Menzel's Czech Fitba Thread

Menzel

An unnamed Slavia player has failed a mandatory Covid test in the lead-up to the return of the Czech league this weekend. 

As a result, todays friendly has been cancelled and the club is waiting on confirmation on whether the first league game back for Slavia will go ahead as planned, which is currently scheduled  a week from today.

On 19/05/2020 at 12:56, diegomarahenry said:

An unnamed Slavia player has failed a mandatory Covid test in the lead-up to the return of the Czech league this weekend. 

As a result, todays friendly has been cancelled and the club is waiting on confirmation on whether the first league game back for Slavia will go ahead as planned, which is currently scheduled  a week from today.

The first full round of Czech league fixtures returns today with four fixtures going ahead. All are televised through O2 CZ so will be available to watch on dodgy streaming sites. 

This weekends card, if anyone is interested in viewing a game kicks off tomorrow afternoon at 1pm UK time. The 5pm kick-off is Plzen V. Mlada Boleslav and the Saturday evening game is Slavia at home to 3rd place Jablonic, Kick-off is 7pm

Sundays highlights are Bohemians v Dynamo Ceske Budejovice at 3pm and Sparta away to Karvina at 5pm

They also have a midweek card. 

https://www.fortunaliga.cz/rozpis-zapasu/2020?type=1&id_stage=1&month=0&round=27

Some images from last week

Bohemians fans made every effort

EZDA0rLWoAIl6Ya.thumb.jpg.05aee1fb0dc097e178f691757da5035f.jpg

EZDA0rNWoAgkopT.thumb.jpg.1680c8738218c72c6122f1408bc79eb2.jpg

Including making their own platform on a trailer

EZXfYT0XkAYHBmS.jpg.b56bd2e9f919334821020c9fdd3a2316.jpg

Slavia fans have became famous for the after match salute, which has enabled me to leave at the final whistle and get a reasonably empty tram for about three seasons now

EZkusu6WkAIueoM.jpg.379cc1a105b5846e09e3e4993bb76625.jpg

They had a greatly reduced, socially distanced version last night

EZkuw2EXkAE7r1Z.jpg.bd1e927d08e913cc9023cd57123e38bc.jpg

Tonight sees a Prague darby, Bohemians v Sparta, Bohemians have been flying since the restart and Sparta have been fairly inconsistent and it has been a decent game so far. Bohemians are close to a top six place, possibly at the expense of Sparta

Tomorrow sees Slavia v. Plzen at 6pm. Slavia are currently eight points clear of Plzen with three games left pre-split and six games post split. 

The last games before the split were today, the league now splits in to three sections Top six, middle four and bottom six. The top six play each other again once. 

The middle four play-off, 7th play 10th and 8th play ninth home and away. The winners of the two ties then play each other in a two legged semi-final. The winner then plays a final against the team that finishes fifth for a Europa league place. 

The bottom six play each other once, The team that finishes bottom goes straight down, Teams finishing in 14th and 15th play the team 2nd and 3rd in the second tier home and away. If you win the tie you are in the top league the following year. 

Slavia ended the regular season six points clear at the top, drawing two of their final three matches, fortunately one was to second place Plzen. Sparta managed some decent form after the restart and pulled themselves up to third

Bohemians defeat to Sparta ended their bid for top six but managed to consolidate a place in the middle four and their form may see them qualify for Europe.

There are four teams realistically caught up in the relegation fight with Pribram two points adrift.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight, Slavia beat Plzen 1-0 at Eden to all but clinch the Czech title. Slavia are now 9 points clear with 3 games remaining. with a +13 goal difference over second place Plzen. 

They allowed 4000 fans in to the stadium, the second round of fixtures where a reduced number of fans were admitted. 

EbTYWO6WoAE2sMB.jpg.f12e154079fcf41a1974204989d2ef12.jpg

EbTXf_kXkAkPmOz.jpg.f5e48d698c469ded2d94faef5fcc57f1.jpg

Social distancing went to f**k

• 2 weeks later...

The last game of the top end of the Czech league concluded yesterday. Slavia confirmed champions a few weeks ago but were presented the trophy last night after a 0-0 draw with Sparta. It has now been four years since the last defeat for Slavia in a Prague derby. The title was Slavia's 20th which entitles them to add a second gold star above their badge. After 35 league games, they conceded only 12 goals. Unsurprisingly, Goalkeeper Ondrej Kolar won player of the year after breaking the domestic clean sheet record in a season. Beating Petr Cech's record. Jindrich Trpisovsky was voted coach of the year. Petar Musa was joint top scorer of the Czech league with 14 goals. 

Slavia loan player Tomas Soucek has been putting in impressive numbers at West Ham and is likely to stay in the Premier League next season. 

Plzen join Slavia in the Champions league, Sparta and Jablonec enter the Europa league. Sparta also won the Mol cup. Mlada Boleslav pipped Bohemians to the Europa league play-off place and will now play Slovan Liberec. 

Due to an outbreak of Coronavirus in Karvina, several players tested positive, so that no team would be at a disadvantage, all the remaining relegation group fixtures were moved and will resume on the 23rd of July.

Currently in the Czech second tier, Pardubice sit top with two games remaining. 4 points behind are Menzels Brno and Dukla in third. 

Top go straight up, second and third play off against 14th and 15th in the top flight. 

EcbXl9yXQAMwNpH.jpg.22ebfac8e9f2408e2c44b07f9e202d77.jpg

Anyone familiar with Prague will recognize where this is

EcedFtzX0AENI71.jpg.61a67935c7b386b7ba33f3c0ff0527dc.jpgEcekEm_XQAADUnx.jpg.d34ed4520ea6a1ff092c83465f82734d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm headed for Prague first week in August, I see Bohemians are at home.  Will it be more difficult to convince my Mrs to attend or actually to do so? 

On 22/07/2020 at 20:38, itzdrk said:

I'm headed for Prague first week in August, I see Bohemians are at home.  Will it be more difficult to convince my Mrs to attend or actually to do so? 

It'll be fairly easy and you can get  a beer in the ground. One of my mates goes regularly and he sent me a picture of a Ska band set up, playing on the terrace at a game. Never happened when I've been there but they are a bit of a mental club.

Mascot is shit though

Screenshot-2020-01-18-at-20_11.02-1110x684.thumb.png.b5580c39fbfe05d26cbd70edae58a150.png

Ground is easy enough to get to, IP Pavlova is one of the main transport hubs for trams and metro and you can get a tram from there. Slavia are playing friendlies then as well that weekend. 

3 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

Are fans allowed back in stadiums? I'm in Prague from the 13th to the 16th. Only game I really see is Slavia vs Austria Vienna but it's half 2 on the Friday.

Yes, limited to 5000, Slavia may sell out but you also have Bohemians, Dukla, Sparta and Zizkov in Prague. They are having a bit of a spike currently so restrictions may be reintroduced. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Yes, limited to 5000, Slavia may sell out but you also have Bohemians, Dukla, Sparta and Zizkov in Prague. They are having a bit of a spike currently so restrictions may be reintroduced. 

It's just a friendly when I'm there so can't imagine there'd be a big crowd, plus the kick off time isn't ideal for many I'd assume. Then again, being a friendly, they might just play it at the training ground or whatever. I just assumed it was in the stadium.

Not good news about the spike. In a way though, I'd probably rather my holiday was cancelled. Booked it a few weeks before lockdown here. 

2 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

It's just a friendly when I'm there so can't imagine there'd be a big crowd, plus the kick off time isn't ideal for many I'd assume. Then again, being a friendly, they might just play it at the training ground or whatever. I just assumed it was in the stadium.

Not good news about the spike. In a way though, I'd probably rather my holiday was cancelled. Booked it a few weeks before lockdown here. 

It is a spike on Czech levels, which means it gas gone from averaging around 50 cases a day to between 150-250 cases a day since the start of June. They have lifted most restrictions now apart from the limit on public gatherings

How has the relegation issue been resolved? By some of the criticism of the likes of Jan Rezek (now at Příbram IIRC you'd think that they were being asked to enter an ICU ward in Bergamo from February) rather than travelling to a stadium in some mining town dump, play for 90 minutes and get out again. 

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

How has the relegation issue been resolved? By some of the criticism of the likes of Jan Rezek (now at Příbram IIRC you'd think that they were being asked to enter an ICU ward in Bergamo from February) rather than travelling to a stadium in some mining town dump, play for 90 minutes and get out again. 

Because the final relegation group games couldn't be completed to start the play-offs and all fixtures were to be complete by the 2nd August to allow the 20/21 season to start on the 23rd August, they decided to cancel relegation from the top flight, there wasn't a significant gap between any clubs. 

They promoted champions Pardubice and Brno creating a top 18 for next season, League one will only have 14 teams. Dukla was the only team in a play-off place to be shafted by the whole scenario but they finished 8 points behind Brno. 

https://www.fnliga.cz/clanek/5171-ligovy-vybor-ukoncil-soutezni-rocnik-2019-20-pristi-sezona-f-nl-se-ctrnacti-tymy

It means that the mighty Stadion Pod Vinici will be gracing the top flight next season

pod_vinici02.thumb.jpg.d45c79a5137418a0bf06ce555cd8071c.jpg

I had a look to see if they were still playing there as I remembered someone mention they were moving, I found the following, they are turning their junior standard ground with a 3000 capacity in to a 5000 all seater stadium that could be a model for any club looking at modernization. keeping the current main stand and having shallow, covered seating