The luck of the Irish.

LOL, we screening people for jockability now?

It's a football game FFS, any c**t that gets their hand on a ticket should be allowed in regardless of where they live.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were in that stand for the Celtic cup a few years back.

It's actually a fantastic stadium and there are reasons for that stand being so small - the neighbours didn't want the stadium blocking out the sun from their back garden.

I don't think a stadium that has a bench for a stand can be a fantastic stadium.

I'd hope for a friendly atmosphere between the two sets of fans but I fear you may be right. The Irish have historically not enjoyed much hospitality from the British, I'd be surprised if British football fans changed all of a sudden.

The scotland support are the most anti-british set of fans on earth. There is more chance of ireland fans singing god save the queen than the scotland ones

EDIT- the scotland and ireland fans will get on great together. Being an intimidating atmosphere doesn't mean we hate ireland. We want scotland to win the same we would do against any rival in the group

Makes me laugh reading that starting 11 and thinking of all the people saying Scotland are miles ahead of Ireland. You couldn't really find two teams more evenly matched than Ireland and Scotland. Both at a pretty decent if unspectacular level, with middle ranking Premiership and top end Championship players the general theme.

If I was to make a distinction I'd say Scotland have superior depth in most positions, but Ireland have two or three stand out players. Which one ends up being more important is anyone's guess, but for fans of Ireland or Scotland to claim are far superior is a fucking laugh.

Interesting concept. In your book does being from a particular country mean being born there or your family being from there? If you have to be born in a country to be that nationality (which I assume you agree with as you claim Mcgeady and McCarthy are Scottish), let's look at how many "Scottish" goals Scotland have scored.

Germany - Ikechi Anya (born in Scotland to non-Scottish parents, therefore Scottish) scores after an assist from Steven Fletcher (born outside Scotland to 50% non-Scottish family, therefore not Scottish). Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

Georgia - Andrew Robertson (completely Lex-approved Scottish) crosses the ball and it lands at the feet of Shaun Maloney (born outside of Scotland to Scottish parents, therefore not Scottish) who scores. Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

Poland 1 - Steven Fletcher (already confirmed as not Scottish) crosses for Maloney (already confirmed as not Scottish) to score. Conclusion = not a Scottish goal at all.

Poland 2 - Shaun Maloney (already confirmed as not Scottish) swings in a free kick which is knocked in by Steven Naismith (100% Lex-approved Scottish). Conclusion = not a fully Scottish goal.

There you have it, Scotland truly are one of the biggest bin rakers in world football. Here was me thinking it's great how the land of my birth have started so well in the Euro 2016 qualifiers, but after realising they haven't scored one single goal without the help of foreigners it feels a bit hollow now. At least we aren't as bad as Bosnia, who IIRC correctly had a World Cup squad that's 90% un-Bosnian in the Lex nationality test. Shameful.

What an epic heads gone rant that was :lol:

Feel better now?

I'm not surprised you've been warned regarding racism on this forum, you strike me as that type. What a strange guy.

It's as "technically correct" as Scotland being called North Britain, but if people from outside of Scotland started calling it that then people on here would be incredibly butthurt.

Anyway, some folk here need to calm the f**k down about Scotland. They've made great improvements and look a good side at the moment, but these comments saying "we'll take 8 points from Ireland and Poland easily" are laughable. All three sides are clearly of a reasonably similar standard. As for Ireland being lucky because they score late goals, LOL. That's about as lucky as Scotland is unlucky not to be a real country. Not one bit.

Heads gone

What an epic heads gone rant that was :lol:Feel better now?I'm not surprised you've been warned regarding racism on this forum, you strike me as that type. What a strange guy.
Spectacular deflection there. Are you going to respond to my point at all or just pretend the person who's dismantling your argument is raging? What makes McGeady not Irish but Shaun Maloney Scottish? Please attempt a proper answer this time.
Heads gone
Which part of my post seemed angry to you? The last time it was suggested my head was gone it backfired spectacularly as well.

Spectacular deflection there. Are you going to respond to my point at all or just pretend the person who's dismantling your argument is raging? What makes McGeady not Irish but Shaun Maloney Scottish? .

As has been alluded to, had James Morrison or any of the other players you included in your wee tirade been good enough for England, they wouldn't be near the Scotland team. For them the choice was no international football or Scotland, they never turned their back on their country.

For McCarthy and McGeady, the choice for them was to represent where they were born and raised or Ireland. For reasons only they know, they chose Ireland. Therefore, sadly for you, they aren't comparable scenarios. By all means continue with your wee hissy fit though, it's most entertaining.

Knowing what the Tartan Army is like I expect those two to get a right hostile reception next month.

I can assure you 50 plus thousand scotland fans baying every decision that goes against us and cheering every attack we have will be far from a friendly home atmosphere for them. It will be an intimating atmosphere for ireland. When scotland fans are up for it and it is a big game the atmosphere is unreal.

They will be far from comfortable at celtic park

I think you're vastly over estimating what an atmosphere does to players. The Irish team is packed with experienced players, several of whom have played in major international tournaments and the Champions League. I can't see them being intimidated.

What is certain is many of them will have grown up as Celtic fans and will have dreamed of playing at Celtic Park. It was nice of us to give those few that haven't already played there that opportunity.

I'd hope for a friendly atmosphere between the two sets of fans but I fear you may be right. The Irish have historically not enjoyed much hospitality from the British, I'd be surprised if British football fans changed all of a sudden.

Anyone that even replied after this shite should simmer down. :lol:

As has been alluded to, had James Morrison or any of the other players you included in your wee tirade been good enough for England, they wouldn't be near the Scotland team. For them the choice was no international football or Scotland, they never turned their back on their country. For McCarthy and McGeady, the choice for them was to represent where they were born and raised or Ireland. For reasons only they know, they chose Ireland. Therefore, sadly for you, they aren't comparable scenarios. By all means continue with your wee hissy fit though, it's most entertaining.Knowing what the Tartan Army is like I expect those two to get a right hostile reception next month.
The truth is though that without the Irish family of both players, neither would exist and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Scotland are therefore not unlucky not to have these two, which was my original point despite your desperate attempts to paint me as annoyed or wound up.
Anyone that even replied after this shite should simmer down. :lol:
Aye, I assumed folk would know I was being flippant there.
Maybe Aidan and James wanted to spend their international careers playing for an actual country and not an English county
I've always thought McGeady and McCarthy's decision was an acceptable one buy one I wouldn't have chosen. Now I'm thinking they may have been right all along. There's no doubt being Scottish is a much more self-loathing, negative feeling than being Irish.

There is some dafty on the tamb claiming that this will be like a home game for Ireland due to the strong connections of the irish to celtic park.Apparently if you are Irish you have to support Celtic.

Looks to be sold out already.

Going to be a great atmosphere.

I think you're vastly over estimating what an atmosphere does to players. The Irish team is packed with experienced players, several of whom have played in major international tournaments and the Champions League. I can't see them being intimidated.

What is certain is many of them will have grown up as Celtic fans and will have dreamed of playing at Celtic Park. It was nice of us to give those few that haven't already played there that opportunity.

How can a stadium 90% full of people baying for your demise be a comfortable home atmosphere?

Everyone gets intimidated to a certain extent. The italians and spanish who have played in the biggest games imaginable stated it was a very intimidating atmosphere at hampden

Just because you don't break down and cry does not mean you don't feel the nerves.

Speaking as a yes voter, the "Scotland isn't a real country" chat is very, very cringeworthy and does nothing but make you look childish and embarrass the main reasons for wanting political independence.

Archived