ghostbusters 3

On 7/20/2016 at 16:14, EdgarusQPFC said:

I'm rather skeptical over it all, she hasn't deleted her account and it reeks of Publicity stunt to generate attention in the film. 

wiggo.png

It's not a bad film, not by any stretch of the imagination. The trailers looked awful and I'm not particularly keen on the "reboot" period we're going through (although, I've enjoyed some reboots).  I like the first Ghostbusters film - although I don't think it's an all-time classic (maybe not even Harold Ramis' best comedy of the 80s) - but the second one is largely forgettable, two or three memorable lines aside.

Really funny in places but other bits didn't work for me. In context the "cock shot" moment works and anyone who doesn't think Harold Ramis would have done exactly the same thing in those circumstances is to be ignored.  Personally I like both Kate McKinnon and Kirsten Wiig so they stood out as highlights. The cameos were okay, although a couple felt a bit forced.

Hit the mark in some places, missed it wildly in others. It is a fairly standard formulaic, by-the-numbers, modern comedy film and never quite escapes from the "SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE PRESENTS GHOSTBUSTERS" feel. It's an alright film (although in these current times films either have to be "8/9/10" or "1/2/3", there's seemingly no middle ground) that doesn't desecrate the original.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it earlier this afternoon and I didn't like it all that much. There's quite a lot to go into but on the main, the movie just wasn't very funny. I don't think there were any jokes, and I laughed out loud about four times. The most egregious example of this is Kate McKinnon as Jillian Holtzmann - I can't remember the last time I saw such an obnoxious, irritating character (maybe Chelsea Handler's turn in the wretched This Means War). All she does is mug at the camera and drop bad one-liners. Chris Hemworth's Kevin also stinks the place out.

The remaining characters were only okay, something that disappointed me given Kirsten Wiig's excellent showing in Bridesmaids. Leslie Jones was pretty decent as Patty and she was more than just the sassy, street-smart black woman from the trailer. Out to Bill Murray too for turning in one of the most uninterested cameos I've ever seen. I know detachment has been his schtick but he looks like he really couldn't be bothered to be there. The perceived rivalry he had with Wiig's Erin Gilbert seemed weird - he'd been in one scene denouncing the Ghostbusters' work, so why was she so keen to release the ghost to impress him? I didn't really get Rowan's motivations for bringing about the end of the world either (some people were mean to him?) and didn't really find him all that threatening (especially when compared to Gozer or Vigo the Carpathian). The storytelling was wanting in a lot of parts. All in all it was a pretty lousy experience.

The strange thing is, I can't understand why people would get so upset about this movie. There's absolutely nothing too it, there's nothing memorable about it, nothing stands out and everyone will have forgotten about it by the end of August. It's just a dumb Hollywood blockbuster that doesn't taint the original. Imagine being one of those brers campaigning online to downvote it or whatever. Get a life!

36 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

All in all it was a pretty lousy experience.

The strange thing is, I can't understand why people would get so upset about this movie. 

Because for alot of people, myself included were unhappy that they took a beloved franchise from out childhood and made a half arsed reboot to cash in on this SJW movement. A similar thing happened with Blaxploitation years ago when films were being made to pander to a democratic. 

What I think made things worse was when SJW's came out the woodwork taking any criticism of the premise or half arsed feel of it or the awful trailers and ignored the given criticisms and accused all of them of being sexist.

Perfect example was James Rolfe aka The Angry Video Game Nerd

A pretty calm conversation about the film. His fans had been wondering what his thoughts were regarding it and he states that it doesnt interest him so rather than sit and criticize the film and go on about it, hes simply not gonna see it and leave it be.

The amount of heat and rage from the SJW crowd and media he got for this was fucking insane, he was accused of being a angry fanboy, sexist and just about everything the could think of. His reputation took a big hit because of it. Now if you watch the video he really doesnt say anything out of place and at no point states his lack of interest is due to changing the cast to women.

Kate Mckinnon seems to have extremely divided opinion in the movie with people either loving her or absolutely hating her.

For me it was like watching someone in a completely different movie from the rest of the cast. It was like the rest of them were acting out their scenes while she was taking part in a Saturday night live sketch, with awful one liners that were out of place or even scenes when she's in the background she would be pulling funny faces etc.

The other 3 ghostbusters all felt like as real characters as you can find in a comedy like this, but she didn't have a believable bone in her body. She's obviously supposed to be the kooky Bill Murray of this franchise but Bill Murray had a believability to his character and he had actual storylines and plot developments written for him, while Mckinnons character even more than the others was the exact same character at the beginning of the movie as she was at the end, down to the fact she literally had no storyline at all.

2 hours ago, port-ton said:

Kate Mckinnon seems to have extremely divided opinion in the movie with people either loving her or absolutely hating her.

For me it was like watching someone in a completely different movie from the rest of the cast. It was like the rest of them were acting out their scenes while she was taking part in a Saturday night live sketch, with awful one liners that were out of place or even scenes when she's in the background she would be pulling funny faces etc.

The other 3 ghostbusters all felt like as real characters as you can find in a comedy like this, but she didn't have a believable bone in her body. She's obviously supposed to be the kooky Bill Murray of this franchise but Bill Murray had a believability to his character and he had actual storylines and plot developments written for him, while Mckinnons character even more than the others was the exact same character at the beginning of the movie as she was at the end, down to the fact she literally had no storyline at all.

Your second paragraph is bang on. It was like she was acting in a different movie to everyone else. She seemed a bit "Phoebe Buffay" from the off but the scene in the mansion with the first ghost, where she's eating Pringles, is just extraordinary. It seems so out of place and tees up a cavalcade of mugging and no jokes.

I mean its not like the film has a agenda or is pandering to a demographic...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paul-feig-why-men-arent-449025

"It makes sense. Men are genetically programmed to hunt and gather. It is they who must impregnate the herd and protect the collective. And so it's only logical that their brains would need to possess lower humor standards in order to pass the hours entertainingly with their cohorts while stalking that night's dinner or standing guard against the enemy. Imagine if they had to amuse their fellow warriors with jokes and banter that were actually funny. That impossibly high standard would leave them in such despair that they would become easy prey. Imagine the despondent hero, now tribeless, wandering the wastelands and muttering in tragic self-awareness, "I can't believe I thought those limericks about that guy from Nantucket were funny." "

e5U8kvP.jpg

It reads like a tongue-in-cheek response to an old Christopher Hitchens article about women not being funny (in which he makes references to men being funnier than women due to "evolution").

But maybe it isn't. Maybe it's more SJW propaganda aimed at demeaning and emasculating men. Probably not though. 

A lot of the hostility towards this film seems to come from the view that the original Ghostbusters was a classic. It was good, but not that amazing I watched it the other night and thought it was just a good comedy film. Gremlins was released in the same week, Gremlins is a far superior film. If there is a Gremlins remake and Gizmo has tits then god help those movie moguls.

Saw it today. Impressed by how much I enjoyed it TBH; probably more than the second one of the originals. They went their own way with it; it's a different style of comedy from the old films, which fans of the originals might not appreciate as much, but it's certainly not worth getting upset about if you don't. I thought the effects were fine too, despite reading a lot of criticism about them. I'd quite happily watch a sequel, as teased at the end of the credits. Oh, and I thought Holtzmann was the best thing about it; go figure.

Whoever put those trailers together needs shooting, as even stuff like the possession scene worked well enough during the film. I'd imagine they put more people off than they attracted.

Stop giving them ideas!  We need a gremlins 3 not a remake.  Zach Galligan needs the work and I'm betting Phobe Cates will be in milf by now.

IMG_1469523574.310292.jpg.ece108d41f5b6c

You're welcome!!!

13 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

I thought McKinnan was the best thing in it as well, although the reasons for that are mainly that both Wiig and McCarthy were dreadfully dull characters and she represented a breath of fresh air.

I disagree about Kate McKinnon's performance but I do agree with your comments about Kirsten Wiig and Melissa McCarthy. Both actors are usually really good so to see them both play it so straight was disappointing. Despite needing both characters to set the story in motion, they could have actually combined the two into the one character for all the difference between them.

My parents went to see the film last night and said it was shite. Only good part was slimer. reason people hate is nothing to do with it being women ghostbusters. it lets reboot a iconic 80's film that didn't need rebooting. I'm not going to watch it and probably get called a sexist fanboy.

Archived