Any lunatics still thinking Messi is the best?

Mr Romanov

• 4 weeks later...

I reckon (still) that there's nothing between them. I'd say that Ronaldo's a better athlete and Messi's a little more skillful. They both score over a goal a game and I've not seen any major differences in the mental/vision side of things. People will generally pick the one they prefer as the best. I personally prefer Ronaldo, but I couldn't say categorically that one was better than the other.

Ah yes, grown men supporting individual footballlers. Allow me to file that in "things that make you a weirdo and a danger to children" in between having an NFL team when you aren't American and having a Formula 1 team.

Edited by Guest

Ah yes, grown men supporting individual footballlers. Allow me to file that in "things that make you a weirdo and a danger to children" in between having an NFL team when you aren't American and having a Formula 1 team.

Just below being part of an internet group that gives the illusion you are 'dece', imo.

It's going to be interesting to see who ends their career as the top scorer in CL history.

It's not really since the same players for the same Clubs will continue to compete in the competition every year going forward........they should just give the usual suspects a bye to the knock out stage!

He certainly was the best up until the end of the 2013/14 season. I think Ronaldo has kicked on from then and is currently the best.

I think its wrong to suggest Messi has went backwards, I just think Ronaldo has took his game up a notch. I fully expect Messi to do the same.

I am just enjoying these 2 players while we still have them.

Just think in maybe 5 years time they will probably both be over the hill :( .

There is no comparison really between them this season. Ronaldo has been part of a 2 man strike force, and messi has been more of a playmaker. I've hardly seen him in the box this season tbh.

Pretty much this. They're now playing in different roles, and both excelling. They're the two best players in football history, it really is a pleasure to watch them play at the peak of their powers. I'll be amazed if Messi's 2012 is ever bettered, football and goalscoring at a level never before seen.

I find Ronaldo fucks up a lot more than Messi. You can't argue with either's stats and abilities but Ronaldo seems to fail a lot with some basic technique stuff. I say that knowing that at times he does things that take unbelievable technique but just sometimes he'll hit like a ten yard pass astray or just run and fall over and shit.

It doesn't take away from his overall performance in 90m but I think think Messi is the more technical and gifted footballer.

• 1 month later...

Messi scored his 3rd hat-trick in 4 games this evening. Shall we just turn this into an appreciation thread of the two greatest players of all time?

Agreed, Messi was unquestionably better in the years he won his 4 Ballon D'Or's and now the past year or so Ronaldo has unquestionably been better and he'll probably win his 3rd Ballon D'Or early next year after another incredible season.

They are two of the best footballers ever imo and we should appreciate living in the same generation as these two and getting to watch them every week. As someone else said we might never see anyone as good as Ronaldo or Messi again so I'm going to sit back and enjoy their brilliance rather than compare them when one has a better season than the other.