Jeremy Clarkson

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched both episodes back to back for some masochistic reason. Contrived and dull apart from the scenery. They clearly edited it loads after the fuss, but you could tell they wanted to make a joke about going to the home port of the Belgrano on which 323 mainly conscripts lost their lives. Sick fkers, might have thrown the odd egg myself.

Indeed. I don't mind a joke about a tragedy that happened decades ago but the Belgrano attack was a war crime and no one, even the mine-closing, poll-taxing Top Gear crew, should be taking some sort of pride in it.

Just watched both episodes back to back for some masochistic reason. Contrived and dull apart from the scenery. They clearly edited it loads after the fuss, but you could tell they wanted to make a joke about going to the home port of the Belgrano on which 323 mainly conscripts lost their lives. Sick fkers, might have thrown the odd egg myself.

Indeed. I don't mind a joke about a tragedy that happened decades ago but the Belgrano attack was a war crime and no one, even the mine-closing, poll-taxing Top Gear crew, should be taking some sort of pride in it.

Aye, we watched both episodes today, and I said much the same to Mrs Gilp at the end.

I tell you what it must've been some research taken to find a car that references it on the numberplate.

Not really.

1) Search the right databases for number-plates like FKL 1982, J982 FKL, H982 FKL etc

2) Find a point of interest about it (something like "Look, it's got a V8 engine")

3) Buy the car

4) Give it to Jeremy

5) Get two other cars with the same point of interest

6) Give these cars to the two sidekicks

Bollocks it was.

The captain of the Belgrano said "It was an act of war. The acts of those who are at war, like the submarine’s attack, are not a crime … The crime is the war. We were on the front line and suffered the consequences. On April 30, we were authorised to open fire, and if the submarine had surfaced in front of me I would have opened fire with all our 15 guns until it sank.”

Which war crime would that be then? It wasn't a civilian target nor did it pertain to treatment of prisoners of war and no internationally prohibited weaponry was used (e.g. chemical weapons).

A crime against peace, possibly, but by no means a war crime.

You're clearly more knowledgeable on the international code of justice than I, Ad Lib- but I hope you're not defending said attack, which killed 300 people who weren't even facing the right way.

Why was the British task force there in the first place ?

Oh.. That's right.

You're clearly more knowledgeable on the international code of justice than I, Ad Lib- but I hope you're not defending said attack, which killed 300 people who weren't even facing the right way.

Warships are a bit sneaky like that, they don't always go in straight lines and have a nasty habit of changing course. The ship was full of soldiers they were trying to land on the Falklands during a war. It forced the Argentinian navy to stay in port for the rest of the conflict, it was a justifiable act of war. But Top Gear making a joke out of it was shameful.

They must have been facing the right way, how could they know where they were going otherwise?

Bollocks it was.

The captain of the Belgrano said "It was an act of war. The acts of those who are at war, like the submarine’s attack, are not a crime … The crime is the war. We were on the front line and suffered the consequences. On April 30, we were authorised to open fire, and if the submarine had surfaced in front of me I would have opened fire with all our 15 guns until it sank.”

One consequence of the Belgrano sinking was the destruction of the credibility of Admiral Anaya, probably the most gung-ho member of the ruling military junta and the man who drew up the plans for the whole shooting match, when in the aftermath of the sinking the Argentinian Navy elected to spend the remainder of the proceedings tied up in port.

Ironically, the head of the Argentinian Air Force Lami Dozo - which unlike their navy performed well during the conflict - was the sole member of the junta to argue against military intervention in the Falklands in the first place.

By the same token the men walking towards the german guns at the Somme deserved everything they got as they would have killed the enemy given the chance. Still doesn't seem like something you would particularly want to glory in though.

Who is glorying in it?

Archived