Scotland v Republic of Ireland

Lyle Lanley

How many of our guys are via the grandparent route?

Fletcher, Morrison and both Russell and Chris Martin all have a parent who is Scottish. Think Gilks is grandparent but no sure of the other guy.

Johnny Russell was born in Glasgow!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to quite like George Galloway and a work colleague has told me in the past that he used to be a very good constituency MP in Hillhead back in the day, but I'm now beginning to seriously think he's losing the plot.

Twitter was good last night. He was being owned left right and centre by his presumed Celtic/Ireland supporting allies. :D

Edited by H Wragg

Fletcher, Morrison and both Russell and Chris Martin all have a parent who is Scottish. Think Gilks is grandparent but no sure of the other guy.

Callum Paterson is the other one. Born in London but grew up here. No idea where his parents are from.

Fletcher has 2 Scots parents born In Shrewsbury lived in Edinburgh all his life I think. Patterson 2 Scots parents born in London while on holiday. Russell/Chris Martin both have Scottish Dads, Morrison granny. Maloney the overseas player born in Malaysia.

this game has become a bit tasty over the last few days. already had shay given in the papers telling us how it will be like a home game for Ireland as parkhead has that "special" connection with them :lol: and how the sfa has made a mistake in that regard. the guy is clearly looking for a bench warming contract to finish off his career at parkhead.

this game has become a bit tasty over the last few days. already had shay given in the papers telling us how it will be like a home game for Ireland as parkhead has that "special" connection with them :lol: and how the sfa has made a mistake in that regard. the guy is clearly looking for a bench warming contract to finish off his career at parkhead.

Its becoming a bit of a pisstake tbh. Over on the Irish boards theyre the first to slag the Scots and slagginf us silly at that for being British etc after the NO vote yet 12 of their squad were born the same. :huh:

Hi guys, editorial now on The Dumbarton Terrace ahead of the game on Friday. Scotland have made a mess of these must-win home games in recent campaigns - but there's a different mood ahead of this one.

Read it here: http://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2014/11/12/scotland-v-republic-of-ireland-editorial/

Edited by DumbartonTerrace

I was born in Peterborough in 1985 to Scottish parents as my dad was based there with work. We moved to Inverness in 1987 and I've been here ever since. I consider myself fully Scottish. As I'm sure Paterson does.

I may be the case that for the two British born Northern Irish players no grandparents were born in Ireland.

Can't the Northern Irish players obtain an Irish passport anyway? So despite having no links to Southern Ireland whatsoever they can still play for them?

*northern irish players can play for either side if they're good enough. shay given is being a p***k yes we have english granny rules in the team the same as them and i'm not happy about that. but they wouldnt get in the england team in a month of sunday where as mcgeady and mccarthy are our 2 most expensive players. oh and dont believe mcgeadys PR pish about him being ignored by scotland

This video should help clear up his decision....FUCKIN boo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS61Deu8t8

Can't the Northern Irish players obtain an Irish passport anyway? So despite having no links to Southern Ireland whatsoever they can still play for them?

Yes, the good Friday agreement allowing people born within NI to legally obtain an Irish passport with Irish citizenship.

You can't really compare the grandfather rule we have with the situation in Ireland