Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

Slavia have been sold my the Chinese state run energy company CITIC group to Czech energy boss Pavel Tykac. 
The current chairman, Jaroslav Tvardik, said in an interview with Seznam that there are stronger regulations involved in dealing with Chinese companies now. They also described the move as breaking free from Chinese slavery. The previous owners had prevented any capital projects from being carried out, including a dedicated youth academy and work to increase the capacity of the Eden Arena. 

Because season tickets are so moderately priced, there was an issue with people buying them to attend bigger games and the European ballots, meaning there were many empty seats and other fans couldn't attend. They now have a system in place where if you do not attend, you must register that the seat will not be in use, where you will get credit towards next years ticket. A failure to do so a certain amount of times will see your season ticket removed next season. 
Eden has been sold out every match day this season, so an increase on the 18k capacity is needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ivan Hasek has been named as the new coach of the Czech Republic. He played for Sparta for 9 years before signing for Strasbourg, a couple of clubs in Japan and then a further 2 years at Sparta at the end of his career where he stepped directly in to management. He has managed in France and the Middle East as well as international experience with Gabon, Lebanon. This is his second stint as the Czech national team coach. He was manager between 2009 and 2011 when they were in the same qualification group as Scotland that included the infamous  4-6-0 (apart from Naismith playing up front) game. 

On 04/01/2024 at 12:38, diegomarahenry said:

Ivan Hasek has been named as the new coach of the Czech Republic. He played for Sparta for 9 years before signing for Strasbourg, a couple of clubs in Japan and then a further 2 years at Sparta at the end of his career where he stepped directly in to management. He has managed in France and the Middle East as well as international experience with Gabon, Lebanon. This is his second stint as the Czech national team coach. He was manager between 2009 and 2011 when they were in the same qualification group as Scotland that included the infamous  4-6-0 (apart from Naismith playing up front) game. 

I was a bit surprised that Silhavy left. He was right imo, the pressures on managers are unfair. He did his job and has left at a high point.

What's the general public response to Hasek's appointment and Silhavy stepping down?

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I was a bit surprised that Silhavy left. He was right imo, the pressures on managers are unfair. He did his job and has left at a high point.

What's the general public response to Hasek's appointment and Silhavy stepping down?

Mixed, A lot of people see him as yesterdays man and a step backwards. Some see it as an old head that can galvanise the team. There was a bit of unrest in the last camp with some players breaking curfew and there is a feeling that Silhavy was a bit of a soft touch. 

The Slavia assistant Jaroslav Kostl has moved as his assistant which might help, a working knowledge of the current Czech league and has been involved in the last few European campaigns. 

12 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mixed, A lot of people see him as yesterdays man and a step backwards. Some see it as an old head that can galvanise the team. There was a bit of unrest in the last camp with some players breaking curfew and there is a feeling that Silhavy was a bit of a soft touch. 

The Slavia assistant Jaroslav Kostl has moved as his assistant which might help, a working knowledge of the current Czech league and has been involved in the last few European campaigns. 

Perception is a funny thing. I remember Silhavy from Euro 2020 and had him marked down as arrogant after a fairly blunt dismissal of Scotland until his more recent decision and explanation around standing down. I can see that approximately 50% of the Czech squad is currently home based so Kostl could be important.

Did the association go into any detail as to why they chose Hasek and who were the other candidates? He has huge experience, but hasn't been working for a wee while (since April-2022 apparently). 🤔

6 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Perception is a funny thing. I remember Silhavy from Euro 2020 and had him marked down as arrogant after a fairly blunt dismissal of Scotland until his more recent decision and explanation around standing down. I can see that approximately 50% of the Czech squad is currently home based so Kostl could be important.

Did the association go into any detail as to why they chose Hasek and who were the other candidates? He has huge experience, but hasn't been working for a wee while (since April-2022 apparently). 🤔

There was rumours of Franco Foda who was the Austrian coach.

But domestically, the young coaches like Trpisovski and maybe even Vesely of  Bohemians are still early enough in their careers that they could work in bigger gigs than the Czech national team. The other domestic managers capable have already been the national team manager more recently. 

6 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

There was rumours of Franco Foda who was the Austrian coach.

But domestically, the young coaches like Trpisovski and maybe even Vesely of  Bohemians are still early enough in their careers that they could work in bigger gigs than the Czech national team. The other domestic managers capable have already been the national team manager more recently. 

I found it hard to warm to Foda. I remember him coming across as a bit of a neat freak, maybe a bit OCD. He was the man in charge of Austria's implosion when Scotland finished ahead of them in World Cup qualification. 😁 - although admittedly did quite well before that at Euro 2020. He did quite poorly at FC Zurich, although not sure if there is mitigation around that. I believe he was in charge when Hearts played them in the Europa League. 

I've enjoyed keeping an eye out for Slavia in Europe under Trpisovski. I'd have thought maybe he would go to the Bundesliga and maybe take up the Czech National job afterwards. I don't know too much about him so I can't say if he would've been a good fit or if he was even interested in the job.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I found it hard to warm to Foda. I remember him coming across as a bit of a neat freak, maybe a bit OCD. He was the man in charge of Austria's implosion when Scotland finished ahead of them in World Cup qualification. 😁 - although admittedly did quite well before that at Euro 2020. He did quite poorly at FC Zurich, although not sure if there is mitigation around that. I believe he was in charge when Hearts played them in the Europa League. 

I've enjoyed keeping an eye out for Slavia in Europe under Trpisovski. I'd have thought maybe he would go to the Bundesliga and maybe take up the Czech National job afterwards. I don't know too much about him so I can't say if he would've been a good fit or if he was even interested in the job.

He never played football and worked in a bar while coaching kids and made his way through coaching setups at a couple of Prague teams and becoming manager of Viktoria Zizkov, the 5th team in Prague. He then moved to Bohemians and then across the road to Slavia. 

He has had his hands tied with the club continually selling the best players every year but still manages to turn players in to gems every season. This season as been difficult due to the heath issues Number one keeper Ondrej Kolar has had since he was booted in the face against Rangers, Hes made brief comebacks over the last two years but his deputy, Mandous just isn't up to it. They have just signed Stanek from Plzen, the former Everton youth is now the Czech national team goalkeeper. 

23 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

He never played football and worked in a bar while coaching kids and made his way through coaching setups at a couple of Prague teams and becoming manager of Viktoria Zizkov, the 5th team in Prague. He then moved to Bohemians and then across the road to Slavia. 

He has had his hands tied with the club continually selling the best players every year but still manages to turn players in to gems every season. This season as been difficult due to the heath issues Number one keeper Ondrej Kolar has had since he was booted in the face against Rangers, Hes made brief comebacks over the last two years but his deputy, Mandous just isn't up to it. They have just signed Stanek from Plzen, the former Everton youth is now the Czech national team goalkeeper. 

Sounds like he'd have been your choice for NT manager. Are you optimistic for Euro 2024? Portugal, Turkey and Playoff-C.

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Sounds like he'd have been your choice for NT manager. Are you optimistic for Euro 2024? Portugal, Turkey and Playoff-C.

I'm glad he's stayed at Slavia for now, he has been learning English so he clearly see's himself as being good enough to move to a bigger league. 

I think they will do ok, they are a good, functional team but lack an x-factor, good enough to get through the group stages but will struggle against a France or England, so with favourable draws, they could reach the quarter finals.