Detectorists

happysouth

This was my discovery on iPlayer over the holidays. All three series devoured, I really loved it. Strange how Simon & Garfunkel getting involved in building a gazebo becomes a moving finale. Great writing, great acting, just a perfect holiday treasure.

I see what you did there.

• 3 months later...

I’ve been watching all the series on iplayer over the last couple of months. Just finished series 3. I never got into this when it was on telly, as to be honest the adverts for it looked a bit shit. However, I have been won over by it. It’s a great show for watching on your own. Really easy going.

I really hope they do make Series 4, although going by online reports that’s unlikely.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very late to the party but still glad I turned up. Brilliant show. About as subtle a comedy you'll find but it works so well. It reminded me a lot of Whitehouse and Mortimer's Gone Fishing in that not a lot happens yet you're completely engrossed and extremely relaxed.

Was gutted when I finished them but absolutely buzzing they are making a feature length - surely they're going to hit a bit of a jackpot?

Quite surprised my favourite scene of the entire show wasn't highlighted in this thread. The one where they are all drinking the mad woman's lemonade and are disgusted but are 'being very British' about it by not telling her it's awful, just struggling away to get it down. Thought it was fantastically done with being OTT. Had to rewind that scene as I was laughing so much.

• 2 months later...
On 29/08/2022 at 11:18, peasy23 said:

Filming starts on Thursday according to one of the replies.

A little more on the final feature length episode of one the greatest ever U.K. TV shows.  

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/comedy/mackenzie-crook-detectorists-special-diana-rigg/?fbclid=IwAR3Lmg3_TxmF2m6G4BJCY21_UWEFmKEJtAqR1TK3RyWD_SrpbNCaZbApflw

• 4 weeks later...

Well???

Didn't anybody else watch it on Boxing Day, ending with the ultimate find, kind of!!!

lovely way to end it but tbh if the want to make a Christmas Special every couple of years I’d be ok with that too!!!

They kept us guessing right enough! 

Felt sure the Simon and Garfunkle rivals were going to find the gold, then that it wasn't going to get found. Pure anxiety while those two were detectoring. Bittersweet when Andy found it and brilliant acting (of course) from Toby Jones when the reality dawned on him. Then more anxiety when the group were clearing out the kitchen and chucking stuff in the skip. The thunder/earthquakes and then the ending (with the post-it note "Best Before" date!) was just right. Chef's kiss stuff. Noticed Prof Alice Roberts was in the credits but don't think I actually saw her? Best laugh out loud moment was the bit about Hugh being a "Good lad" then him replying with his age.

Superb programme and so glad they made this special. Something nice at the end of a shitty year.

PS The wife now has Johnny Flynn on a loop on Spotify and it's no bad thing.

8 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

They kept us guessing right enough! 

Hide contents

Felt sure the Simon and Garfunkle rivals were going to find the gold, then that it wasn't going to get found. Pure anxiety while those two were detectoring. Bittersweet when Andy found it and brilliant acting (of course) from Toby Jones when the reality dawned on him. Then more anxiety when the group were clearing out the kitchen and chucking stuff in the skip. The thunder/earthquakes and then the ending (with the post-it note "Best Before" date!) was just right. Chef's kiss stuff. Noticed Prof Alice Roberts was in the credits but don't think I actually saw her? Best laugh out loud moment was the bit about Hugh being a "Good lad" then him replying with his age.

Superb programme and so glad they made this special. Something nice at the end of a shitty year.

PS The wife now has Johnny Flynn on a loop on Spotify and it's no bad thing.

Someone on The Times comments thought Alice Roberts was leaving the British museum just after Lance and Andy on her phone. I've rewound a couple of times but don't think it is.

16 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Someone on The Times comments thought Alice Roberts was leaving the British museum just after Lance and Andy on her phone. I've rewound a couple of times but don't think it is.

It appears it was - there were some photos on Twitter and she seems to have pink hair or something a bit strange.

On 28/12/2022 at 15:45, jimmy boo said:

Yup.   She was pottering on her phone, and they missed her when they were desperately trying to call Terry.   

• 2 weeks later...