The luck of the Irish.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can a stadium 90% full of people baying for your demise be a comfortable home atmosphere?

Everyone gets intimidated to a certain extent. The italians and spanish who have played in the biggest games imaginable stated it was a very intimidating atmosphere at hampden

Just because you don't break down and cry does not mean you don't feel the nerves.

Remind me what happened when we last played Italy and Spain at Hampden?

Intimidating or not, it makes little difference.

Remind me what happened when we last played Italy and Spain at Hampden?

Intimidating or not, it makes little difference.

Now come on. Those Italians were so cowed by the atmosphere, that it took them until deep into the second minute before they could do so much, as take the lead.

How many tickets have Ireland been given/bought?

10% of the attendance, roughly 6000, i'd imagine another 100 probably scattered amongst the home fans though :unsure2:

Now come on. Those Italians were so cowed by the atmosphere, that it took them until deep into the second minute before they could do so much, as take the lead.

If you actually watched that italy game you would have seen that we played them off the park for long periods and could have taken the lead if mcfadden was an inch closer to the ball. We would have never have played like that if that was in the san siro.

Are you seriously playing down the home advantage?

And for the other fans dumb logic of "some of these irish players have played a lot at celtic park so they will feel at home". Silliest logic of all time when you know at least 90% of the stadium will be a partisan scottish crowd. You could say the same for the rangers players that have regularly played at celtic park.

This will be about as far as comfortable a match for ireland as it is possible to get.

Home sides will always have an advantage but I think the notion that Hampden holds a fear factor for away sides is a bit off the mark. Back in the day it was perhaps the case, but nowadays international players are used to going to places like Serbia, Croatia etc etc where the crowd is far more partizan than it is at Hampden/Parkhead or anywhere else in Britain.

Are you seriously playing down the home advantage?

What are you on about now, you jibbering twerp?

Of course, I'm not playing down the advantage of playing at home. To do so, I'd need to ignore stacks of evidence built up over more than a century. Fortunately, I'm not that stupid.

What I am doing however, is agreeing with the poster who suggested that the importance of 'atmosphere' is overstated, whilst I mock anyone who challenges such a view by citing home, atmospheric, defeats.

Any Irish kid growing up will have a soft spot for Celtic and it will be their "Scottish" team unless they had cousins or ties to other parts of Scotland, A friend of mine is a Raith fan due to his Aunt living in Kirkclady !!!

Celtic Park will be a lift for our players, loads of our supporters will have been at games there down the years including myself although I prefer going to The Shire which AJF can confirm !!!

And our Manager and loads of the squad will have played there and know the ground well. Ibrox would of been a different story altogether. It is the closest we would get to a home ground outside of Ireland.

Any Irish kid growing up will have a soft spot for Celtic and it will be their "Scottish" team unless they had cousins or ties to other parts of Scotland, A friend of mine is a Raith fan due to his Aunt living in Kirkclady !!!

Celtic Park will be a lift for our players, loads of our supporters will have been at games there down the years including myself although I prefer going to The Shire which AJF can confirm !!!

And our Manager and loads of the squad will have played there and know the ground well. Ibrox would of been a different story altogether. It is the closest we would get to a home ground outside of Ireland.

Agreed. I think choosing this venue for the Ireland game was a mistake on a footballing level.

Although I can see why the SFA did it, this game could probably sell out twice over and they want to maximise revenue. The ground with the biggest capacity and hence biggest potential ticket revenue is Celtic Park.

Other than Mcgeady, Keane, Stokes and Murphy who out of your squad for this weeks games would have even played at Parkhead? Only one I can think of would be O Shea once for Man United in the champions league and perhaps Hoolahan in his Livi days about 10 years ago. So your theory about knowing the ground well is pretty much nonsense.

Other than Mcgeady, Keane, Stokes and Murphy who out of your squad for this weeks games would have even played at Parkhead? Only one I can think of would be O Shea once for Man United in the champions league and perhaps Hoolahan in his Livi days about 10 years ago. So your theory about knowing the ground well is pretty much nonsense.

Well McCarthy certainly played there with Accies.

Well McCarthy certainly played there with Accies.

Don't think he did, i'm Almost positive That McCarthy did not play at parkhead with Accies as he left them before they were promoted to the SPL, unless it was in a cup

Would I be right in saying that if we played Ireland at Ibrox rather than Parkhead then we would have been forced to give their fans even more tickets - or leave hundreds of seats empty - due to problems with segregating stands at Ibrox? Is that not why Celtic always got the whole of the stand behind the goal when they played there? At Parkhead most Irish fans will be in the corner behind the goal right of the main stand, a lot of them with slightly restricted view behind the pillar as well.

Both teams have players, managers, and coaches who have been involved in games at Parkhead many times. The only advantage in this game is I genuinely think we are a better team than them now. We certainly play better football anyway. Hopefully that will be good enough to get the points

As for turfing Irish fans out the Scotland sections - I was one of the many sitting among German fans in Dortmund so that would be hypocritical. As long as they are behaving themselves and not causing any bother then what's the issue?

Don't think he did, i'm Almost positive That McCarthy did not play at parkhead with Accies as he left them before they were promoted to the SPL, unless it was in a cup

According to Wiki he left Accies in 09. Accies were promoted in 08.

Is that wrong?

Don't think it is, I'm sure I seen him and McArthur playing against us in the SPL.

Archived