Your First Scotland Game

Mr Gandosaur

Been trying hard to remember my first games and it was around 1975 against Northern Ireland in the Home Internationals, don't remember result but kept going to all home games and went to Wembley over next 3 visits. been back and forward since then but now feel there is a real team spirit among this squad. Roll on 14th and the Irish at Parkhead.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland 1 - 0 France

Doubt anyone needs reminding of this one. Had joined the ssc about 10 months previous having sent my form away but forgot to include the £15 (yes, that was all) cheque. They let me in anyway and basically every match after that was such a disappointment after such a great start!

my first game was in February 2003 when we played Ireland at Hampden we lost 2-0 and remember us being utter gash that night. The other time I went to see Scotland was against Sweden at Easter Road in 2004 when we got pummelled 4-1 the highlight being James McFadden's penalty right at the end as me and my mates were behind the goal and watched the news the following night to see if we were on it :lol:

Scotland v Latvia 1997 celtic park,our under 9s football team all went and would never have thought it was last time we would qualify for major tournament

Always remember rocking all over the world by status quo playing at full time and talking to rod Stewart cause we were aw wearing tartan tracksuit taps

Kenny Dalglish won his hundredth cap at my first game. Beat Romania 3-0. Still got my ticket, and my late fathers, pristine in the programme. Don't remember much about the game. I do, however , wake up screaming in the night over flashbacks from the toilets!!(condition of, not through anything dodgy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKNI6iDlMJs

My first match was Scotland v Austria in 1997. I remember nothing apart from Kevin Gallagher's strike to seal the win.

I think I vaguely recall soon after, the goal featuring in a coca cola advert. It was something about how scientists had discovered that the tartan army had actually sucked the ball into the net after it left Gallagher's boot.

I might have made all that up. Does anyone else remember that advert?

Scotland v Switzerland at Villa Park - Euro 96.

11 years old... Living in England I remember my Dad fetching me from primary school early after being offered tickets and belting in down the M6 for the game.

Ally McCoist scored a cracker to win the game... but in true Scotland style we still went out thanks to that poof with a ponytail David Seaman.

Scotland 1-0 Bosnia & Herzegovina, 05.10.1999 at Ibrox with a group from school. I was a fresh faced 14 year old at the time.

So all those bawbags in the media who said that the Georgia game was our first qualifier at Ibrox since Sweden in 96 were talking bollocks?? Imagine that..

Can't remember exactly but it would have been a Home Championship game v Wales or N. Ireland in the mid 70's.

Me too and I seem to recall an own goal being scored where the keeper had come out to the side of the goal and the defender, without looking passed it back into an empty net.

Also remember King Kenny's goal through the legs of Clements and Richard Gough's bullet heeder against that lot. :):thumsup2

First Scotland International

!962 Scotland 2-0 England - goals from Davy Wilson and Eric Caldow. The crowd was over 130,000! As a wee boy, I was spoilt in those days as, for the first few years of the 1960's Scotland were virtually unbeatable at Hampden.

The Scotland team of that era was the best I have ever seen. In 1961 they lost a play-off to Czechoslovakia 2-4 (a.e.t.) and the Czechs went on to reach the Final in '62 where they lost to a great Brazil side.

These may only be names nowadays but to me they were giants who would walk into the current team: Brown, Hamilton, Ure , Baxter, Law, St John, White, Gilzean etc, etc

Me too and I seem to recall an own goal being scored where the keeper had come out to the side of the goal and the defender, without looking passed it back into an empty net.

Also remember King Kenny's goal through the legs of Clements and Richard Gough's bullet heeder against that lot. :):thumsup2

Apologies for the reddie. Fat fingers on the Kindle as I went to quote. I'll square it up elsewhere.

As for your distant memory, was that the famous Willie Donachie own goal against Wales?

A bit of foreshadowing for the calamitous campaign in Argentina, where our very own Willie Harkness played a starring role.

Archived