Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

16th Aug 1995

Scotland 1 - 0 Greece

McCoist had been out long term with a leg break, but he came on after 70 odd minutes in this game. He scored with one of his first touches and we won 1-0.

Practically sealed our qualification for Euro 96 if I recall correctly.

This was my first Scotland game too.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to see us play Bulgaria pre 1978 World Cup. Pay at the gate and the SFA totally underestimated the crowd size. We ended up getting in 1/2 hour after kick off with us winning 2-1. Iain Wallace scored one I think.

That was actually my first Scotland game............I was only 10 at the time and the crowd outside was pushing and shoving causing quite a lot of crushing. Some big guy lifted me up and passed me over heads to get to the safety at the front of the queue, next thing he did the same with my Dad.

Gemmill penalty and an Iain Wallace finish after a brilliant Graeme Souness run through the middle, brilliant atmosphere and that was me hooked on Scotland games forever!!

Scotland v Wales 1985, Ian Rush scored the only goal as we got beat 1-0 in the World Cup '86 qualifier.

Was at this game too.

I was absolutely gutted. The younger poster will struggle to comprehend but back then Scotland simply did not lose at Hampden, at least in World Cup matches. You didn't even entertain the thought that we might lose and this game was a huge shock to the system.

The previous home WCQ defeat to this was, if I remember correctly, versus Poland back in 1964.

Scotland 1 Bulgaria 1

Euro qualifier, they equalised with about the last kick of the game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30BHUh5-W4

Most memorable part of the night was my mates driving, included going at well over 100 to catch back up with a big fancy motor which contained Alex MacLeish and some other football celebs, to drive alongside them for a while in my mates battered old car. Then the highlight later on, him chatting away not noticing the old roundabout on the A9 was approaching.. Nobody likes to be a backseat driver so I didn't mention it at the first two signs, thinking he must have seen it. He hadn't. The collective scream of the whole car at the 200m to go sign finally got his attention.. Ended up doing a few 360,s as he slammed the brakes on and lost control, and came to a stop just about touching the inside kerb of the roundabout facing the wrong way. Lucky it was 11 at night and nothing else was coming.. Never trust an Arab.

Started taking the train for a while after that one.

John Collins scored for us.

Scotland 1 Bulgaria 1

Euro qualifier, they equalised with about the last kick of the game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30BHUh5-W4

Most memorable part of the night was my mates driving, included going at well over 100 to catch back up with a big fancy motor which contained Alex MacLeish and some other football celebs, to drive alongside them for a while in my mates battered old car. Then the highlight later on, him chatting away not noticing the old roundabout on the A9 was approaching.. Nobody likes to be a backseat driver so I didn't mention it at the first two signs, thinking he must have seen it. He hadn't. The collective scream of the whole car at the 200m to go sign finally got his attention.. Ended up doing a few 360,s as he slammed the brakes on and lost control, and came to a stop just about touching the inside kerb of the roundabout facing the wrong way. Lucky it was 11 at night and nothing else was coming.. Never trust an Arab.

Started taking the train for a while after that one.

John Collins scored for us.

Think I just browned my skants reading that :o

Mine was a 1-0 win against Sweden at Ibrox in 1996.

John McGinley scored the goal. There was a cracker of a dummy by someone that led to the goal but can't remember who it was.

This was mine too.

We beat Latvia 1-0(I think) Kevin Gallacher scoring which meant we qualified for France 98.

My first one was Latvia at Celtic Park in 1997. I think it was 2-0, both goals headers after rebounds, Gallacher and Durie. Celtic Park was still under construction.

My first home game was W/C play-off 1985 Scotland 2 (Cooper and McAvennie) Australia 0

That was mine as well. I was 9 years old at the time.

I can't really remember much about it apart from travelling down on a Robb's of Brechin "Eurocoach" that made several stops to pick people up in Montrose, Arbroath and Dundee. We got to the ground early and there was a guy walking around the largely empty terraces shouting "Macaroon Bars" at the top of his voice

The terraces soon filled up and I was too small to see the game so sat on the crush barriers behind a group of lads who sang "Irvine boys we are here, shag your wimmin and drink your beer" constantly throughout the game.

About 20 years ago at Varsity Stadium in Toronto before all the Braveheart TA footsoldier pish set in. Think we won but it's been a while so memories of it are a bit vague. The crowd was 90% ex-pats who like me probably would not have made the effort to go to a similar game at Hampden if they were living in Scotland.

Archived