Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

I worked with an older guy who'd just become a dad of a wee boy they called Alan, one day at work he said to me that if they had had a wee girl then he had a really beautiful name picked out.

He then half whispered as he waved his hand across in front of himself as if imagining the name written up in lights..........Shakira.

Oh aye, lovely.

I wonder if young Alan knows how lucky he is and what a near miss he had.

• 1 month later...

Maybe this is more of a PTTGOYN, but there's a woman that takes her primary school kid to school on my bus every morning who constantly calls him C.J. whilst talking to him.

Or maybe his name is actually Seejay.

There's a kid called CJ in my son's class at school. Everybody calls him that, it's written on all the school stuff, etc. Was talking to their teacher one day when his mother strode past yelling "CJ!", so I asked the teacher what CJ actually stood for. I got a pained look followed by, "that's his name" :blink:

Kid's school is also full of girls whose mothers used classic car catalogues for inspiration (Porsche, Mercedes, etc).

There's a journo/ presenter called Richard Quest.

Dick Quest is probably the ultimate name.

Pretty sure this was a text adventure for the Spectrum too.

On other names, I know a bloke called Pol (not Paul) Burns, who's a lovely guy. However, to his wife's horror, he insisted that the names of any children they have come from a list he drew up many years before. I forget the whole thing, but Chemical and Carpet were on there. They're now in their forties and childless. Yes, I'm aware of how bullshit that reads, but it doesn't make it any less true.

About fifteen years ago, there was an Iranian laddie in Birmingham whose surname was Shite, spelled just like that.

On the subject of people with certain names sharing traits, has else anyone noticed that lassies called Karen tend to be absolute rides and a little bit mental? :ph34r:

You know when people tell you, before relating a story, "This is true?" So immediately you are sceptical? Well this is true.

I saw the name written before I spoke it: Nevaeh. I asked the grandmother how to pronounce it, wondering if it was Polish or something. "Nivea," came the reply. Resisting references to cosmetic products I expressed my lack of familiarity with this monicker. "Look at it, stupid," I was instructed. "It's heaven backwards."

This was the name of one baby in the ward last week. There also was an aria, a Matthew, an Oleg (polish, believe after daddy) and I didn't catch the French ones name.

Guess which one already has a social worker attached

This was the name of one baby in the ward last week. There also was an aria, a Matthew, an Oleg (polish, believe after daddy) and I didn't catch the French ones name.

Guess which one already has a social worker attached

Wild guess here - Aria?