First quarter thread

With everybody having played everyone else we reach the first milestone of the season. How do you feel your team has started the season? How do have other teams played against you?

For us, we haven't been near our best for a full 90 minutes yet, we should be looking to score more goals and IMO this is from not taking our chances more than a failure to create. Defensively we have been sound with 6 clean sheets which is a surprise (we only got 7 all last season). I'm happy enough from what i have seen but everybody knows whats expected of us and not being top at this stage is disappointing. Credit to Forfar for their points total so far.

In terms of our new signings

Buchanan- rock at the back and great at organising those around him, we don't look like missing morris and are probably better off given the morris's performances dropped off when he knew he was going at the end of the season.

Urquhart- didn't look great vs stirling but much better last night until he was forced off.

Stirling- Injured pre-season and just worked his way into the side, played well vs stirling but wasn't really that involved last night.

Moffat - not got the goals expected from a player who has such a good record at this level but his link up play has been mostly good , looks a bit short in confidence but i'm happy enough that once he gets a couple of goals he'll kick on and be the 20 goal season player we know he can be.

Ugwu- at times you can easily see why he was at reading, but other times he looks a bit of a donkey, he has four goals already and thats a reasonable return so I'm more likely to say he has been a good addition.

Spence- ok not a new signing but he has stepped into the first team squad this season and done fantastic in the defensive mid role.

Teams i've seen,

Airdire- well for 45 mins anyway. Dire side, disorganised and error prone defensively, attacking play no better.

Stenny- again only a half- another dire side , more organised than airdrie but offered even less in attack, they are bound to struggle without major improvement.

Stirling- not a great side but better than the two above, they at least made scully make a save.

Ayr- generally looked better than last year but lacked a goalscorer, suspect they will be too reliant on ageing injury prone players. Reckon they will finish 4th again.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we base our performances on teams we've played against then Forfar and Morton would look like Barca and Real but neither are good footballing teams and neither will win the title.

Quite a slow start but once we get on with the next few games we'll create a gap and progress on our way to winning the league quite comfortably.

The best and worst teams I have seem are both Morton. A couple of weeks ago we demolished the league favourites. Against Brechin last week we were the worst team I have seem. Same personnel, same line up, night and day.

Most teams in this league can beat most other teams on their game. Consistency will win the league and at the moment we don't have any!

The best and worst teams I have seem are both Morton. A couple of weeks ago we demolished the league favourites. Against Brechin last week we were the worst team I have seem. Same personnel, same line up, night and day.

Most teams in this league can beat most other teams on their game. Consistency will win the league and at the moment we don't have any!

Ditto !!! ( only swap highlighted bit with Airdrie this week )

I'm fairly content with 19 points. We haven't really played that well yet and had one utterly abysmal performance at Cappielow, so to still be around the top of the league after that is good enough for me. There's been very little of the mad excitement that was a feature of many of our games early last season, but for the most part we've beenreasonablly effective if a wee bit dull to watch. Unlike some Pars fans, I never epected to walk it this season, and I'll probaby be quite happy if we're still in a tight contest at the top going into new year, even if we're still a point back as we are now.

Great start for Forfar though, and although they weren't amazing when they deervedly beat us, they looked to have enough variety to their play to suggest that they can compete effectively at the top. If they're able to maintain that home form they're not going to be too far behind anyone.

Our home results have been excellent, away from home we have been dreadful. This is mostly caused by failing to have a single defensive-minded midfielder in the squad able to break up opposition play. Without addressing that issue then we'll be no better than challengers for the play-offs.

Declan McManus is currently one of the best strikers in the division, Pepper has been a pretty decent addition. The likes of Stefan McCluskey brought in from the pub league below have been unsurprisingly rank though. We also signed two left-backs, neither of which are good enough for this level.

As far as opposition teams are concerned, Forfar looked better than any of our other opponents so far, Dunfermline were hopeless at Cappielow, while Stirling are every inch a midtable League Two outfit making up the numbers.

We showed a glimpse of promise in the 2nd half against Dunfermline on Friday night, night and day compared to away to Peterhead. More of that and we'll still have Roberts in May. More of our performance at Peterhead and he's gone by Christmas.

We've not been fantastic and we're one point off top spot and have kept six clean sheets. I think you've got to be pretty happy with that. Much like last season it's not always going to be a case of us being any good just being better than some of the driftwood most weeks.

Stenhousemuir targeted the league title before a ball was kicked by the way. Going to be an impressive turnaround from Mr Booth.

If we maintain our home from it'll be enough to make the playoffs fairly comfortably, but our away form will stop us challenging for the title. If the home form plummets as well we're fucked.

The defence is a mess under pressure - in large part due to individual defenders not being good enough but also due to the total lack of protection from midfield - and I fear that teams will realise that attacking us at Cappielow as they do at home will expose us horribly. We have enough quality in attack to break down teams which come and sit in, but if everyone stops doing that at Cappielow I'm afraid we'll be found out. If Forfar and Brechin can take the game to us, outplay us and pump us at Station Park and the Glebe, they can do the same at Cappielow.

Archived