Stupid Names For Kids

Romeo

2 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm hoping it's apocryphal but supposedly there's a child in the Greenock area called La-a. It's pronounced Ladasha according to the mother.

Is she a relation of Pocahontas McGinty?

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

pronounced "taramasalata"

I can only think people give their children unspellable and unpronounceable names to get revenge at teachers. At least that kid should be ahead of the curve in infant school. 

I'm hoping it's apocryphal but supposedly there's a child in the Greenock area called La-a. It's pronounced Ladasha according to the mother.

There categorically is a child in the Glasgow area with that name, my better half has met them.
Was going to say that it was almost certainly apocryphal since the same name came up at my school as a pupil who was at a local primary and would be joining us in the next session. But then Inanimate Carbon Rod dropped that bombshell...

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

There categorically is a child in the Glasgow area with that name, my better half has met them.

Hope you haven't given her your card details.

Edited by welshbairn

When I was working in China I realised that the locals liked to give themselves Western names so that the expats could remember them and pronounce them easier. I met Stone, Jobs and Yahoo.

I have also met a Stone, Pan, Eric and Mikey...all from China/Thailand. Quite an eclectic mix.

7 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

When I was working in China I realised that the locals liked to give themselves Western names so that the expats could remember them and pronounce them easier. I met Stone, Jobs and Yahoo.

My Chinese neighbours explained they'd given their kids western names. Katie was lucky but I'm not so sure Ting was, especially as their surname was Tang.

All the kids sang Ting Tang wolla woolla bing bang at him. Although I started that to be honest.