Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

Been living in Prague on and off for a few years, Started to go and watch Slavia regularly as well as a lower league team, Eden is a fantastic stadium but only seen it full when Valencia and Scotland were there.

My following Slavia coincided with their drop down the league and financial woes, I've stuck by them though.

In my opinion, Czech football is similar to Scottish football in that the population can no longer be forced to go and watch it, most of the top league teams get about 3-4-5 thousand attendances, mostly home grown players etc

Its pretty entertaining watching some of the fan groups though, I think it was Ostrava who had one guy in a Nazi stormtrooper helmet with bull horns attached......one had a megaphone and was leading about 200 folk in an almost choreographed song and dance number

The winter break works as well, They had an indoor tournament a couple of years ago like the Tennents 6's during the winter break, I'd love something like that in Scotland again.

What's the relationship like in football when it comes to Czech Republic and Slovakia? Do Czechs support the Slovaks and the other way around (if they didn't qualify)?

Cheers for the stories and pics - enjoyed reading all that.

I had no idea you were a Czech speaker, nice to hear there's another on these boards. You're right, Zbrojovka is the new incarnation of Boby, you still get a fair few chants around the old team name on matchdays.

Interestingly enough, Viktoria and Zbrojovka have a fan friendship going, which I find utterly bizarre for two teams in the same league. I went along to the game which was about 3 weeks ago now if memory serves, and Viktorka away fans ended up mixing in with the Zbrojovaci 'ultras' section. For all my investigations, the friendship seems entirely constructed on a mutual hatred of Sparta/Slavia. Here's a photos from their facebook of the fan display:

Would be interested to hear what you were up to in Plzeň for purely nosey purposes. Looking forward to your future contributions!

Czech language summer school, I was expecting it to be quite rough with all the old industry, but it's a nice city, even by the Czech Republic's high standards. I passed Viktoria's stadium but left the week that the Super Cup was played, so couldn't get a game. The price of season tickets seemed to be outrageously cheap though.

post-11540-0-34488600-1414085362_thumb.j

Viktoria's ground is probably in one of the best locations in the world: it's a five minute walk at most from the Urquell brewery, and from the Groll microbrewery. Both places (even for Urquell's huge size) must be fun before a big match.

I've found Slovaks are a lot like Scots, They like to tell you that everything CZ is known for is actually Slovakian and all the famous pre-split Czechoslovakians were actually Slovaks etc They have beautiful scenery unlike CZ

They tend to be nicer and more approachable as well, maybe because they see themselves as ex-pats also and are looking to make friends.

Not sure on the football front but when I have asked them about the attitude to each other post-split, it tends to be the same answer - we are no longer brother and sister but more like cousins in the same family

Czech language summer school, I was expecting it to be quite rough with all the old industry, but it's a nice city, even by the Czech Republic's high standards. I passed Viktoria's stadium but left the week that the Super Cup was played, so couldn't get a game. The price of season tickets seemed to be outrageously cheap though.

attachicon.gif322.jpg

Viktoria's ground is probably in one of the best locations in the world: it's a five minute walk at most from the Urquell brewery, and from the Groll microbrewery. Both places (even for Urquell's huge size) must be fun before a big match.

First time I went to Slavia it was 200Kc to get in, a free program and they had a special promotion on beer, 2 for 50kc

25Kc for a beer isn't cheap by CZ standards but for a football crowd, and a captive audience it is superb

They seem to have a come and enjoy your day attitude at football matches there, where as Scotland it tends to be take what you are given and be glad of it even though you are paying a premium.

Thanks for the updates, guys. Really interesting to read. Do Slovaks also have a chip on their shoulder like us lot, and try to say every second chance they do that they are different to Czechs as well then?

Hugely off topic, but just noticed my girlfriend's Euroshopper Pantyliners (from the cabinet) instructions? are in English, Dutch, Czech and Slovak. Yet for English it says (IRL/GB), Dutch (NL), then two seperate entries for CZ and the SK - and from my undertrained eyes, I cannot see a difference between CZ and SK yet they have separate entries?

EG

Dámske slipové vlokye s vysokou absorpcni..

Ahhh

I noticed a few now I´ve read further

CZ - Belgie

SK - Belgicko

Sorry, for clusterfunking this up, but it's pretty interesting. Is Slovak like 'Scots' being an official language and Czech being the Queens?

The differences are less than that of Lowland Scots and standard English AFAIK: though of course the same applies to a greater or lesser degree with Czech/Polish, Polish/Slovak. Slovak sounds and looks very similar to Slovene too, which could open up the rest of the South Slav languages. Czech/Slovak is the closest pair though unless you count Serb and Croat as separate.

It's mostly just minor changes like that, but there are definitely some words that are entirely different. The only I know is the word for liver, játra in Czech, but pečeň in Slovak. This apparently causes some confusion for each other when ordering from the other lot's menus, particularly as both have the word pečený, meaning 'baked'.

I've got no direct info there, but aren't the former Yugoslavs anticipated to try the first move in that direction? If that gets up and running then it's a possibility.

Though if we're thinking about mergers that make sense, there's actually no real reason to keep it just Czech-Slovak either: you could chuck in Austria and Hungary as well for a much tastier, hyper-nationalist league.

My only memories of Brno was Hearts always drawing them in the UEFA Cup in LMA Manager 2001.

Best thing I've learned about Czech football is the Bohemians/Bohemians Prague story. Both clubs with near identical badges, identical colours but one absolutely despises the other.

Can't remember the ins and outs but isn't a similar story to the MK Dons/Wimbledon thing? Except in this instance, Wimbledon remained the same but the fans jumped ship to AFC Wimbledon.

Not exactly. There was a financial crisis in Bohemians in 2005 where the club was saved by the fans, dropping down a few divisions but slowly getting back up to the premier league. During that time FC Střížkov bought the name and the logo, something which has been ruled illegal, but they soldier on regardless. Bohemians fans, busy saving their club, didn't jump ship to it, however. Now the original bohemians have 1905 after their name and are a league above FK Bohemians Prague, they'll meet again in the league if 1905 get relegated as it's unlikely that Bohemians Střížkov would be allowed up due to their stadium. There's of course animosity there, overwhelmingly one-sided towards Střížkov, but most fans of the Klokani are much more concerned with their traditional rivals Slavia, coming from the same area in Prague.

I've got no direct info there, but aren't the former Yugoslavs anticipated to try the first move in that direction? If that gets up and running then it's a possibility.

Though if we're thinking about mergers that make sense, there's actually no real reason to keep it just Czech-Slovak either: you could chuck in Austria and Hungary as well for a much tastier, hyper-nationalist league.

Sounds interesting but I've not read about that. The article suggested a Czech-Slovak and a Russian-Ukrainian League were possibilities. I assume the Crimea conflict has put paid to the latter but the former seems feasible.

Surely a Yugoslav League would just be too full of sectarian/nationalistic hooliganism to be seriously considered?

I remember World Soccer a few years back suggesting that the Czech and Slovak Leagues might re-merge. Is that still a possibility?

I'd say that it would be highly unlikely, especially given the competition for places in Europe and so on. I'd argue that the standard of Czech football is higher, obviously teams like Slovan Bratislava would compete, but would mean many Slovak clubs missing out on European fitba cash. There's also the economic questions surrounding it, considering that both countries use different currencies. There would be loads of fan resistance to such moves you'd assume. If I was a supporter of one of the Bohemian teams I wouldn't relish the away trips to somewhere like Košice either!

On the subject of money, I'd love to know where diegomarahenry drinks if 25 crowns for a pint is expensive by Czech standards!

Edited by Menzel

The differences are less than that of Lowland Scots and standard English AFAIK: though of course the same applies to a greater or lesser degree with Czech/Polish, Polish/Slovak. Slovak sounds and looks very similar to Slovene too, which could open up the rest of the South Slav languages. Czech/Slovak is the closest pair though unless you count Serb and Croat as separate.

It's mostly just minor changes like that, but there are definitely some words that are entirely different. The only I know is the word for liver, játra in Czech, but pečeň in Slovak. This apparently causes some confusion for each other when ordering from the other lot's menus, particularly as both have the word pečený, meaning 'baked'.

Cheers, skipper.

What made you learn Czech (or was it Slovak)?

I speak a bit of 'Montenegrin' - there's absolutely or very little difference from it to Serb, much like the Croats who are now trying to invent words to differentiate themselves from the mother land/tongue. Bosnian is pretty much Serbo-Croat with a few odd or Turkish(fake Islamic) words put in. Macedonian can be understood if read, much like Slovene too. Of course Albanian (those motherless, squinty/beady arab b*****ds, *JOKE*, I love them)

This is hugelty off topic, but again, cheers for the Slovak/Czech update.

Slovenes love being a bit different, but although no one from the god awful Balkans can understand them, they can all read their papers. They basically think they shit don't stink. And it doesn't in my eyes as I always support them whenever they turn up at Ice Hockey World Cups, WCs, and so on.

Sounds interesting but I've not read about that. The article suggested a Czech-Slovak and a Russian-Ukrainian League were possibilities. I assume the Crimea conflict has put paid to the latter but the former seems feasible.

Surely a Yugoslav League would just be too full of sectarian/nationalistic hooliganism to be seriously considered?

It actually wouldn't.

Put some turbo-folk or Eurosvision hits on from the 80s and 90s, and they'll get on fine, if no one mentions the war or Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Even before Yugoslavia broke up - Dinamo Zagreb - Red Star, Maribor - Zeljezincar - were always fiery, filled with ethinc hate filled songs and tension, yet after the game finished, people went home, and if they ever met a Serb/Bosnian/Croat/Slovene (whoever was not from their region/area/country) they'd treat them with respect.

A Yugoslav league would be the saving of the ex-Yugo states. Many are actually pining for it! As long as they can stay seperate for Eurovision and football. ;)

I'd say that it would be highly unlikely, especially given the competition for places in Europe and so on. I'd argue that the standard of Czech football is higher, obviously teams like Slovan Bratislava would compete, but would mean many Slovak clubs missing out on European fitba cash. There's also the economic questions surrounding it, considering that both countries use different currencies. There would be loads of fan resistance to such moves you'd assume. If I was a supporter of one of the Bohemian teams I wouldn't relish the away trips to somewhere like Košice either!

On the subject of money, I'd love to know where diegomarahenry drinks if 25 crowns for a pint is expensive by Czech standards!

There is a Slovak pub at the bottom of the road I used to live in in Kolin which sells Kozel for 14Kc a pint,it has pelts on the wall and looks like something from game of thrones.One of my workmates is an expert in Prague beer prices, a day out with him normally results in 3 tram journeys to sit in a basement somewhere and save 5kc a beer.....he's from Greenock(genuinely, although he now claims Gourock)

There is a place in Prague 2, near the movie bar that does Kozel for 17Kc, The cheapest bar to watch football in I've found is(was Paddys, now)Rock and beer on Smeckach

I've not been to a Slavia game for a few weeks, I'll maybe try and get along to the Dukla game next week

Well small towns are generall cheaper, but 25-30 is your standard for most places I find right now. It was slightly cheaper in Jihlava where I was based this week but I wouldn't mind anywhere that's 20-25 really.

It's the game I know you've all been waiting for...the South Moravian derby (!) is this weekend as 1. FC Slovácko make the 70km trip west to take on Zbrojovka. The Uherské Hradiště are off the back of going down 1:0 to Plzeň, by all means an acceptable result, while Zbrojovka's unespected 2:0 loss to second-bottom Jihlava (outrageous) now leaves them 13/16, albeit with a 6 point cushion and only one point off the relegation zone. Both teams will be hoping to bounce back tomorrow night - Slovácko finished a half-decent 6th last year and are far stronger at home than on the road, and have not been doing so well against inferior opposition this year. Zbrojovka, playing at home, should fancy their chances for a result to get back on winning ways after only one win in five.

I'll be at the game tomorrow and will hopefully get pictures of the action. Game of the weekend has to be the top of the table clash, where first-placed Plzeň take on a resurgent Sparta Prague only a point behind them - kick-off is at 19:15 UK time (20:15 Cz) if anyone wishes to watch, it'll be broadcast on TV and is worth streaming.

Lost to Slovácko 1-0 with a gutless Brno performance, unfortunately. Double unfortunate is that the game in Prague against Bohemians has been moved to Monday night, meaning that I can no longer make the trip. It will be televised for those interested, however. Bohemians are good at home and any points, while being third bottom, would certainly be welcomed.