20 Fags

Steady!

Went to the shop earlier for cigarettes for my girlfriend, and asked for 20 whatever...

The woman serving gave me the fags, and said 'There's just 19 in there, mind'.

So, I get back, and give the fags to the burd, saying that there's only 19 in the pack, and she say's 'Aye, they only sell packets of 19 now - sometimes, it's only 18!'

When did this happen? :blink:

That's what they used to sell in fag machines when I smoked. It was something like £5 worth which was less than 20. Same with rolling tobacco. You didn't get 25g for your £5

Aye, I remember that - this was from Tesco's - it's obviously done for the financial benefit of the fag companies.

Sometimes in the good old days, when you bought fags out of a vending machine, if there was only 18 or 19 in the pack then the change was sellotaped onto the packet.

p.s. when I first started buying ciggies, a pack of 20 regal king size cost me 54 pence! If we wanted to look cool at school, we bought the new on the market Lambert and Butler in the silver packet for 50p.

p.p.s. my local chippy/chipper used to sell single ciggies for 3p.

Sometimes in the good old days, when you bought fags out of a vending machine, if there was only 18 or 19 in the pack then the change was sellotaped onto the packet.

p.s. when I first started buying ciggies, a pack of 20 regal king size cost me 54 pence! If we wanted to look cool at school, we bought the new on the market Lambert and Butler in the silver packet for 50p.

p.p.s. my local chippy/chipper used to sell single ciggies for 3p.

:lol: Ah, the memories! Can you still buy 'singles'?

Fucking youngsters and their fancy-priced tobacco. BTW Regal was a jakey smoke and Regal king size was for jakeys who robbed their maw's pension book.

After I left school a pint of Export was about 23p in the Garrion Hotel in Motherwell and 20 Embassy tipped (not a jakey smoke) was about 25p. Thus you could have 3 pints and 20 cigarettes for £1.

£1 for 10 B&H and a box of matches at the Texaco at the Mearns cross when I started.

Probably about 1990 I think.

A lad at school used to carry around a 10 deck with one left in it so he didn't need to tap anyone.

Fucker used to buy 20 every morning out of Forbhoys newsagents at Harvie shops.

Firsts.... seconds.... Last draw.

. . .Shit draw. . .Wid. . . That was the old shout in the lavs at Queen Anne High school!

It is Fife after all :unsure:

No wonder when it's £9.50 a pack. When I was a lad it was £1.10 for 10 regal and we used to smoke behind the games hall at Queen Anne.

One time a teacher chased us across the field in his car, them were t' days...

Fucking youngsters and their fancy-priced tobacco. BTW Regal was a jakey smoke and Regal king size was for jakeys who robbed their maw's pension book.

After I left school a pint of Export was about 23p in the Garrion Hotel in Motherwell and 20 Embassy tipped (not a jakey smoke) was about 25p. Thus you could have 3 pints and 20 cigarettes for £1.

Surely all cigarettes are a jakey smoke seeing as smoking is a hideously peasant and tinky past time?

Oh and folk smoked behind the music house when I was at Queen Anne. The chip van that parked at the high rises on Pilmuir Street sold individual fags (and a decenr half pizza). I recall that the residents of said flats were fond of chucking eggs whenever any crowds of pupils were gathered below.

I recall that the residents of said flats were fond of chucking eggs whenever any crowds of pupils were gathered below.

Tangent, but a lasting school memory is a suicidal guy on the edge of one of those flat balconies with the crowd of school kids shouting "jump jump jump!".

Tangent, but a lasting school memory is a suicidal guy on the edge of one of those flat balconies with the crowd of school kids shouting "jump jump jump!".

I wasn't there but mind hearing about it.

Nothing will beat the bouncing tyre though.

A guy I knew never smoked at all yet ran a successful small breaktime business by distributing fags bought for him by his older brother.

Better that than folk smoking bits of ripped out jotter paper with nothing else in it behind a hedge I suppose.

Eta: I think he eventually took over the running of his dad's own business actually. Who needs Higher Business Studies at school, eh?

I just sold conkers. Well, until my mum sussed out where the sandwich bags were going anyway.

Edited by Hedgecutter