The luck of the Irish.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you edit a post it says quite clearly in bold fucking letters that it's been edited. You do not know exactly what you read and responded to.

What ever stick to the topic,was it a good result or a bad one?

We will never know till more games are played

Happy for the Paddy"s though we would have taken it our self

Lets hope they come to Glasgow underestimating us

And we get another three points

O Neil will probably not let that happen though

If anybody knows about a good fight its him

And it will be on the park another battle

Again like the Poland game it will be won in midfield

Keane is a old head will not need many chances to score

Need to stop a guy like him and starve him of any chances

I'd say where you were raised / lived for most of your life is more important than being born somewhere. McGeady and McCarthy aren't Irish. Maloney and Fletcher both moved to Scotland as children. It's verging on racism/horrible ethnic nationalism to say Maloney and Fletcher can't be Scottish or that McGeady and McCarthy are Irish.

You can be more than one nationality, you can't just say you're a certain nationality when you blatantly aren't.

Except I'm not actually saying Maloney and Fletcher aren't Scottish, I was using Lex's logic on them to make a point.

I agree that claiming neither are Scottish is ridiculous, but it's also ridiculous to state that McGeady/McCarthy aren't at all Irish. Your nationality is whatever you feel, so long as you can make a legitimate claim to it. Me saying I'm Chinese is 100% wrong as I'm not, me saying I'm Irish because I have two Irish parents is no more correct or wrong than saying I'm Scottish because I was born and raised here. Same with those two.

Ethnic nationalism?

Aiden and James are both Irish citizens

Not a single player on Scotlands team is a citizen or Scotland so what is their nationality based on if not ethnicity?

Shame they never picked us they would be so much worse for were without them,the Irish are even stealing the best Northern Irishmen to now

Except I'm not actually saying Maloney and Fletcher aren't Scottish, I was using Lex's logic on them to make a point.

I agree that claiming neither are Scottish is ridiculous, but it's also ridiculous to state that McGeady/McCarthy aren't at all Irish. Your nationality is whatever you feel, so long as you can make a legitimate claim to it. Me saying I'm Chinese is 100% wrong as I'm not, me saying I'm Irish because I have two Irish parents is no more correct or wrong than saying I'm Scottish because I was born and raised here. Same with those two.

Yeah, but the fundamental difference between McGeady/McCarthy and Maloney/Fletcher is that Maloney and Fletcher moved to and lived in Scotland as children through to adulthood. McGeady and McCarthy have never lived in Ireland.

Ethnic nationalism?

Aiden and James are both Irish citizens

Not a single player on Scotlands team is a citizen or Scotland so what is their nationality based on if not ethnicity?

The Republic hand out passports like confetti though. It's meaningless.

I thought both McCarthy and McGeady were Scottish born to Scottish parents and qualified through an Irish grandparent.

Correct there from Glasgow there Scots Ireland have a history of stealing good players from this City guys such as Ray Houghton and Bernie Slaven and Owen Coyle

Correct there from Glasgow there Scots Ireland have a history of stealing good players from this City guys such as Ray Houghton and Bernie Slaven and Owen Coyle

Those three were overlooked by Scotland and opted to play for Ireland in order to experience international football.

Annoying, particularly in the case of Houghton.

McGrath and McCarthie opted for Ireland before Scotland's senior side had had a chance to pick them.

What ever stick to the topic,was it a good result or a bad one?

We will never know till more games are played

Happy for the Paddy"s though we would have taken it our self

Lets hope they come to Glasgow underestimating us

And we get another three points

O Neil will probably not let that happen though

If anybody knows about a good fight its him

And it will be on the park another battle

Again like the Poland game it will be won in midfield

Keane is a old head will not need many chances to score

Need to stop a guy like him and starve him of any chances

Laughable response to being caught out.

Is this blank verse?

You're not actually using my logic at all. You've got so caught up in this wee tangent you're on that you've forgot what you originally replied to.

I never said McCarthy or McGeady weren't Irish.

I thought both McCarthy and McGeady were Scottish born to Scottish parents and qualified through an Irish grandparent.

Hamilton were in the first division when Ireland called him up to there under 21 team during a time we were doing OK

Same with McGeady he was young and Knox was doing well with his team he was going to pick him afterwards when he needed a new team

So any idea that they were never going to get a chance is laughable they would have done if they waited but they never wanted to it was all about there ego

I hope McCarthy and Mcgeady get pelters in the run up and during the game. And rightly so. It sounded like McCarthy had real doubts when he played with Wigan. Didn't Caldwell have a wee word in his ear and didn't McCarthy not turn up to an Ireland get together? If I was strachan I would be using that as a ploy to wind up and unsettle him. Through the media before the game and from his players during the game. McCarthy is more scottish than Irish and when flower of Scotland kicks in he will bloody well know it.

I said that from the minute he became national property. Couple of mutual friends who often found the likes of Neil Warnock and Steve Bruce on the McCarthy living room settee prior to his move from Accies let slip that had he pulled out of the squad to face Macedonia in 2011 then Trappatoni was going to bin him, and only hadnt done so to that point on FAI advice that it would be a major egg-on-face scenario if after all their trouble in convincing him to stay with them (there were a LOT of meetings at the DW and phone calls made to keep him sweet....the family even got free weekends in Dublin out of it) never mind the daily blethering with Caldwell Maloney and McArthur having an impact. McGeady was always a lost cause for more ressons than the Irish grandfather who set eyes on him twice in his life, see Jim O'Brien and Andy Jackson tap-ups as continued evidence of their backstabbing ways in recruiting players, with McGeady they had obviously won a watchgiven where he was produced and developed.

I reckon that McCarthy seriously regrets his decision to play for Ireland given how much he seemed to procrastinate early in his International career, and it'll be interesting to see his face during the anthems in November.

McGeady, I don't think will be bothered.

Just to clarify, this is only my opinion, not based in fact, and I will also add that despite not liking their decisions, I have nothing against either of them, although I hope they both have stinkers when they play against us.

I hope McCarthy and Mcgeady get pelters in the run up and during the game. And rightly so. It sounded like McCarthy had real doubts when he played with Wigan. Didn't Caldwell have a wee word in his ear and didn't McCarthy not turn up to an Ireland get together? If I was strachan I would be using that as a ploy to wind up and unsettle him. Through the media before the game and from his players during the game. McCarthy is more scottish than Irish and when flower of Scotland kicks in he will bloody well know it.

When they do get pelters you will have paranoid celtic fans thinking we are all anti-irish which is absolute bollocks.

If both of them decided to play for wales they would get exactly the same pelters. If it was england it would have been 100 times worse for them

When they do get pelters you will have paranoid celtic fans thinking we are all anti-irish which is absolute bollocks.

If both of them decided to play for wales they would get exactly the same pelters. If it was england it would have been 100 times worse for them

I agree totally mate

The main point is, we should try and use this to our advantage.

Not because of who we are playing purely for our qualification chances

What a lot of folk don't know is how close James McFadden came to playing for Southern Ireland also. A family friend was dating his sister (now divorced from her) and brought him along to the San Marino Euro96 qualifier as one of the dozen or so weans to tot up the numbers in the family section as my old man couldnt get our usual West Stand seats, and apparently he was hooked; upon making it as a pro, his faither, an Irishman, understandably vehemently wanted his son to opt for Ireland, but James was true to his word to our friend upon taking him to just that one match, which also meant none of us ever missed a game after that due to any ticket shortage. It really can be just that feeble.

What a lot of folk don't know is how close James the Madman came to playing for Southern Ireland also. A family friend was dating his sister (now divorced from her) and brought him along to the San Marino Euro96 qualifier as one of the dozen or so weans to tot up the numbers in the family section as my old man couldnt get our usual West Stand seats, and apparently he was hooked; upon making it as a pro, his faither, an Irishman, understandably vehemently wanted his son to opt for Ireland, but James was true to his word to our friend upon taking him to just that one match, which also meant none of us ever missed a game after that due to any ticket shortage. It really can be just that feeble.

What?

Archived