Alloa v Cowden

Great result for Cowden yesterday and it sounds like I missed an entertaining match. Quite a change from our first encounter against Alloa this season which is best forgotten. The loan signings have made a huge difference to our team. I just hope that we can keep a hold of them for as long as possible. A great confidence boost for the team with some very big games on the horizon.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few folk moaning that we sat in at 3-1.

Alloa threw big Gordon upfront as a last throw of the dice and it causes uncertainty. Credit to alloa is due and they did put us under a bit of pressure.

we are not streets ahead of them so cant control the whole game and attack at will so for me we did well to hang on.

have to agree we were a bit slow to make the subs, not the first time we have said that either.

decent open game, entertaining to watch. Thats what its all about.

Sorry for moaning but its so frustrating.Gordon going upfront is the last act of a beaten team.He is great in the air and a real handfull but now all you are facing is long balls into you,re box.Going deep is playing right into their hands.When we force ourselves into this position Higgins is totally isolated and every clearance just comes straight back.Being part time we should be making changes to keep us at our best,not to just hang on.We also don,t have the greatest record of keeping two goal leads.When Gordon went up front they are now three at the back.I would have brought on Nat and Deano for Sean and Kyle and left Gallacher and Oyenuga up against their three.That would have given us four across the middle,all happy on the ball with Kane behind them and two on fire forwards against three defenders.The best way to keep Gordon Quiet is to make them defend us.For what its worth i believe we are the best of the part time teams and more than good enough to get results against the other sides when we play as well as we can.Confidence is everything and that is the managers job.

Sorry for moaning but its so frustrating.Gordon going upfront is the last act of a beaten team.He is great in the air and a real handfull but now all you are facing is long balls into you,re box.Going deep is playing right into their hands.When we force ourselves into this position Higgins is totally isolated and every clearance just comes straight back.Being part time we should be making changes to keep us at our best,not to just hang on.We also don,t have the greatest record of keeping two goal leads.When Gordon went up front they are now three at the back.I would have brought on Nat and Deano for Sean and Kyle and left Gallacher and Oyenuga up against their three.That would have given us four across the middle,all happy on the ball with Kane behind them and two on fire forwards against three defenders.The best way to keep Gordon Quiet is to make them defend us.For what its worth i believe we are the best of the part time teams and more than good enough to get results against the other sides when we play as well as we can.Confidence is everything and that is the managers job.

Alloa weren't getting anywhere so resorted to hoofball. Can't blame them, it just about worked. We have struggled many times at corners and set pieces and with a big guy like Gordon in there it was difficult. We shouldn't have backed off when we were at 3-1, there were more goals for us in that game.

Oyenuga and Gallagher though surely were feeling the effects of their tremendous exertions. They weren't going to be able to keep on running with that energy, power and pace for the full 90 minutes.

They dont have to though CC.Their pace and ability would get them on the ball more often than Sean as he is on his own.Supported by the midfield we can keep the ball down their half for longer which gives our back three some respite.Ben Gordon would trouble any defence in the air so the longer we have the ball the less effect he can have.I also agree with Aberdeen Cowden that we could have scored again.

Have to agree with you here. I'd have left Kudus and Gallacher out at their corners especially. They won't counter Gordons arial threat but would have taken 3 or 4 Alloa players out of the stramash. I'd fancy. TOB or Brownlie attacking the ball from a set piece when they get a run at it with space to work in.

Im going to disagree and will explain why.

remember playing against ballingry and wee sandy marshall slating us for having left 2 upfront in dying mins of a game we were leading 2-1. They scored from the corner and our chance of the league was gone. Of course cowden are playing at a higher level but im pretty sure many top international teams have everyone back at corners. We were in the lead away from home and don't need to score again to win so defend at all costs and kill the game. Will bet anyone if we left 2 upfront alloa would only have left 2 back as they are losing anyway. This leaves us man for man wih nobody spare for the posts and if alloa score everyone goes mental as we dont have everyone back defending.

Have to agree with you here. I'd have left Kudus and Gallacher out at their corners especially. They won't counter Gordons arial threat but would have taken 3 or 4 Alloa players out of the stramash. I'd fancy. TOB or Brownlie attacking the ball from a set piece when they get a run at it with space to work in.

This.They would have to leave players back and we would have added Nats height to the mix.We are two goals up,they should be worrying about us.

interesting you say robbo needs a footballer beside him and marshall didnt get off the bench.

Hearing he loves to keep the ball, maybe he could have come on yesterday to play alongside Robbo and try to retain some possession when we were under pressure.for me I would get back to the extra midfielder ( TOB/Kane ) sitting behind the middle two, when Kudos and Gallagher are off the pitch.

remember playing against ballingry and wee sandy marshall slating us for having left 2 upfront in dying mins of a game we were leading 2-1. They scored from the corner and our chance of the league was gone. Of course cowden are playing at a higher level but im pretty sure many top international teams have everyone back at corners. We were in the lead away from home and don't need to score again to win so defend at all costs and kill the game. Will bet anyone if we left 2 upfront alloa would only have left 2 back as they are losing anyway. This leaves us man for man wih nobody spare for the posts and if alloa score everyone goes mental as we dont have everyone back defending.

Take you,re points Al,it is a debate after all.I will counter with the fact we could easily still have conceded with everyone back.If Alloa left only two back against our front two i would be delighted.You have to admit we are very insecure with a two goal lead.Should be the opposite.

I'm going to disagree and will explain why :)

No-one out means even if we clear it it's coming straight back. This happened in the last 10 minutes yesterday. I think it invites pressure onto ourselves. If we leave players out they'll commit men back. If they are going gung ho in the last attack of the game we can drop our men back but they won't be doing this with 10 to go. We'd camped out at set pieces by then yesterday.

We have an out ball with the pace those two have. If someone hoofs it clear then 2v2 or even 2v 3 i'd think they could create a scoring opportunity when picking up the ball from halfway. Even if they don't score it gives Alloa something to think about and stops them throwing everyone forward. If they do score the game is dead. We only have to get lucky once. Alloa have to win every gamble.

When Alloa were hoofing it into the box yesterday our back 3 were having no issues when they had space to attack the ball. Brownlie can dominate and TOB at the end ran 20 yards or so to attack a ball in the air. With 21 men in the box they can't attack the ball like that. The more men we keep out of our box the better chance our back 3 have of clearing it.

I've mentioned this on another thread already. A few seasons back, Cowden were playing Peterhead at CP and Peterhead got a corner. Cowden put three players on the halfway line and Peterhead didn't know what to do, think they had about five players back.Needless to say the corner came to nothing.

When Alloa got their second goal we had everyone back, didn't stop the goal.

I see there are doubts amongst the Alloa support about Bary Smith's ability to turn things around for The Wasps, most mentioning that he had no plan B against Cowden. He hasn't had much luck with injuries so far but all will be revealed when players who are out come back into the side. Just so long as Alloa aren't adrift at the bottom before things start to happen.

I see there are doubts amongst the Alloa support about Bary Smith's ability to turn things around for The Wasps, most mentioning that he had no plan B against Cowden. He hasn't had much luck with injuries so far but all will be revealed when players who are out come back into the side. Just so long as Alloa aren't adrift at the bottom before things start to happen.

We were saying the same about JN before the Queens game and we were a bit adrift.

No doubts about Bazza here. He's going about things in the right way, and I think he's still learning. Whether or not we stay up is irrelevant this season, although it'd be a nice bonus.

That 20 minutes or so after half-time when Gallacher was turning it on is nothing to do with Alloa being poor. The boy has something about him and he's done the same against better teams than Alloa in the last few weeks.

Alloa came out after half time looking very flat, one paced and unable to string a couple of passes together. However well did Gallagher did during that spell he certainly can't take the credit for how poor Alloa were. He did play very well though. He was rank rotten up front when with Alloa and his missed sitter early on brought back memories of that but as a wide player yesterday he was excellent. Quick and direct. I don't think he'll make it at Rangers but you're right, he has something all right. Oyenuga was also very good, a real threat with his pace and Thomson made one awesome save and several other very good ones.

I would agree to an extent with the concerns some Cowden fans have raised about them sitting back. Alloa were dead and buried at 3-1 and at that stage I was expecting Cowden to kick on and win 4 or 5-1. Instead they sat so deep and invited us onto them and but for two great saves and a bad miss from a free header in the six yard box we would have taken a point from a game in which we were absolutely sh*te. Still, they got away with it and an excellent and well deserved 3 points.

Alloa came out after half time looking very flat, one paced and unable to string a couple of passes together. However well did Gallagher did during that spell he certainly can't take the credit for how poor Alloa were. He did play very well though. He was rank rotten up front when with Alloa and his missed sitter early on brought back memories of that but as a wide player yesterday he was excellent. Quick and direct. I don't think he'll make it at Rangers but you're right, he has something all right. Oyenuga was also very good, a real threat with his pace and Thomson made one awesome save and several other very good ones.

I would agree to an extent with the concerns some Cowden fans have raised about them sitting back. Alloa were dead and buried at 3-1 and at that stage I was expecting Cowden to kick on and win 4 or 5-1. Instead they sat so deep and invited us onto them and but for two great saves and a bad miss from a free header in the six yard box we would have taken a point from a game in which we were absolutely sh*te. Still, they got away with it and an excellent and well deserved 3 points.

Didn't know Gallacher had spent time at Alloa. When was this?

ETA yes he should have scored that one but you have to credit your keeper with his first great save of the afternoon.

Didn't know Gallacher had spent time at Alloa. When was this?

ETA yes he should have scored that one but you have to credit your keeper with his first great save of the afternoon.

He was at Alloa for the 2nd half of season 2012-13. Played in 9 league games for them, 4 as sub, without scoring. He also had a spell with the Shire last season scoring twice in 3 (+ 2 sub) league games.

Archived