BBC - Price of football 2014

~~~

Extract about Scotland. "In Scotland's Premiership the average price for the cheapest day out at Premiership matches, including a match-day ticket, pie, cup of tea and a programme, increased by just 61p to £26.95 from last season." Tea?????

I'm not sure how we get away with claiming our programme is 50p. That 50p gets you an A4 piece of paper with the teamlines. The programme is about £3.

I'm not sure how we get away with claiming our programme is 50p. That 50p gets you an A4 piece of paper with the teamlines. The programme is about £3.

The whole survey is basically a charade along these lines. It tells you absolutely nothing about the actual values for individual clubs.

It also doesn't include away games.

Sure, my season ticket cost me £240 but that doesn't reflect my true cost of supporting Dundee last season. I don't have an exact figure, for 18 games at £10 (bus) + ~£16 (admission) + ~£20 (food/drink) = £828 = >£1,000 overall.

Well the price for Livingston is way off the mark. I got charged £2.20 for a cup of tea last Sunday, which was the same price as a pie. You have to wonder at their mark ups. Since a cup of tea must cost around 10p maximum, you have to wonder about the quality of their pies.

Saints cheapest ticket said to be £22, can get an adult and two kids in for £15 though. Far too simplistic to do a study like this, basically tells you nothing.

Similar situation with our "cheapest" season ticket 295 rather than 250

Most expensive pie us £4.50. It might be award winning but unless it's the size of a dinner plate then there is no way it's worth that!

The famous Kidderminster cottage pie I believe, which I've seen a picture of, and it looks massive, and well worth the money as it's like a proper meal.

So, excluding the rangers, we have the -
Most expensive "cheapest season ticket" in Scotland.
6th highest priced "most expensive season ticket" in Scotland.
3rd (with 3 other clubs) highest priced "cheap match day ticket" in Scotland.
5th highest priced "most expensive match day ticket" in Scotland.
20th highest priced Programme in Scotland.
Most expensive (and *****-ist!) Pies in Scotland.
Most expensive Tea (joint with 4 other clubs) in Scotland
9th most expensive Home top in Scotland

We're certainly not value for money...

Arsenal seems incredibly expensive compared to the rest ! OK - None of them are cheap but some are cheaper than I thought... Man City for example

cheapest dearest

Man City

£299.00

£860.00

£37.00

£58.00

£45.80

£3.00

£4.00

£1.80

£55.00

I can't remember off the top of my head how much my Celtic season ticket is ( £450 ish ? ) which seems expensive by comparison considering the sh1te you have to sit through....

All this survey does is allow the English media and columnists to have a few days of taking the moral high ground with constant tweeting and complaining about the price of English Premiership football and how it "alienates the everyday supporter".

What usually follows is the prices themselves not changing in the slightest (despite the standard "Government say they are concerned about the price of football" type headlines) and within a week or so the very same columnists and very same media will go back to wanking themselves into a frenzy about the English Premiership and the standard 'best league in the world' nonsense.

I never really see what the point of this debate is. Clubs don't charge these prices just to annoy fans, they charge these prices so they can remain competitive on the field. Every single club will have worked out their pricing policy using evidence from past seasons to work out what is best for their club, both in the short and long term. Are there any practical suggestions to get all of British football to reduce it's prices? Because if not it's a nothing conversation.

I spend just under a grand in total, but that's only home games. Say I spend £100 on average when I go away and go to about six or seven aways a year I'm looking at closer to two grand.

I need a cheaper hobby.

How much does heroin cost these days?

They say never add it up or youd stop going I dread to think how much I spend. Having said that always try to keep the cost of travel down and sacrifice other things to do it.

The things that annoys me the most about this study is they don't state how many tickets are available at each different price category. It's all fine and well saying Man City start at £299 but how many are there at that price and how much are the other areas.

Read it a bit more in-depth last night, Arsenal's season books sound obscenely expensive, but it includes 26 games rather than the 19 for the other top tier clubs.

Are they banking on CL qualification as part of the season book, plus FA and League Cup ties?

Archived