Players of the season so far...

jimmy grimble

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amateur is pish this season. Prem 1 is pathetic.

Why aren't these lads playing a better level?

Some of them dont want to play at a better level, I receive phone calls and texts every week asking about our players ( tollcross) from Lowland, Junior and EOS teams, guys in our team are happy playing with their mates,most of them have work commintements and young familys.

I know players from Newcraighall, Herriot Vale also receive calls and texts about most of their players,

I wouldnt say it was Pathetic, if honest, i would agrue that alot of the Prem 1 teams would match most EOS teams, or alot of the Prem 1 players would defo play most weeks for most EOS teams

Some of them dont want to play at a better level, I receive phone calls and texts every week asking about our players ( tollcross) from Lowland, Junior and EOS teams, guys in our team are happy playing with their mates,most of them have work commintements and young familys.

I know players from Newcraighall, Herriot Vale also receive calls and texts about most of their players,

I wouldnt say it was Pathetic, if honest, i would agrue that alot of the Prem 1 teams would match most EOS teams, or alot of the Prem 1 players would defo play most weeks for most EOS teams

Pathetic is maybe a tad strong... but for the past few seasons, the amateur standard in Prem 1 has been good and strong, whereas this season it's fairly evident that's not the case.

I don't think you can argue that point.

I'm surprised Newcraighall and Heriot Vale are receiving phonecalls given their current league positions... and Tollcross, some of your lads are ex EOS/Junior players so it's not surprising they could make a move back to it... One has to question though, if they're capable of playing every Saturday at amateur, is it possible they don't want to make the move up because they like it easy?

Pathetic is maybe a tad strong... but for the past few seasons, the amateur standard in Prem 1 has been good and strong, whereas this season it's fairly evident that's not the case.

I'm surprised Newcraighall and Heriot Vale are receiving phonecalls given their current league positions... and Tollcross, some of your lads are ex EOS/Junior players so it's not surprising they could make a move back to it... One has to question though, if they're capable of playing every Saturday at amateur, is it possible they don't want to make the move up because they like it easy?

Cracking Point....... thats a question for those guys and ill put that to them just to find out the answer for myself, personally i wanted to try and play at the highest level i could, i know a few of them were treated harshly before hand but sometimes you get that and have to get on with it, a few of our guys work some saturdays and are unable to make games, which means they have to work extra hard to get back in the squad.

Asbo you boys have signed wee pedro? If you boys don't win the league then just call it quits

yeah mate, Peter's a cracking player! Surprised we managed to get him when he left Preston but their loss is our gain! Long way to go in the league but keep playing the way we are and I don't see why we cant win the league!

Don't think it's that they like it easy, think a lot of guys don't like how serious EOS and lowland league is, I take my football serious but at they levels there's a lot more expected in regards to making training etc! Also if they can play for the likes of tollcross and win trophies or join say the likes of preston and battle relegation some people would understandably choose fighting for trophies and prizes over being pumped majority of the season! There also comes the travelling part with a lot of border teams in the EOS and lowland leagues!

I'm surprised Newcraighall and Heriot Vale are receiving phonecalls given their current league positions...

Can still have good enough players that could cut it EOS! I play 2nd division ams and I reckon a couple boys in my team and a few I've played against this season could easily cope at that level..

Don't think it's that they like it easy, think a lot of guys don't like how serious EOS and lowland league is, I take my football serious but at they levels there's a lot more expected in regards to making training etc! Also if they can play for the likes of tollcross and win trophies or join say the likes of preston and battle relegation some people would understandably choose fighting for trophies and prizes over being pumped majority of the season! There also comes the travelling part with a lot of border teams in the EOS and lowland leagues!

EOS isn't more serious than amateur. I think most players would agree they have just as much banter at EOS as they do playing amateur. I think what you're really emphasising is that some players don't like the fact the standard is always fairly high. Amateur is great fun when every other week you get to pump a team with minimal effort... which I find boring to be honest. Players should be wanting to push themselves at higher levels all the time and maintain a consistently high standard. Unless they have work commitments and young families and can't always commit 100%, as Scorer said. Understandably then, amateur is more suitable.

So with that in mind, how much of an achievement is winning trophies at amateur when the standard is as low as it is. I'm happy to say that the standard is low because most boys from the teams who performed well last season have moved onwards and upwards. Heriot Vale lost players to higher teams as I'm sure a few others did too. I think Tollcross held onto most players and strengthened somewhat. No idea what happened to fourth placed Fernieside.

Either way, standard is certainly lower and the league doesn't seem as good as it has been in recent years.

Tollcross are a good team that could cut it in the east of Scotland league IMO but they have only played 5 games and have by no means won the league yet although they would favourites in most peoples eyes

Correct Jim,

we have only played 5 games, league is far from over,

Archived