Poland vs Scotland

But tonight's game is the first of the "mini-group", and these games are where it is decided. Until we have played the poles and Irish we can't say who is most likely to progress.

I would put Georgia in the mix too. They won't finish in the top 4 but they won't lose every game to the top 4 either.

It's Poland winning the Germany game outside this mini group you cite that's the problem. I thought Germany would win every game and Gibraltar to lose every game, creating a 4 team group, that's not happened. Hence the mini group theory is blown out the water.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's way too early to make these kind of judgments. Your doom mongering after Poland winning on Saturday was more than enough.

Let some football be played before delving into what we need from who and where.

I'd agree with this. It comes down to your home games, and those are the ones I'm most worried about. We seem quite adept at competing away from home and playing tight, but with a threat.

At home, I'm concerned we won't be able to break down Poland/Ireland, which could be our undoing.

I would put Georgia in the mix too. They won't finish in the top 4 but they won't lose every game to the top 4 either.

I'd be astonished if they managed to take anything off anyone. They were absolutely howling against us.

I'd be astonished if they managed to take anything off anyone. They were absolutely howling against us.

They were about 2 minutes away from getting a draw against Ireland at home. I'd be very surprised if Georgia don't manage to get at least a draw against Poland, us or Ireland in the 6 games they play.

The results haven't been kind to us so far from the other matches. A defeat tonight would make 2nd place long odds against.

I'd agree with this. It comes down to your home games, and those are the ones I'm most worried about. We seem quite adept at competing away from home and playing tight, but with a threat.

At home, I'm concerned we won't be able to break down Poland/Ireland, which could be our undoing.

This.

I'd want to see Jordan Rhodes brought back into the squad for those games - even if its just coming on when we need a winner or an equaliser. We don't create enough chances against opposition who are happy to hit us on the break.

Its the thing that's often overlooked about the Smith/McLeish era: they got very lucky with goals. The Faddy goal in Paris is just one of those goals that is f**k all down to management/tactics. Also the late winner against Georgia could easily have not come despite us applying pressure. We were in a similar position against Norway at home under Burley and the sitter falls to Iwelumo.

Those key turning points were down to sheer luck and that's particularly important when there are so few fixtures (i.e international football). Too many fans forget that.

This.

I'd want to see Jordan Rhodes brought back into the squad for those games - even if its just coming on when we need a winner or an equaliser. We don't create enough chances against opposition who are happy to hit us on the break.

Its the thing that's often overlooked about the Smith/McLeish era: they got very lucky with goals. The Faddy goal in Paris is just one of those goals that is f**k all down to management/tactics. Also the late winner against Georgia could easily have not come despite us applying pressure. We were in a similar position against Norway at home under Burley and the sitter falls to Iwelumo.

Those key turning points were down to sheer luck and that's particularly important when there are so few fixtures (i.e international football). Too many fans forget that.

We might struggle to get at them if they sit in for a draw. I don't see the ROI game being like that (think it will be end to end) but depending on what Poland need when they come here, they might well do what Georgia did, but do it far more effectively. Rhodes or another clinical finisher in the squad is always a no-brainer for me.

They were about 2 minutes away from getting a draw against Ireland at home. I'd be very surprised if Georgia don't manage to get at least a draw against Poland, us or Ireland in the 6 games they play.

The results haven't been kind to us so far from the other matches. A defeat tonight would make 2nd place long odds against.

You're not wrong, but in addition, they've had a total two shots on target in two games, one of those was their deflected goal against Ireland. If either Fletcher or Naismith had remembered what the big white rectangle at either end of Ibrox was for we could have taken three or four off them. In the end, we saw the game out pretty comfortably, I thought.

There was be a bit of chat about how negative and unpopular Ketsbaia was, which seemed to be true. Anyone dropping points to them can view it as a terrible result.

I really don't buy the Rhodes love in, but then, I also don't rate the Championship, which may be the issue there.

It's Poland winning the Germany game outside this mini group you cite that's the problem. I thought Germany would win every game and Gibraltar to lose every game, creating a 4 team group, that's not happened. Hence the mini group theory is blown out the water.

Still think it remains a pretty relevant model... mini group beginning but with a Poland head start virtue of a freak result.

Poland's win on Saturday essentially gives them 3 bonus points. Scotland need at least a draw tonight.

If Scotland can win, which I think is unlikely, it will completely turn the group on its head and negate Poland's win over Germany.

Think the best case, possible scenario is away win over Georgia, homes over Ireland and Poland, and away draws to Ireland and Poland. That would see Scotland 2nd in my opinion, though far easier said than done.

Realistically we need at least a draw tonight. A loss puts Poland 6 points ahead of us - in this scenario we are then looking for results to go our way and puts second place out of our hands.

Granted, we can only look to win the games we're playing, as indeed it should be - but with the way results have landed thus far, any mistakes will be compounded further.

4 points from Poland and Ireland will only be enough for 2nd if Poland drop points to Georgia or Ireland - neither of which we can rely on.

I want Reynolds to get his chance, he is fast, experienced and despite a very solid performance from him at the weekend, I think he is far superior to Grant Hanley. Who is fat, slow and too easily caught out.

This is all about having a excellent communication and understanding between the centre backs and if Greers prior association with Morrision gives that then I am happy for him to start ahead of Reynolds. Assuming we keep a clean sheet of course.

If not this is clearly anti-famous selection ruining Scotlands chances, yet again. Pawlett in for Naismith anyone?

But tonight's game is the first of the "mini-group", and these games are where it is decided. Until we have played the poles and Irish we can't say who is most likely to progress.

Totally agree with this view.

Archived