Leaders' Debates

ForzaDundee

It's important to understand that during the last election both Labour and Conservative had collectively the lowest voting share ever, and it looks like their share will be even lower this time round. As much as people (who generally vote for the big 2) like to complain. It makes elections somewhat rigged if only the big establishment parties are allowed to participate in debates. After all, I could be an independent or a member of a minor party with the greatest policies in the world, but if I've got no exposure, then no one will vote for me. Having equal exposure is a fundamental part of a free and fair election.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A UKIP member with the name, Iain Bonner-Fomes tweeted: 'Haven't we heard enough of SNP for the last two years ? It's been all about them #skynewstonight'

And his Twitter description? 'UKIP is Your Party.. We need you to join us and donate if you can. 25% and rising!! Take back your country from those who deny you a voice.

Follow Rangers wherever '

How suitably clichéd.

After all, I could be an independent or a member of a minor party with the greatest policies in the world, but if I've got no exposure, then no one will vote for me. Having equal exposure is a fundamental part of a free and fair election.

I would agree if these parties were standing in all seats, however the minor parties and independents have no chance of forming a government, even if they get a really good vote. Just by the virtue that they could not get enough seats. These need to be done at a local level. Would you really want to listen to someone who is an independent who is standing for the Portsmouth North seat? In your ideal world it would be some debate, I would hate to think how many different parties stand, we would have a panel of 100+.

OK you may well disagree with the 1st past the post system, that is another debate, but that is how it stands, whether you like it or not.

UKIP are standing in many seats in England and in theory (only theory) with as many candidates standing could scrape through with a majority of the seats. So therefore they are a major party in the sense they could win a general election. I think the four as it stands is about right.

As I have stated before, yes the SNP are a well supported party, but even if everyone in Scotland voted for them, they could not win a majority at Westminster, only what is it 59 seats, no where near enough of 300 something needed. Therefore in the scheme of things, the SNP are not a major party for the General Election, just a local party.

I would agree if these parties were standing in all seats, however the minor parties and independents have no chance of forming a government, even if they get a really good vote. Just by the virtue that they could not get enough seats. These need to be done at a local level. Would you really want to listen to someone who is an independent who is standing for the Portsmouth North seat? In your ideal world it would be some debate, I would hate to think how many different parties stand, we would have a panel of 100+.

OK you may well disagree with the 1st past the post system, that is another debate, but that is how it stands, whether you like it or not.

UKIP are standing in many seats in England and in theory (only theory) with as many candidates standing could scrape through with a majority of the seats. So therefore they are a major party in the sense they could win a general election. I think the four as it stands is about right.

As I have stated before, yes the SNP are a well supported party, but even if everyone in Scotland voted for them, they could not win a majority at Westminster, only what is it 59 seats, no where near enough of 300 something needed. Therefore in the scheme of things, the SNP are not a major party for the General Election, just a local party.

post-43879-0-64689900-1413278733.jpg

How many Green party candidates will there be? I would suggest enough to form a government and as likely to as UKIP.

How many Green party candidates will there be? I would suggest enough to form a government and as likely to as UKIP.

Well if they could, then yes they should be in it as well then. I didn't think that the Greens stood in that many seats, however I may be wrong on that.

No it isnt. What utter nonsense.

I agree that equal exposure is not sensible but fairer exposure is drastically needed.

UKIP have been given free reign - simply because they've managed to buy their way into the political mainstream.

Funding is another big issue in terms of true democracy.

Funding is another big issue in terms of true democracy.

Well, depends what you mean.

Is it ideal rich party supporters like Brian Souter can buy policies for money? No.

But how do you deal with that?

Are ukip standing in Scotland at all? And if so in how many constituencies?

May have just made this up, but I'm sure during the This Week by-election special, the UKIP MEP said they were standing in every single constituency?

Northern Ireland?

I'm assuming not Northern Ireland!

But if they were to contest every other seat, they'd actually be fielding more candidates than any other party as I believe they still contest the speakers seat, whilst the 3 big parties don't.

I'm assuming not Northern Ireland!

But if they were to contest every other seat, they'd actually be fielding more candidates than any other party as I believe they still contest the speakers seat, whilst the 3 big parties don't.

They have stood in council elections in NI (got one cooncillor I think) stood in the Euros too. No idea what they are up to at the GE.

Well, inviting Farage to the leader's debates was ridiculous. Utterly shambolic. They have 1 MP. Nine other parties (NINE) have more MPs than UKIP. An additional three parties have as many MPs as UKIP. Other than polling data, what reasoning is there for inviting Farage on but not the leaders of the other parties? Four other parties have more card carrying members than UKIP.

The argument that it's a UK election and so only UK party leaders does not stack up. Tories, Labour and Liberals do not stand in Northern Ireland, so you cannot say these parties represent the whole UK. Farage isn't going to be PM. They should invite all the other parties in or do away with the whole thing.

Plucking one party that has already had far more coverage in the media than their position warrants is just undemocratic.

Archived