Glastonbury 2015

Ziggy

Struggling to see the Foos coming close to matching the sheer number of hits, intensity, stage presence or even attention that Kanye did but then I stopped listening to luddite rock music years ago.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

West is surely a media freak show, a musical anti Christ of digital beat noise. I would want earplugs if I was within 2 miles of him and his mic.

Not at all. As I said on here earlier, I have no doubt he'll go down a storm and I'll probably watch it on TV.

Highly unlikely I will change my opinion that he's an absolute pube and his music's pish though.

post-42418-14354513864827_thumb.jpg

Hip hop used to be underground rebel music from the streets with clever lyricists. Pretty cool how it evolved from James brown rapping with Bobby Byrd. But now it's just corporate bullshit and Kanye is at the fore front of this bulshit. C.R.E.A.M dollar dollar bill y'all. Let's nots forget it's always I the one.

Hip hop used to be underground rebel music from the streets with clever lyricists. Pretty cool how it evolved from James brown rapping with Bobby Byrd. But now it's just corporate bullshit and Kanye is at the fore front of this bulshit. C.R.E.A.M dollar dollar bill y'all. Let's nots forget it's always I the one.

Well that is just rubbish. None of his albums are the same. He's experimented with various different techniques of producing music and how it sounds. Also changing what he raps about from time to time. Kanye is an innovator in an otherwise fairly dull period of hip-hop, you'd know that if you paid any attention to it.

Yes but it isn't anymore. How's your mossy patch under your rock grandpa?

"IN MY DAY PUNK WAS AN INSULT AND BAIRLY A MUSICAL MOVEMENT"

Not even sure why "corporate bullshit" is even relevant to anything. If people like the music, then why does anything else matter?

Even the fact that he's a dickhead, and Kanye West is a massive dickhead, doesn't detract from the fact that he's pretty good at what he does. Also a cracking showman.

Not even sure why "corporate bullshit" is even relevant to anything. If people like the music, then why does anything else matter?

Even the fact that he's a dickhead, and Kanye West is a massive dickhead, doesn't detract from the fact that he's pretty good at what he does. Also a cracking showman.

Right. It's kind of the thing that the NME rails against under some kind of delusion of rebellion.

But it also points to how well Glastonbury has marketed itself - it's as corporate as any festival on the circuit, often running a year behind the others with folk performing off 2013/14 albums and yet there's all your nonsense about it being a life choice.

Kanye absolutely nailed it last night. He was always going to have his self-indulgence during it, but he brought out the hits when he needed to. His stage production was absolutely spot on. If we're comparing him to Jay-Z a few years back (lets just compare the black people's headline sets), Jay-Z was musically far better, but as a show overall, Kanye completely wins it. I don't think anyone watching that knew what was coming next, and thats what you want from a headliner. Outstanding.

The headliner choice tonight is difficult. I'd go to Ryan Adams every single day of the week, but I'd be gutted to have missed FFS and Flying Lotus. Hopefully there will be some of their sets on iPlayer tomorrow. My afternoon is perfectly sorted with The Staves, Lionel Ritchie, Future Islands then Perfume Genius, assuming the BBC shows all of them.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/kanye-west-glastonbury-10-most-5963210

The reporter's being uber-generous by only highlighting the things in the article. As the great Don McLean once penned, this was "the day the music died". Music festivals these days are for 16 - 25 year olds. They apparently lurve this "muzak".

God, i've turned into my faither.

Even for those who somehow have no idea what Kanye West is all about you'd have been able to tell after about 10 seconds of his performance if you were going to enjoy it or not. Why you'd stick with it just to get annoyed is beyond me. He's personally not my cup of tea but he was a great choice for a headliner.

Flicked over for a few tunes and thought Kanye was pretty gash. Went back to Ben Howard. Liked some of his older stuff but he's a producer first, mediocre rapper second.

Not going to win any new fans with a performance like that.

Archived