had it covered.

4th goal, ball definitely seems to travel forward so the possibility of offside is there and the glens defender appears to be more or less alongside the Perthshire player making the assist so that would suggest offside, but looks quite a tight call with not much in it.

Handball incident:- there's no doubt it's a handball but that's not enough these days for it to be considered a foul. Buzzwords at the moment are intent and unnatural position etc, don't think you could say the Perthshire boy tried that and his arms are where you would expect, but just looking at it, looks unbelievable something like that isn't penalised. Whether that's the fault of the ref or the rule book I don't know.

Can I just say I wasn't at this game and am commenting purely based on highlights video.

1st penalty I think looks fairly straight forward, big defender gets a shove in the back as he's about to stick the head on it.

2nd goal, ball over the line or not - it's impossible to tell from the video but the one thing the ref has in his favour is that he's on the goal line almost immediately afterwards so is in a decent position to call it.

3rd goal/2nd penalty, it's a strange one I think, the number 3? Who was penalised appears to lazily dangle a leg out backwards to almost block the Perthshire player after the other glens defender had taken the ball away. Hard to tell if there's contact from the video but really careless/naive of the glens player to do that when his teammate already had it covered.

4th goal, ball definitely seems to travel forward so the possibility of offside is there and the glens defender appears to be more or less alongside the Perthshire player making the assist so that would suggest offside, but looks quite a tight call with not much in it.

Handball incident:- there's no doubt it's a handball but that's not enough these days for it to be considered a foul. Buzzwords at the moment are intent and unnatural position etc, don't think you could say the Perthshire boy tried that and his arms are where you would expect, but just looking at it, looks unbelievable something like that isn't penalised. Whether that's the fault of the ref or the rule book I don't know.

1st goal is a penalty.

2nd goal, the referee couldn't possibly say for absolute certainty from where he was standing that the whole ball had crossed the line. The video shows him about 15 yards behind the player who is shooting and then sprinting into position on the line after the ball has bounced back out, so he wasn't on the line and to be fair he shouldn't be expected to be there, that's a linesman's job. However, if you can't honestly say for absolute certain that the ball was over the line, then you can't give the goal. Nobody standing at that end of the ground (including every single Perthshire fan I spoke to, and one of the Perthshire coaching staff) thought it was a goal, so how can the referee honestly give that decision ? Look at the reaction of the Perthshire bench in the video, hardly any of them even put their arms even halfway up to claim for a goal, and when it's given there is a sheepish reaction from them.

3rd goal (2nd penalty), I saw it from the exact opposite side of the pitch from the video, and I was right in line with it. There was no foul, and the Perthshire fans at the corner flag were all hooting with laughter at the decision.

4th goal is offside, very clear.

Having assistant refs would have helped yesterday for your game. It's too hard for a ref to call offside and whether ball is over the line without help from his assistants. I am guessing not enough assistants to go round yesterday.

Archived