EOS First Div

EOS First Division certainly looks like a different table than in recent years, Ormiston sitting top alongside Peebles and closely followed by Duns.

I see there is a top of the table clash between Peebles & Ormiston this weekend so predictions should be interesting.

I think Ormiston will be confident after their 7-1 demolition over Hawick Royal Albert.

It'll certainly be an interesting game.

What's the predictions for the league?? Who's going to win it!?

Leagues of 8 & 9 are far from ideal, but hopefully it's only a temporary sticking-plaster for this season? Going forward the EOS League has to decide if its future direction is recruiting new clubs (e.g. to get back to 2 divisions of 10 and then beyond), or if its future direction is continuing to shrink (in which case it'll soon be a single larger division at the rate things are going). LL and Hibs/Berwick quitting has hit hard.

One consolation of the 8-team division is that - with at least 2 promotion slots and playing 4 times - things should stay competitive right 'til the end.

Leagues of 8 & 9 are far from ideal, but hopefully it's only a temporary sticking-plaster for this season? Going forward the EOS League has to decide if its future direction is recruiting new clubs (e.g. to get back to 2 divisions of 10 and then beyond), or if its future direction is continuing to shrink (in which case it'll soon be a single larger division at the rate things are going). LL and Hibs/Berwick quitting has hit hard.

One consolation of the 8-team division is that - with at least 2 promotion slots and playing 4 times - things should stay competitive right 'til the end.

which teams would be join EoS???? (maybe Coupar Hearts or another Kingom of Caledonia club?)

EOS football is fucked IMO. The future looks bleak

I agree, but strangely, it should actually be thriving more than it was pre- LL if you think about it. Previously there was nothing to aspire to other than win a championship and go nowhere. Now you can win eos and go into LL ( I know terms and conditions apply). As such, the eos could potentially be in more of a position of 'strength' than it was before. But it'll need to sort out pretty quick what it wants to be- two leagues or one.

I agree that 8 teams in a league isn't ideal... playing teams 4 times each in a season isn't exactly great. You end up making new mates in other teams because you see them so much!

I think introducing teams into the league next season is the way to go. Albeit, they should have to start in the first division and work their way up, but I'm sure there are teams with adequate facilities or have the ability to install adequate facilities (fence round the pitch, good standard of pitch etc) to play EOS. I personally would love to see more teams added to strengthen the league again following the introduction of the LL.

It is good to see different teams doing well in the league, and I'm sure that will continue. There have been various odd results so far this year and I'm sure that will keep happening.

How feasible is it for amateur teams to make a move into EOS?

It's early days, but from what I have seen of Peebles, Ormiston and Duns, they could hold their own in the Premier Division, with Peebles having knocked out 2 Premier sides to reach the Alex Jack final.

Heriot Watt appear to be getting over their traditional slow start, and look likely to be in the mix at the business end of the season.

At the moment, Ormiston look the strongest to me, and the most likely league winners, having strengthened their squad very effectively.

I think introducing teams into the league next season is the way to go. Albeit, they should have to start in the first division and work their way up, but I'm sure there are teams with adequate facilities or have the ability to install adequate facilities (fence round the pitch, good standard of pitch etc) to play EOS. I personally would love to see more teams added to strengthen the league again following the introduction of the LL.

How feasible is it for amateur teams to make a move into EOS?

I'm sure any new clubs would have to start in EOS1. In terms of how feasible it is, I suspect it depends on how the issue of facilities is treated. If any new club has to have the facilities in place at the point of joining - and if those facilities include things like enclosure, railed park and a good pavilion - then it would leave very few possibilities as clubs don't need those things in the Amateurs and they take time+money. However, it could be the case that clubs were admitted on the basis of their plans and given a couple of years to meet them? If a club didn't fulfil the promises they could be put out. That might be a more realistic method.

Might any small Juniors be interested? Perhaps for pyramid reasons?

Links Utd are about the only first-team club to have applied in recent times but not been admitted. Hutchison Vale and Gala Rovers both did so, but later merged with existing EOS League clubs. Possibly also Salvesons, they were mentioned once, but you often hear rumours about clubs applying who evidently never actually do.

EDIT: Yes, Links and HV were unsuccessful in 2008, and Gala Rovers in 2005. Before that you have to go back over 20yrs to Telman Star and Loanhead in the early 1990s. Majority clubs which have applied for EOSL in recent years have been successful.

In order to survive the EOS league must either lower the criteria for new clubs to join, or recruit existing Junior clubs into the fold.

Neither will happen, and the EOS set up is in danger of slowly dying out. It's already looked upon as massively inferior to what it once was.

Merger with East Region Juniors will be the end result eventually I suspect.

In order to survive the EOS league must either lower the criteria for new clubs to join, or recruit existing Junior clubs into the fold.

Neither will happen, and the EOS set up is in danger of slowly dying out. It's already looked upon as massively inferior to what it once was.

Merger with East Region Juniors will be the end result eventually I suspect.

Might any small Juniors be interested? Perhaps for pyramid reasons?

I think that clubs like cupar hearts would join EoSL.... but.... junior clubs? I dont think that clubs like bo´Ness, hill of beath, BRA or linlithgow wish join EoSL whe they can join LL.... Im thinking in amateur clubs.... but i agree, 8 clubs in each division isnt a good idea

(any idea????)

Fewer than 16 clubs, you're likely talking 1 big division.

Precisely 16 clubs you've a choice between 1 big division (30 games) or 2 small ones (28 games).

More than 16 clubs, you're likely talking 2 smaller divisions. Ideally you'd want at least 20 clubs e.g. for 2 divisions of 10 (27 games).

It's 17-19 clubs that is 'difficult territory', arguably.

I think that clubs like cupar hearts would join EoSL.... but.... junior clubs? I dont think that clubs like bo´Ness, hill of beath, BRA or linlithgow wish join EoSL whe they can join LL.... Im thinking in amateur clubs.... but i agree, 8 clubs in each division isnt a good idea

(any idea????)

I was meaning the "smaller" clubs at the lower end of the Junior grade. Clearly the bigger clubs wouldn't move. But two leagues of 10 wouldn't be that bad so recruiting 3 clubs would solve the problem.

Unless of course more leave, then it might become a farce.

I was meaning the "smaller" clubs at the lower end of the Junior grade. Clearly the bigger clubs wouldn't move. But two leagues of 10 wouldn't be that bad so recruiting 3 clubs would solve the problem.

Unless of course more leave, then it might become a farce.

Is there a possibility of more teams leaving? Surely the next step for EOS would be to bring in clubs after the LL was introduced?

I would have thought the board and currently in talks with clubs / making arrangements to increase the league sizes next season! I hope so anyway.

Is there a possibility of more teams leaving? Surely the next step for EOS would be to bring in clubs after the LL was introduced?

I would have thought the board and currently in talks with clubs / making arrangements to increase the league sizes next season! I hope so anyway.

I would assume the more ambitious EOS clubs are putting in the work now to get things in place to apply for LL, or fight for promotion to it etc?! But that's just me guessing, maybe they are all perfectly happy in the EOS league.

I find the entry criteria a little bit strange. I understand they need a minimum standard etc otherwise it becomes a joke. But current teams often just have a bog standard pavilion with a pitch. No railing or stands or gates or disabled facilities etc. Kelso springs to mind.

That is in NO WAY a criticism of Kelso or any existing clubs by the way before anyone starts!

I would assume the more ambitious EOS clubs are putting in the work now to get things in place to apply for LL, or fight for promotion to it etc?! But that's just me guessing, maybe they are all perfectly happy in the EOS league.

I find the entry criteria a little bit strange. I understand they need a minimum standard etc otherwise it becomes a joke. But current teams often just have a bog standard pavilion with a pitch. No railing or stands or gates or disabled facilities etc. Kelso springs to mind.

That is in NO WAY a criticism of Kelso or any existing clubs by the way before anyone starts!

Yeah I hear you. In fairness, Kelso's pitch was really good actually and the pitch was fences (Half fenced, the club side was roped) but it was enclosed to an extent.

Their pavilion was also their own with an alcohol license, which gave it an EOS feel about it... but it did highlight how easy it could be for other clubs to follow suit.

It's also near enough impossible to actually find the EOS entry criteria! I've searched a few times and can't find a single thing.

I know it will have been asked before, but does anyone know where I can find it?

I don't think they're online. Ideally they would be, IMO.

These are SOS criteria which possibly aren't dissimilar, perhaps laxer on enclosure/railing:

http://www.southofscotlandfootballleague.co.uk/LeagueDocuments/index/page:3

Ground Criteria for Clubs applying for membership of Southern Counties FA

and South of Scotland Football League

These criteria are minimum standards and are based on the Scottish FA Club Licensing scheme…..

• All League matches must be played on the same declared “home” pitch, using the same pitch dimensions, with the same surface throughout the season.
  • Cup matches would normally be played on the same pitch but in exceptional circumstances may be played on another “recognised” South League pitch.
  • Clubs should have use of their declared “home” pitch for whatever dates their fixtures are scheduled.
  • There should be safe access to and from the ground for Teams and Officials including nearby car parking facilities.
  • Access should be available to visiting Clubs and Officials a minimum of 60 minutes prior to scheduled kick off time.
  • The dimensions of the field of play must adhere to minimum and maximum sizes as set by Scottish FA in compliance with the Laws of the Game. The field of play must be a minimum of 90m in length and 56m in width. Best practise is 105 x 68m.
  • The field of play surface shall be maintained in good condition for football.
  • The field of play shall have consistent markings throughout. Markings should not be more than 12cm wide. Markings should be on top of the surface and not be made by “burning” away the surface.
  • There must be protected access to the field of play for teams and match officials.
  • An adequate pitch perimeter protection system shall surround the playing area separating it from spectators. This may be by use of rails, barriers or ropes. Players and officials should be provided with adequate safety from verbal or physical threat.
  • There should be adequate space for assistant referees between the playing area and the pitch perimeter protection system.
  • There should be two “Technical areas”, clearly marked, immediately next to the field of play, with seating, each area to provide shelter from the weather for 10 people.
  • There should be separate dressing rooms for each Club (home and visiting).
  • Each dressing room should have sufficient seating and clothes hanging for 20 people.
  • Each Club should have access to 5 showers without having to share with the opposing club.
  • There should be adequate provision of toilets.
  • There should be a separate dressing room for match Officials. This should be separate from the team’s dressing rooms, but close by.
  • The Officials dressing room should have sufficient seating and clothes hanging for 4 people.
  • The Officials should have access to a separate shower to those used by the teams.
  • Ideally the Officials dressing room should have a table included.
  • All dressing rooms should be free from damp, secure and maintained in a good state of decoration.
  • Clubs should be able to demonstrate that consideration has been given to the safe way spectators arrive and leave the ground.
  • There should be access available to the ground for emergency service vehicles at all times.

Archived