Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

• 8 months later...

Capture.thumb.PNG.ca046f0c339c6ea98c2be3fb158eb679.PNGSlavia Praha ended 8 years without a league win by clinching the title on the last day by finishing 2 points clear over Viktoria Pilzen, with Sparta finishing a distant third, they had to play their last home game of the season at the Stadion Evzena Rosickeho, an Athletics stadium, due to Depeche Mode and Rammstein concerts this week.

Edited by diegomarahenry

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Apart from being able to pronounce Czech hockey players names correctly, my Czech isn't great, whats the story behind this? Protesting the board?

4 hours ago, Torpar said:

Apart from being able to pronounce Czech hockey players names correctly, my Czech isn't great, whats the story behind this? Protesting the board?

Yes, they were relegated last season and are pretty much a yo-yo club between the top and second flight. 

• 1 month later...

hmmm - disappointing - just settling down for kick off on a splendid stream for the Prague derby - Dukla v Sparta - and was hoping for the archetypal wholly mental east european fare of rioting fans, flares, armed police, helicopters, marauding elephants and suchlike; seems, however, to be a tawdry affair in a half-full, shitty stadium which started off with an extended floral presentation ceremony - I presume Slavia v Sparta is more likely to provide amusing scenes...

4 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

hmmm - disappointing - just settling down for kick off on a splendid stream for the Prague derby - Dukla v Sparta - and was hoping for the archetypal wholly mental east european fare of rioting fans, flares, armed police, helicopters, marauding elephants and suchlike; seems, however, to be a tawdry affair in a half-full, shitty stadium which started off with an extended floral presentation ceremony - I presume Slavia v Sparta is more likely to provide amusing scenes...

Sparta v Dukla would probably be the equivalent of  Rangers v  Partick in Czech football, there is a bit more dig in the Bohemians v Slavia matches but the real rivalry in Czech football is Slavia v Sparta

Dukla are a reformed club as well, and their stadium only comprises one stand, albeit an absolutely huge one. As much as there's a romance for the side because of Half Man Half Biscuit, they're pretty much an under-supported irrelevance. 

Not making the trip to Prague tomorrow, but Slavia vs Zbrojovka is a stick-on home win as Brno have been outrageously poor this season, with the exception of an outstanding home performance to beat Sparta 2-0 three or four matchdays ago. 

Glad I saw this thread as I forgot all about it! I really should update it, particularly as I have my season ticket this year, but life/PhDing has got in the way. 

6 hours ago, Menzel said:

Dukla are a reformed club as well, and their stadium only comprises one stand, albeit an absolutely huge one. As much as there's a romance for the side because of Half Man Half Biscuit, they're pretty much an under-supported irrelevance. 

Not making the trip to Prague tomorrow, but Slavia vs Zbrojovka is a stick-on home win as Brno have been outrageously poor this season, with the exception of an outstanding home performance to beat Sparta 2-0 three or four matchdays ago. 

Glad I saw this thread as I forgot all about it! I really should update it, particularly as I have my season ticket this year, but life/PhDing has got in the way. 

Slavia have been on a Celtic type unbeaten run but it is draws that are killing them this year, Skoda has been injured quite a bit and the players brought in for the European games have been mostly poor or injured. Losing Pavlenka to Werder Bremen and having a calamitous replacement in Lastuvka hasn't helped either. I'd say either a draw or a narrow 1-0 home win. 

On 06/10/2017 at 22:32, Girth said:

What Bohemians up to these days?

Currently tenth in the first league. Not terrible but hardly spectacular either. They're a team that works hard but IMO not particularly amazing to watch. Good day out to Prague through if you ever see them, far more enjoyable than watching Sparta/Slavia. 

Bohemians are gubbins and don't even provide comedy value with their low-scoring shitfests. The Czech equivalent of Hamilton.  Struggling to see how other clubs could produce a poorer experience tbh. 

Viktoria Žižkov games in the second tier sound much more fun. 

Edited by vikingTON

• 1 month later...